Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>I've never hunted.....
rck70 08:54 AM 11-10-2008
But want to.....what kind of beginner gun should i look for. i live in florida, want to go to Georgia to hunt, where do i start for planning. i am not in a hurry, just want to start the investgating process.....:-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 08:56 AM 11-10-2008
Take a local Hunter Safety course first. Local conservation office should help with times and locations. Guys there can help with all types of questions.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 08:58 AM 11-10-2008
what all are you looking at hunting?
[Reply]
rck70 09:05 AM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
what all are you looking at hunting?
I don't know....do you recommend anything....is Deer standard, or other little critters....i know nothing.....sorry
[Reply]
ahc4353 09:12 AM 11-10-2008
Do a search for a local Fish and Game Club. You need to find local guys to show you the ropes. So much of this is so much more than can be covered here. I think it's great you want to get started I just want you to get started correctly.

If you wanna move to Jersey I will be glad to help you. :-)
[Reply]
TripleF 09:13 AM 11-10-2008
About hafl way down this link RUSS, there's some info on a Safety Course:

FloridaConservation

I'm with ya on this bro. BTW, we are going to shoot TRAP on Friday the 28th if you want to come along. It'l be the first time I've shot a shotgun on over 25 years and I can't freakin' wait!! :-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 09:14 AM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by TripleF:
About hafl way down this link RUSS, there's some info on a Safety Course:

FloridaConservation

I'm with ya on this bro. BTW, we are going to shoot TRAP on Friday the 28th if you want to come along. It'l be the first time I've shot a shotgun on over 25 years and I can't freakin' wait!! :-)
Great idea! You will meet some hunters there for sure!
[Reply]
SvilleKid 09:26 AM 11-10-2008
Too little information, to be sure!!

Small game, slow moving and decent range shots, .22 rifle. This especially for squirrel after leaves mostly off trees. use scope just about as good as on a deer rifle.

Fast moving small game like rabbit, quail, dove calls for shotgun. A pump (Rem. model 870 comes to mind) works good for beginners. A 20 gauge is what I use, but novices may need the better stopping power and pellet load of 12 gauge. Heavier gun, tires you out faster than a 20 gauge, plus does not "swing" as fast/easily when tracking fast moving game.

Deer is anybody's preference. Shotguns with Buckshot or slug for really short shooting areas (heavy woods, short sight distances). Right shotgun and changeable barrels gives a multi-use gun, but limited to no more than 40 +/- yard shots for best chances of kills. Next would be .30-30. These can be had used in lever action (especially Marlins) for very reasonable, and are solid performers over 100 yards, good up to 200, but requires good sights and understanding of bullet drop over shot distances. 30-30 is my main-stay for woods and small field hunting. Always has stopped cleanly the deer I've shot, and here in my area of the south, not as many long shot possibilities demanding any bigger gun. Plus 30-30 was helped a couple years ago with introduction of ballistic tip ammo for better long distance shooting. Smaller bullet weight (as opposed to .30-06, .270 and .308) lacks knock-down power for some shooters and over longer ranges.

Longer ranges, .30-06, .270 or .308 are common, and all can do the job about equally well on any deer you will find in Georgia. These are all very accurate at 200 yards and even can be reliably certain at 300 - 400 yards in the right hands. I shoot a .30-06 for longer shot hunting areas and my son goes for a .270.

Anything smaller like a .223 has great ballistics, high muzzle velocities and long range accuracy, but really lacks the knock-down killing power for most medium to large deer. If you are going to shoot it, you need to plan to kill it. Only humane way.

If you have never hunted before, and want to start, I would recommend squirrel hunting with a good .22 rifle with a 4x9 power scope, at least 40mm optics. Take a good hunters education course (a requirement for hunting license in most states), and if little gun safety is discussed, take a gun course. That will also help in learning correct shooting positions and methods as well as safety requirements.

Good luck on the endeavor.
[Reply]
shilala 09:46 AM 11-10-2008
When I was a kid I like to use a single shot .22lr for squirrels. Later I added a scope, it made things a lot different and more fun, plus I brought home a lot more dinner.
For deer I use a .35 Remington, but that's cause I hunt in the brush on the edge of farm fields. If I was hunting in the wide open I'd shoot a .257 or .243 cause I'm a pretty flat shooter.

The laws dictate what you can use, gun-wise, to some extent. Here you can use most anything for anything you want to hunt.
The game dictates what you want to use.
A nice semi-auto or pump 12 guage is good for lots of game. You could actually use it for everything from squirrel to turkey to deer.
[Reply]
Diesel Kinevel 10:01 AM 11-10-2008
first off take a hunters saftey course, the guys or gals who put on the class can definatly answer any question you might have. Just be warned hunting is just as steep a slope as cigars...
[Reply]
gvarsity 10:01 AM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Too little information, to be sure!!

Small game, slow moving and decent range shots, .22 rifle. This especially for squirrel after leaves mostly off trees. use scope just about as good as on a deer rifle.

Fast moving small game like rabbit, quail, dove calls for shotgun. A pump (Rem. model 870 comes to mind) works good for beginners. A 20 gauge is what I use, but novices may need the better stopping power and pellet load of 12 gauge. Heavier gun, tires you out faster than a 20 gauge, plus does not "swing" as fast/easily when tracking fast moving game.

Deer is anybody's preference. Shotguns with Buckshot or slug for really short shooting areas (heavy woods, short sight distances). Right shotgun and changeable barrels gives a multi-use gun, but limited to no more than 40 +/- yard shots for best chances of kills. Next would be .30-30. These can be had used in lever action (especially Marlins) for very reasonable, and are solid performers over 100 yards, good up to 200, but requires good sights and understanding of bullet drop over shot distances. 30-30 is my main-stay for woods and small field hunting. Always has stopped cleanly the deer I've shot, and here in my area of the south, not as many long shot possibilities demanding any bigger gun. Plus 30-30 was helped a couple years ago with introduction of ballistic tip ammo for better long distance shooting. Smaller bullet weight (as opposed to .30-06, .270 and .308) lacks knock-down power for some shooters and over longer ranges.

Longer ranges, .30-06, .270 or .308 are common, and all can do the job about equally well on any deer you will find in Georgia. These are all very accurate at 200 yards and even can be reliably certain at 300 - 400 yards in the right hands. I shoot a .30-06 for longer shot hunting areas and my son goes for a .270.

Anything smaller like a .223 has great ballistics, high muzzle velocities and long range accuracy, but really lacks the knock-down killing power for most medium to large deer. If you are going to shoot it, you need to plan to kill it. Only humane way.

If you have never hunted before, and want to start, I would recommend squirrel hunting with a good .22 rifle with a 4x9 power scope, at least 40mm optics. Take a good hunters education course (a requirement for hunting license in most states), and if little gun safety is discussed, take a gun course. That will also help in learning correct shooting positions and methods as well as safety requirements.

Good luck on the endeavor.
Great post. Hits my experience perfectly. I started squirrel hunting with a .22 when I was a kid. Some of my best hunting memories. Squirrel stew is damn good if you are hunting corn fed squirrels like we were.

I currently hunt in a thick birch woods/swamp with a .30-.30 lever action Marlin. You are definitely right about the drop but damn accurate gun, easy to use and maintain. Got a buck last year at over 200 yards with it. It was on the two track that goes into the property not in the woods which is why the long shot. I also have also used a .308 Mauser hunting by cornfields which is very accurate 400+.

I would also say hunting is much about who you hunt with as what you are hunting. Squirrel hunting with my grandfather was some of the best time I ever spent with him. He is also why I started deer hunting and I continue in large part because that is the only time of year I see that wing of my family. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the hunting but the comraderie is as much of the event as the hunt itself. It also helps when hunting larger game like deer to be hunting with experienced hunters because gutting your first buck is harder than one would think. Getting some direction and good natured joshing from more experienced hunters makes it a lot easier.

This past weekend was opener where I normally hunt and due to a confluence of things out of my control I had to miss this year for the first time in a long time. Will likely get in a local hunt later but missed deer camp with my family.
[Reply]
SSatVT 10:03 AM 11-10-2008
It really depends on what you like. I personally prefer to hunt deer and rabbits, but that is because I hunt with dogs. I use a 12 gauge shotgun for both (I am a poor college student, so I don't have a 20ga or 16ga) where I hunt in eastern Virginia you can't use centerfire rifles during deer season.

If you have experience with trap or skeet, then you might like birds more.

And then there are Turkeys. I have a bunch of friends that LOVE to hunt them. It takes a lot of skill to do successfully (on you own).

The best all around gun (as mentioned above) is a shotgun, and I would say a 12ga. I have been shooting a 870 Wingmaster since I was 12 and have never had a problem getting it around or tiring me out (but then again at 12 years old I was 5'11"). Now my deer gun is a Mossberg 535 with a 22" barrel, and the 870 gets the lighter field work, and will be all but completely retired when I find a Browning Light 12 :-) that I can afford.

However, to get started, take the hunting course offered by Florida's Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. They will tell you everything you need to know about hunting (mainly in Florida, but most of that information transfers to neighboring states).

Good Luck and enjoy.
[Reply]
Up