Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Question about screws/rods in body...
Darrell 07:44 PM 11-09-2008
This is for anyone who has screws or rods in their body due to operations.

Is it common for the area they are to ache when it's cold outside and is it true this lasts for as long as you live?

I ask because my pain is OK on the incision site, but below where the screws are, they get this deep ache to them when I'm cold.

Any info is appreciated. :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 07:55 PM 11-09-2008
Darrell, as you may know, I have a few pieces of hardware in my body and they always tend to be real sore/akward feeling during the colder weather. In general my knee feels much worse during cold weather and at times when there is drastic weather changes. Don't know how much feeling you have back on top of your knee like sensitivity, but I still can't feel touch on my skin near my main scar from the nerves they had to cut through. Best of luck on a continued speedy recovery :-)
[Reply]
Old Sailor 08:28 PM 11-09-2008
You a walkin barometer now Darrell.
[Reply]
shilala 12:43 AM 11-10-2008
I can feel two of the lumpy screwheads in my back all the time. There's about a square foot of ache back there, I figure it'll go away when it heals up.
If it feels like this forever, I'll still be happy. Huge improvement.
Someone asked me yesterday if I can feel the weather via the metal. I can't, but I can sure feel it in my knees and wrists. :-)
[Reply]
smokinj 01:12 AM 11-10-2008
from my experiences, yes
[Reply]
bobarian 10:41 AM 11-10-2008
I felt the metal in my back for probably 7-10 yrs before I stopped noticing it when the weather changed. I know Steve's leg has been hurting lately as well. 2 weeks post op, you are going to feel it.
[Reply]
piperman 11:18 AM 11-10-2008
Cold is no fun when you have hardware in you, thats why I moved to the heat, I have nuts bolts and wire., mine has been over twenty years so I guess it will last a life time.
[Reply]
kayak_rat 11:47 AM 11-10-2008
Got screws in my knee as well darrel. Yes it will be achy. Old Sailor said it best.....you are a walking barometer. This is great thought for hunting and fishing.... :-)
[Reply]
Cigary 12:39 PM 11-10-2008
Look at the positive side,,,you will know the weather before the rest of us. I don't have the metal in my body but the arthritus I have makes me a weather vane,,,who needs Doppler?
[Reply]
gpugliese 12:49 PM 11-10-2008
I've got a titanium rod in my left femur, screws near my hip, and a ti-plate w/ screws in one of my collarbones.

Since I got the lower screws taken out of my knee, the "cold aching" has decreased a bit, but I still notice my knee acting up sometimes when cold.

I'll tell you what though... I never really noticed it until someone asked about the effect cold weather has on my knee. Now I notice it much more. D'oh!
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 12:58 PM 11-10-2008
Yep. Had my knee redone at 16 and I'm pushing 32 now. I feel the weather a little more each year it seems.
[Reply]
jitzy 01:05 PM 11-10-2008
I had 4 screws and a plate in my hip when I was a kid, I'm 37 now and even though I don't have them anymore the weather affects me.
[Reply]
Jason 01:16 PM 11-10-2008
I've got some wire holding a cervical fusion together

I've got a reconstructed ACL

I feel the weather in the knee (no metal) and not the neck at all for what it's worth
[Reply]
bobarian 02:23 PM 11-10-2008
Lots of good news in this thread, eh D?:-)
[Reply]
Darrell 02:24 PM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Lots of good news in this thread, eh D?:-)
:-)
[Reply]
Up