Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Xbox - Red Ring of Death
OHRD 06:23 AM 01-14-2011
Anyone had an issue w/ this on their 360? I got the red ring two weeks ago, and then last night it completely stopped working - my warranty ended 5 months ago. Xbox wants $99 to fix it.
[Reply]
WhoDeySchenk 06:29 AM 01-14-2011
been there...3 times to be exact. Each time has been during warranty time so I've never had to pay. Look up on Ebay, there are kits you can buy with detailed instructions on how to fix it. Pretty basic, the processor gets too hot over time and comes loose off the motherboard, pretty much just swapping out some washers, etc. My friend fixed his after buying a kit, said it took him an hour or so. Been working for 2 years after, still going strong. Good Luck!
[Reply]
shilala 06:31 AM 01-14-2011
I have one that's done the same thing. I found the fix for it on the web, but haven't had time to mess with it. Iirc, it has to do with a bad clip that holds a heatsink, allowing a chip to overheat.
[Reply]
Hippi3Slay3r 06:34 AM 01-14-2011
Friend had the same issue and fixed it after watching a video on youtube. If I remember correctly it involved replacing factory heat sinks with pennys /shrug
[Reply]
HK3- 06:39 AM 01-14-2011
Happened to mine a few years back. Now it sits in the closet waiting to make the trip to the rifle range for it's proper destruction. Sad thing is that I hardly used the darn thing. What a waste of $ that was.....
[Reply]
ucla695 06:48 AM 01-14-2011
Was this the old model or the newer one?

My buddy had an OG 360 and sent it back to MSFT 2 or 3 times to fix. It finally crapped out on him and he bought the newer model. Try to fix it yourself and if that doesn't do the trick, put the $99 toward a new one. :-)
[Reply]
OHRD 07:03 AM 01-14-2011
So y'all would invest the $99 in a new one, instead of repairing this one? It was bought in Sept of '07. I don't want to send it off, pay, and then have it screw up again. ucla695 - not sure if it's old or new 360.
[Reply]
HK3- 07:35 AM 01-14-2011
I would definately spend the $99 towards the newer version.
[Reply]
shilala 08:11 AM 01-14-2011
Hang on to your hard drive if you buy another one. You can probably find an old, working, hard drive-less xbox at ebay for under $99 shipped.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 08:22 AM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
Hang on to your hard drive if you buy another one. You can probably find an old, working, hard drive-less xbox at ebay for under $99 shipped.
:-) If you go this route, you may as well also try fixing it yourself before giving up. It can't hurt if you're going to scrap it anyway.
[Reply]
rebelknight 08:28 AM 01-14-2011
Happened to me twice now. First time they fixed it for free. Second time I just paid the $99 but I'm glad I know about a cheaper fix now. Thanks
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 08:46 AM 01-14-2011
This happened to me when I 1st got a 360. I had bought the extended warranty from best buy so they just gave me a gift card and I got a PS3 and never looked back.
It sucks that you spend all that money for something that keeps breaking down.
I have never had any problems with any Playstation I ever owned!
[Reply]
maninblack 09:56 AM 01-14-2011
Happened to me last fall. They sent me a new one no questions asked.
[Reply]
ucla695 12:02 PM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael:
So y'all would invest the $99 in a new one, instead of repairing this one? It was bought in Sept of '07. I don't want to send it off, pay, and then have it screw up again. ucla695 - not sure if it's old or new 360.
That's the older model. MSFT redesigned the new ones and the RROD shouldn't be a problem. ymmv.

I had the old model PS3 and got the yellow light of death. Instead of repairing it, I put the money toward the PS3 slim and save myself the trouble. I also bought the warranty from Best Buy for peace of mind.
[Reply]
issues 12:48 PM 01-14-2011
I bought a refurb from Gamestop when my niece's went to crap. It was $100 and when I bought it, it came with a free 2 year service plan.

She just plugged her HD in and it worked without a problem...

I have had mine repaired twice. First time they sent me a new one and the second they sent me a refurb. Hopefully, this one will last a while.
[Reply]
OHRD 12:57 PM 01-14-2011
What a mess, I can't believe so many people have had problems. $300...
[Reply]
J0eybb 01:03 PM 01-14-2011
There is the Penny, or Copper trick. Assuming you are slightly mechanically inclined. Buy a small heatsink, and some thermal grease.

You can also check craigslist. There are people/pc repair places fixing it for cheaper, and no wait on shipping it out.
[Reply]
Biglizard1 11:46 AM 01-15-2011
ive had mine for 4 uears no RROD. ymmv did find that my hardrive will not work with the newer version of 360 however:-)
[Reply]
liltim 11:53 AM 01-15-2011
I've been through 3 myself since 2006. Even the Elite I bought went back. Luckily Bill Gates though some money down to fix them all. As far as I know the warranty was extended to like 3 years or something but this may not be the case for any of the newer 360s. $99 bucks is way too much besides those guys will take your money and then make you wait forever to get your new xbox. They don't even send you the same one either, you get a refurbished xbox that will break again.
[Reply]
staminator 01:01 PM 01-15-2011
So many of my friends started having this problem. That is exactly why I purchased a PS3 instead. You might want to look into PlayStation, unless you are terribly invested in Xbox Live. At the same time, though, online gaming on PS3 is...FREE. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up