Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 49 of 138
« First < 39474849 50515999 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
joeobx 03:06 PM 11-12-2010
Like what Tom and Michael said, I cant tell you all the flavors, grass, hay, cedar, oak pressure treated or what ever, but I can tell you if I like a cigar or not.
:-)
[Reply]
Commander Quan 03:26 PM 11-12-2010
Check out this video on retrohaling, which is pushing the smoke up and out through your nose. It takes some practice but you can pick up a lot more of the flavors this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMcDOSypco8
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 03:31 PM 11-12-2010
I've been smoking cigars for about 15 years. I can pick out a few flavors, but then I don't go looking for them. As Icehog says, as long as you're enjoying the cigrar, that's all the matters.
[Reply]
Chris. 03:31 PM 11-12-2010
I can pick out flavors when I focus, but usually I'm just trying to relax or enjoy some time with friends when I smoke. I really only focus on flavors for reviews or BTT's etc.
[Reply]
RatherUneek 08:10 PM 11-12-2010
Thanks for the responses guys! I have definitely been enjoying the smoke. I had a chateau real tonight which I think was my best smoke yet. Again no specific flavors came to me but is was smooth as can be.
[Reply]
jesseboston81 06:50 AM 12-21-2010
I've never been to a cigar lounge before, but with the weather the way it's been here recently I'm planning on going in the next few days. Should I bring my own "equipment" (e.g., cutter, lighter, etc.), or is that something that the lounge provides? Thanks!
[Reply]
htown 07:24 AM 12-21-2010
They will have everything you need.
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:25 AM 12-21-2010
Some places provide cutters and lighters and even cedar spills, but I never count on it -- you never know for sure. So, yes -- bring your own equipment. I also several sticks -- it's good to have an extra stick or two in case you decide to share.
[Reply]
Cohiba007 07:45 AM 12-21-2010
Is there a Cuban cigar section,reviews etc on this site I am missing somewhere?
[Reply]
pnoon 07:53 AM 12-21-2010
Originally Posted by Cohiba007:
Is there a Cuban cigar section,reviews etc on this site I am missing somewhere?
There are a number of sub forums that you will gain access to with time. Be patient. Participate in the community and doors will open.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Chris. 08:31 AM 12-21-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Some places provide cutters and lighters and even cedar spills, but I never count on it -- you never know for sure. So, yes -- bring your own equipment. I also several sticks -- it's good to have an extra stick or two in case you decide to share.
I always bring my own stuff if I'm not smoking one of their Cigars. I always buy a couple of smokes while I'm there though out of appreciation, and to be a good patron. They uaully have everything you need to smoke though. Cutters, lighters, ash trays etc.

EDIT: sorry, I meant to quote the original question. Oops.
[Reply]
MrT 12:16 PM 12-22-2010
What differences would a person notice when smoking a cigar that was kept at 45% vs 65% ?

I have a fridge that was used in the garage (and still works) but was thinking of using it with a Humi-Care XG1000 Pro Humidifier to store cigars.
- Do I need to scrub, and clean it very well prior to storage?
- Where can I buy kiln dried spanish cedar? I know I can use boxes, or pieces from boxes but would prefer to line the inside, and make it have drawers, etc.

Thanks
-T :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 12:38 PM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by MrT:
What differences would a person notice when smoking a cigar that was kept at 45% vs 65% ?

I have a fridge that was used in the garage (and still works) but was thinking of using it with a Humi-Care XG1000 Pro Humidifier to store cigars.
- Do I need to scrub, and clean it very well prior to storage?
- Where can I buy kiln dried spanish cedar? I know I can use boxes, or pieces from boxes but would prefer to line the inside, and make it have drawers, etc.

Thanks
-T :-)
45% is on the extreme low end and you risk dried out brittle wrappers. Also at this low an Rh you will lose many of the volatile oils in the cigar. Most here store between 60-70%, although some Asian collectors are said to have long term(15+ yrs) storage as low as 50%.

A working fridge is not the ideal solution for cigar storage. Usually you cant get the temp's above 60degrees without an external controller.

A cheaper alternative is a cooler/ice chest, a search on coolerdor will give you some ideas on how others have set these up. Clean the inside with baking soda on a new sponge and let it air dry for a day or so.

Spanish cedar is available from wood specialty stores like Rockler or Woodcraft.
[Reply]
v00d3W 12:44 PM 12-22-2010
A cigar at 45% would burn faster, and hotter, one kept at 65% (or as I like to keep them 70%) burns slower, and cooler allowing you to experience more flavor.
[Reply]
MrT 12:55 PM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
45% is on the extreme low end and you risk dried out brittle wrappers. Also at this low an Rh you will lose many of the volatile oils in the cigar. Most here store between 60-70%, although some Asian collectors are said to have long term(15+ yrs) storage as low as 50%.

A working fridge is not the ideal solution for cigar storage. Usually you cant get the temp's above 60degrees without an external controller.

A cheaper alternative is a cooler/ice chest, a search on coolerdor will give you some ideas on how others have set these up. Clean the inside with baking soda on a new sponge and let it air dry for a day or so.

Spanish cedar is available from wood specialty stores like Rockler or Woodcraft.
I was not planning on keeping the fridge running, but using it as storage for the cigars. Either that, or it's getting chucked.

I wonder if I could use the freezer section only for cigars (disable it), and still use the bottom as a fridge.. now there is an idea!!
[Reply]
MrT 12:56 PM 12-22-2010
What is a "Boutique Cigar" and why are they called that?
[Reply]
jonumberone 01:04 PM 12-22-2010
I was not planning on keeping the fridge running, but using it as storage for the cigars. Either that, or it's getting chucked.

I wonder if I could use the freezer section only for cigars (disable it), and still use the bottom as a fridge.. now there is an idea!!
If you're interested in doing this look here for ideas

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34675
[Reply]
Chris. 01:15 PM 12-22-2010
A boutique cigar is one that (correct me if I'm wrong)fewer than 100,000 sticks per year are made. Either 100,00 or 1,000,000(?). Tatuaje or Illusione are examples of boutique brands.
[Reply]
T.G 02:09 PM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by Chris.:
A boutique cigar is one that (correct me if I'm wrong)fewer than 100,000 sticks per year are made. Either 100,00 or 1,000,000(?). Tatuaje or Illusione are examples of boutique brands.
Like many things in the cigar world, "boutique cigar" and "boutique cigar maker" are somewhat ambiguous.

While I am not saying that the hard number is incorrect, I personally have never heard any official number attached to what defines a boutique cigar or boutique maker.

The most common traits often found among those manufacturers and makers considered boutique is being very unique and small, but even this sometimes comes into question.
[Reply]
guitar4001 03:20 PM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Like many things in the cigar world, "boutique cigar" and "boutique cigar maker" are somewhat ambiguous.

While I am not saying that the hard number is incorrect, I personally have never heard any official number attached to what defines a boutique cigar or boutique maker.

The most common traits often found among those manufacturers and makers considered boutique is being very unique and small, but even this sometimes comes into question.
Yes. Boutique is simply a cigar made in small numbers. It adds a bit of a "hard to get" quality to the cigar. Small batches of cigars made by small companies are usually labeled boutique, while small batches of cigars made by large companies are often called "limited."
[Reply]
Page 49 of 138
« First < 39474849 50515999 > Last »
Up