Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 17 of 138
« First < 7151617 18192767117 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
T.G 10:28 AM 11-12-2009
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh:
Ohok, I thought that the way it burned directly correlated to the humidity.

I would assume if the humidity is between 60 and 70 then its ok right? This isnt optimal, but in terms of catastrophic cigar problems ( wetness, splitting ect )

Once again, thanks guys.

EDIT: What is the best way to relight? Sometimes I'll have to relight a smaller RG cigar like you said, I was wondering do I purge it? snip the end?
60-70RH storage humidity is fine. Most of us seem to aim for the lower end of that range, for a few reasons: better draw, usually better burn, most cases more flavors and/or less acidic flavors from burning a wet cigar, less chance of mold.

For relights, just knock the ash off, blow gently through the cigar to purge the stale smoke and then light normally. If it hasn't been out for long, you can skip the purging at your tastes/discression. No need to clip the end unless you are talking about relighting a cigar you started a day ago, at which point you should have clipped the buring end before it went out.

----
EDIT: When I said "higher humidity" in my post previous to this, I meant the ambient humidity where you are smoking - sometimes it's hard to keep cigars lit when the weather is damp/high humidity.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:29 AM 11-12-2009
If you are relighting within an hour, then just relight and purge. If its been more than an hour and less than a day I would clip. After a day, throw it out and start over. :-)
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 11:11 AM 11-12-2009
Thanks guys! That will help when I'm going to work and cant finish one, I'll clip and relight.

And yeah my area where I live is pretty humid at times. and I too try to aim lower on that RH scale in my humidor but I cant get the vino any lower than 67-66%. Hoping maybe the hygrometer is off a bit, but not my desktop humidor I cant get it to stay at 65%. Its like 63%. Cant win haha.
[Reply]
T.G 11:33 AM 11-12-2009
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh:
Thanks guys! That will help when I'm going to work and cant finish one, I'll clip and relight.

And yeah my area where I live is pretty humid at times. and I too try to aim lower on that RH scale in my humidor but I cant get the vino any lower than 67-66%. Hoping maybe the hygrometer is off a bit, but not my desktop humidor I cant get it to stay at 65%. Its like 63%. Cant win haha.
63% is great. :-)

I keep my humidors at 60%-62% ish.
[Reply]
longknocker 11:40 AM 11-12-2009
Originally Posted by T.G:
63% is great. :-)

I keep my humidors at 60%-62% ish.
Is That For All Your Cigars, Or Just CCs?
[Reply]
T.G 12:29 PM 11-12-2009
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Is That For All Your Cigars, Or Just CCs?
All.

I've found that for my tastes and less troublesome burns, 60%-62%-ish works great.:-)
[Reply]
Chris. 08:20 PM 11-12-2009
I like my cigars at 65%
[Reply]
Chingo 10:58 PM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by T.G:
All.

I've found that for my tastes and less troublesome burns, 60%-62%-ish works great.:-)
Then how low is too low of RH? I thought 70% was the generally accepted ideal. I was about to post a question regarding why my humi won't stay at 70% (hovers around 65%) but maybe that won't be a problem afterall?
[Reply]
SilverFox 11:07 PM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by Chingo:
Then how low is too low of RH? I thought 70% was the generally accepted ideal. I was about to post a question regarding why my humi won't stay at 70% (hovers around 65%) but maybe that won't be a problem afterall?
I have experimented with my RH over the years and after a recent stint at 70% (I had brought all my sticks up to 70% for around 6 months) I find that I have far too many smoking problems at that RH, also I found the higher RH to contribute to increased tar buildup in my sticks making the final third or so a bit harsh (nothing empirical to support this however)

After my Aristocrat arrived on Sept 11 I moved my RH back to 65% and have been very very happy there, it will remain my RH standard.
[Reply]
Snake Hips 11:08 PM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by Chingo:
70% is generally cited as the ideal, but a lot of hobbyists who've tinkered have found lower humidity levels to be better. I also prefer 65% RH. Too low is up to the individual. There are some who keep their cigars at 55-60%, but that's the lowest I've ever heard. Lower than 55% would be problematic as a generalization.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:16 PM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by Snake Hips:
70% is generally cited as the ideal, but a lot of hobbyists who've tinkered have found lower humidity levels to be better. I also prefer 65% RH. Too low is up to the individual. There are some who keep their cigars at 55-60%, but that's the lowest I've ever heard. Lower than 55% would be problematic as a generalization.
Many say that 70% is preferred for non-Cuban cigars, and 65% for Cubans. I found my NCs also smoked better at the lower humidity. I keep mine at 62%.
[Reply]
Snake Hips 11:22 PM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Many say that 70% is preferred for non-Cuban cigars, and 65% for Cubans. I found my NCs also smoked better at the lower humidity. I keep mine at 62%.
I've found the same. Which is why it's taste more than science :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 11:26 PM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by Snake Hips:
I've found the same. Which is why it's taste more than science :-)
Agreed. :-)
[Reply]
Joseywales 04:01 PM 11-22-2009
I shoot for the higher end 70-73% for long term storage. I started with a desktop and now keep the desktop at 65ish, because they'll be my "smokers" for the short term.
[Reply]
pnoon 04:06 PM 11-22-2009
Originally Posted by Joseywales:
I shoot for the higher end 70-73% for long term storage. I started with a desktop and now keep the desktop at 65ish, because they'll be my "smokers" for the short term.
IMO you're at risk for mold. Storage in that range of RH puts you in the minority, for sure.
But do whatever works for you.
[Reply]
Jbailey 04:12 PM 11-22-2009
I will agree with some of the above posters, I keep both coolers around 65%. So far so good!
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:21 PM 11-22-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
IMO you're at risk for mold. Storage in that range of RH puts you in the minority, for sure.
But do whatever works for you.
Agreed. Most that I know store in the mid 50's to mid 60's for long term storage, including me. Anything around 70 and above just invites mold, imo.
[Reply]
Whynot 02:21 AM 11-29-2009
I keep my Acids in a separate humi, but what is the consensus on Naturals and their ilk?
[Reply]
Chris. 05:25 AM 11-29-2009
If I'm not mistaken, all drew estate cigars are infused in some way, so it is best to keep them separate. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:57 AM 11-29-2009
Originally Posted by Chris.:
If I'm not mistaken, all drew estate cigars are infused in some way, so it is best to keep them separate. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
+1
[Reply]
Page 17 of 138
« First < 7151617 18192767117 > Last »
Up