Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 9
« First < 345 67 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>What was your last Scotch purchase?
Noodles 01:30 PM 07-01-2009
Johnnie Walker Blue. Not really a purchase but a gift from my cousin. Last purchase is a bottle of Laprohaig.
[Reply]
Savvy 01:52 PM 07-04-2009
JW Black. You guys have been talking about it so much in here I figured I'd give a blended scotch a try. Will report later.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:01 PM 07-04-2009
So I'm sittin' here at work, on the 4th of July no less, with a whole shelf full of airplane bottles behind my back. Amongst them are some Dewar's 12. Do you think the boss would mind if I chugged one?
[Reply]
kayaker 06:00 PM 07-04-2009
I have my next target selected. G&M CC Caol Ila 1996. I'm told it's not as good as the 1995 (I've had a small sample and enjoyed) but still quite good.

I'll have to wait a couple of weeks before I can get it though.
[Reply]
Savvy 01:49 PM 07-05-2009
So...

JW Black is going to be my new go to...

I love it, and you guys here led me to it...so thanks for that.

Single Malts will be saved for more special nights. My wallet will like that more too...
[Reply]
blugill 06:04 PM 08-09-2009
Glenrothes 16 year old:-)
[Reply]
hotreds 06:23 PM 08-09-2009
Glenlivet for the Shack Herf- I don't drink Scotch.
[Reply]
captain53 06:25 PM 08-09-2009
Laphroaig - 10 to go with the bundle stogies.
[Reply]
kayaker 07:58 PM 08-09-2009
Wifey bought me the Caol Ila (see above).

Tastes wonderful.:-)
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 05:03 AM 08-10-2009
Isle of Jura Superstitution
[Reply]
blugill 05:13 PM 08-11-2009
I've become a big fan of Jura Superstition!
That is some great scotch!
[Reply]
AD720 05:43 PM 08-16-2009
I could use a little help from Kayaker on this one.

I popped into one of the regular state stores (not a premium collection store) to grab another bottle of what is hands down my favorite budget single malt - the Bowmore Islay Legend.

While there were out of that they did have a single malt on the shelf I'd never seen before (which is saying something - generally their entire selection premium of Scotch, single malt or otherwise, is limited to the Glen's, the Mc's and the Johnny's).

So since it was in the same price range as the Bowmore (which is usually right around $28) just for fun I grabbed it and pretty much forgot about it until tonight.

I decided to open it up and try it out. Unfortunately I was greeted with a broken cork so I had to decant it through a sieve - not sure how much that will affect the taste.

First I tried just a nip of it neat:

Neat tasted very fruity and citrus-y. Easliy the most citrus I've ever tasted in a Scotch.

Next with just a couple drops of still water, which really opened it up. I tasted more fruit and a little bit of peat.

Finally I tried it as I usually take my Scotch - on the rocks:

I found that while I usually enjoy the taste on the rocks more I don't think that it really complemented this one as it lost the interesting fruitiness and really brought out the medicinal taste.

As it sits and the ice melts a bit the medicinal taste is drying down and I'm getting mostly sweetness and peat. For the price I think I might go over and try to grab another bottle.

So here is the question. Everything I've seen online the bottle looks like this:

Mine looks much different and says "The" Edradour.

Any idea what's up with this one?
[Reply]
kayaker 10:26 PM 08-16-2009
Hey Andrew,

I haven't had Edradour yet, but I'll have to give it a try when I find it. We don't have it here in Newfoundland, but I'll keep an eye out for it when I go back to Alberta in January.

From what I've been able to find out the Distillery changed ownership in 2003. I think your bottle came from before the change and the other picture you showed is from after. I'm not sure if there was a change in the master distiller or not. If there was, there may be a difference in the taste between the old bottlings and the new ones.

I'll try to dig up more info for you.

Ian
[Reply]
blugill 07:23 PM 08-17-2009
Has anyone tried Jon, Mark, and Robbo's malt scotch whisky?
[Reply]
AD720 08:01 PM 08-17-2009
Originally Posted by kayaker:
Hey Andrew,

I haven't had Edradour yet, but I'll have to give it a try when I find it. We don't have it here in Newfoundland, but I'll keep an eye out for it when I go back to Alberta in January.

From what I've been able to find out the Distillery changed ownership in 2003. I think your bottle came from before the change and the other picture you showed is from after. I'm not sure if there was a change in the master distiller or not. If there was, there may be a difference in the taste between the old bottlings and the new ones.

I'll try to dig up more info for you.

Ian
Thanks Ian!

I'm going to swing by and grab another bottle if they still have them. It definitely didn't taste like a $25 bottle of Scotch, very complex - not a daily drinker for me but a nice change of pace.
[Reply]
eber 10:23 PM 08-23-2009
my latest purchase was a Mcallan 12 yr fine oak, I have little to compare it to (some glenlivet 12 and Tomatin 12) this easily blows them both out of the water IMO. I am looking forward to learning more and tasting more scotches.
[Reply]
Eleven 10:53 PM 08-23-2009
Glenmorangie 10 year old

Had it on the rocks today and it was great.

I had tried it and Aberlour with a little distilled water, should I make my ice cubes from distilled water too?
[Reply]
kayaker 04:59 AM 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by Eleven:
Glenmorangie 10 year old

Had it on the rocks today and it was great.

I had tried it and Aberlour with a little distilled water, should I make my ice cubes from distilled water too?
Spring water would be fine. Mineral water or chlorinated tap water could negatively affect the taste. For fun you could do a bling taste, using different types of water to see if you can tell the difference.:-)
[Reply]
ratpack 06:09 AM 08-24-2009
Glenlivit 18. Always tasty.
[Reply]
yourchoice 02:30 PM 09-20-2009
I was at the shore this weekend and while walking past the liquor store I saw that everything was 20% off for an end of the season sale (they're tearing down and rebuilding during the off-season). While normally expensive, with the discount I was able to pick up a 1.75 liter Johnnie Walker Black for about $60. Wasn't sure if it was a "great" deal when I did it, but checking out on-line prices I think I did just fine. :-)

I also picked up a couple of bottles of gin on sale. :-)

In the last couple of weeks I've also picked up these bottles:
Bowmore 12
Ardbeg 10
Old Pulteney 12
Glenlivet 12
[Reply]
Page 5 of 9
« First < 345 67 > Last »
Up