Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 9
< 123 45 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>What was your last Scotch purchase?
Fumes 03:44 PM 02-07-2009
Originally Posted by kayaker:
Have you compared it with anything else of the Bowmore line?
Just the 12 yo, which is a bit more complex and a little sweeter. Now that I think of it, I should explore the Bowmore line a bit more. I've always gone to the Legend because it's such a great value.
[Reply]
kayaker 09:46 AM 02-10-2009
I didn't purchase, but was just gifted a bottle of Bunnahabhain Darach Ur. Can't wait to open it.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:04 PM 02-10-2009
A pint of Cutty Sark on Dec 31st, 1978. I was 16. Never again. :-)
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 03:52 PM 02-10-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
As I see it, scotch (Cutty Sark ???), is a man's drink, so at age 16, you didn't qualify, and the Cutty Sark, OMG!!!

Now that your obviously older, and hopefully wiser, you should try a real scotch, both a blended and a Single Malt. You may be amazed!
[Reply]
icehog3 04:06 PM 02-10-2009
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
As I see it, scotch (Cutty Sark ???), is a man's drink, so at age 16, you didn't qualify, and the Cutty Sark, OMG!!!

Now that your obviously older, and hopefully wiser, you should try a real scotch, both a blended and a Single Malt. You may be amazed!
I would love to get a palate for it, but I have a hard time getting past the smell after my teenage experience. I can drink Irish Whiskey but haven't had the guts to try much else......any suggestions for a "beginner"?
[Reply]
Fumes 06:34 PM 02-10-2009
I had the same experience with Jim Beam. Haven't touched bourbon since.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 06:49 PM 02-10-2009
I would love to get a palate for it, but I have a hard time getting past the smell after my teenage experience. I can drink Irish Whiskey but haven't had the guts to try much else......any suggestions for a "beginner"?
Taste is so very subjective, that it's always hard to make recommendations like this, however, in the past, when asked for suggestions for starters into the world of scotch, I have always recommended the following, as they are great examples, at very reasonable prices:

Single Malts:
Aberlour 10yo – Speyside – Very pleasant Malt, Nougat & Fruit Cake Flavors

The Balvenie 12yo Double Wood – Speyside – Very Nice, Spicy, orangey, cinnamon, sherry & heather Flavors

Blended:
Black Bottle 10yo – Very Nice Smokey, Fruity, Malty & Oak Flavors

Johnnie Walker Black Label – Exceptional Dry Smokiness, Malt, Creamy Vanilla, Honey & Orange Blossom Flavors

Johnny
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 02:48 PM 02-11-2009
I won a bottle of Grand Old Parr, on eBay, about two weeks ago. I actually picked it up for a great price, $19.55, plus $12.50 S&H. This is a new to me scotch, and not only that, but it's not available within the USA. As I understand it, Grand Old Parr, is the number one selling scotch in Japan.

Well, I opened the bottle of Grand Old Parr last night and tasted a healthy dram. First of all, let me say, that this is a different character of scotch than JW Black. Old Parr is excellent, for what it is, but it would never replace JW Black as my go to scotch!

I’m no real expert when it comes to reviewing Scotch, Rums, Bourbons, and so on, but I’ll try to give my impressions of this libation. For me, this is a very bold, aggressive style, that has a very impressive flavor profile. I really enjoyed my first trial of this blended Scotch; however, this doesn’t impress me as a scotch that I would reach for very often; although, I will definitely enjoy it from time to time.

Nose: Heavy Malt, Raisin and Orange, Very Big.

Palate: Very aggressive, Oily, with strong nuances of Malt, Raisin, burnt Caramel and a light touch of Brown Sugar.

Finish: Very long, Oaky, with a touch of Peat/Smoke and, a touch of Sweetness.
[Reply]
Jbailey 04:23 AM 02-16-2009
Jura 16yr It's a bit smoother and less peaty compared to the 10 and 12 and offers a very tasty coffee finish.
[Reply]
omowasu 06:45 PM 02-16-2009
Grabbed another Lagavullin 16, this may be the last Lag for a while as the prices seem to be going up over the 80.00 mark... Also picked up another Laphroaig 10. I like the 'phroaig, but I think I may be the only one in my circle of friends. Others have compared it to "liquid smoke", battery acid, etc. I love the smoky, peaty, medicinal kick.
[Reply]
Jbailey 07:05 PM 02-16-2009
any suggestions for a "beginner"?
I'll bring you down something to the March mob herf Tom.
[Reply]
WarMace 07:49 PM 02-16-2009
My last was a few weeks ago:

Dalwhinnie 15

Smooth and delicious.
[Reply]
Nick 08:24 PM 02-16-2009
Glenlivet 15 year old a couple months ago, it's been gone for awhile and I haven't replaced it yet.
[Reply]
kayaker 11:25 PM 02-16-2009
This one is my B-day gift to myself.:-)

I asked my Scotch pusher, who knows what I like, to recommend something new to me in the $80-100 range.

Here's what I came away with:

Gordon and MacPhail Coal Ila, 1995 (bottled in 2006), 57.6%, from 2 casks and aged in refill sherry butts.

Haven't cracked it yet, but I can't wait to try it.
[Reply]
kayaker 09:12 PM 02-20-2009
Just got a bottle of Bruichladdich 18 (2nd ed.) from my sisters.
:-)
[Reply]
AD720 08:41 AM 02-21-2009
Went back last night and got another bottle of the Bowmore Islay Legand and a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year.
[Reply]
AD720 08:41 AM 02-21-2009
Originally Posted by Fumes:
Just the 12 yo, which is a bit more complex and a little sweeter. Now that I think of it, I should explore the Bowmore line a bit more. I've always gone to the Legend because it's such a great value.
[Reply]
pmp 08:34 AM 02-24-2009
Last 2 bottles were mccallan 10 year fine oak and aberlour 12 year double cask matured.

Both are go-to scotchs for me. I haven't found as much bang for your buck as those two bottles. I also really dig talisker and lagavulin when I want to splurge.
[Reply]
BengalMan 02:26 PM 02-27-2009
Picking up a bottle of Glenfiddich 18 this weekend. I had this, the 15, 12, and the 21 at an event last night, and IMO, the 18 stood out as the best of the group, hands down.
[Reply]
alley00p 02:46 PM 02-27-2009
Dalwhinnie 15 (gifted by my son)
Laphroaig 10 yo - slight splash of water to open up the taste, goes great with a cigar!!

[Reply]
Page 3 of 9
< 123 45 > Last »
Up