Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Ardbeg Supernova | Opinions?
mosesbotbol 12:23 PM 02-11-2010
Looking a a bottle of Ardbeg Supernova. What do you think? I think I can work them down to $150. I don't buy single malts that often, so the one or two bottle I have, I want to be a big change from my usual JW Black.

Supernova is suppose to be the highest peat out there.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 01:45 PM 02-11-2010
What do you think of the other expressions in the Ardbeg range?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:35 AM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
What do you think of the other expressions in the Ardbeg range?
No idea? Not sure I have ever had Ardbeg, but they got so much good press and Supernova is not ususally easy to find.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 01:13 AM 02-12-2010
Obviously I don't know your tastes or past whisky experiences, but if it were me I'd go to a local whisky pub and try some of the readily available Ardbeg (and other distillery) expressions before shelling out $150 on a bottle you may or may not like. That's epecially so if your standard whisky is a relatively light unobtrusive blend like JW Black because there's a BIG difference in flavour profiles between Black and something like Ardbeg.

Heavy peat and Islay's briney iodine flavour profile is typically a love it/hate it reaction and it would kinda suck if you ended spending that much money blind only to decide you didn't like it. The 10yr is the peatiest in the standard Ardbeg range and probably the closest to Supernova for comparison.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:43 AM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
Heavy peat and Islay's briney iodine flavour profile is typically a love it/hate it reaction and it would kinda suck if you ended spending that much money blind only to decide you didn't like it. The 10yr is the peatiest in the standard Ardbeg range and probably the closest to Supernova for comparison.
I love heavy peat and iodine single malts, so that was my preference for the Supernova. Friends that come over also like that style. I had Laugovolin (sp) and liked that and I hear Ardbeg is beyond that. My last single malt was a Talisker 18 and that was decent. I'd like a little more "stick to your ribs" than the Talisker.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 08:38 AM 02-12-2010
Well if you like peat Ardbeg is certainly a good choice :-) Most of the reviews I've read on Supernova have been very positive, although several did comment on the fact that while chemical analysis gives Supernova over 100 PPM, more than twice that of the 10yr, the actual difference in terms of taste resulting from it is no where near as big as those numbers would lead you to believe.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:11 PM 02-12-2010
Something so overwhelming would be a Scotch I could savor. No snowy night benders... 3 Monte A's and bottle of Supernova later.
[Reply]
Up