Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>DarkLord Review
BeerAdvocate 05:26 PM 12-14-2009
Yesterday was my Birthday so I decided to open up one of my bottles of Darklord that I have been holding onto. If anyone doesnt know the DarkLord story, here is a little info:
DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the ThreeFloydsBrewpub in Munster, Indiana.
People camp out and stand in long lines, just to get a few bottles of DarkLord.
It is an Imperial Russian stout brewed with coffee,vanilla, and molasses.
Each year, the bottles are sealed with a different color of wax:

Red wax = 2004
Orange wax = 2005
Gold wax = 2006
Silver wax = 2007
Black wax = 2008
White wax = 2009

ABV: 11.0%

On to the review. I have two bottles of DarkLord, one from 08 and one from 09. The bottle that I opened is from 2008.

Appereance: Pours a jet black, oily thick head with a thin layer of brown head that dissapears quickly.

Smells: Dark fruit and molasses with a hint of coffee and a faint smell of dark chocolate

Taste: Prune, molasses and raisin with a strong bourbon-y alcohol taste

Mouthfeel: Very thick and velvety smooth but with a warm bite at the end

Overall: This beer is strong and drinking the whole bottle kicks your ass.
I dont think this beer is worth driving hundreds of miles for and standing in line just to get a few bottles. Im sure the act of waiting with a few 1000 people just to get a bottle of beer is a great experience, but the taste doesnt live up to the hype. There are so many other good beers that you can simply always walk into a store and get.
I can finally say I tried the infamous Dark Lord, but as far as drinking my other bottle, I think I will get more enjoyment out of it if I trade for some other beers on my wishlist.
For Russian Imperial Stouts, I much rather have Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.
Attached: DarkLordreview 008-400.jpg (11.0 KB) 
[Reply]
BlackDog 07:26 PM 12-14-2009
Nice review. I'm still trying to "figure out" RIS's. I've only had a few, all top names, but so far I'm not seeing what everyone else seems to enjoy in them. Regular stouts I'm enjoying. RIS's, not so much.
[Reply]
Gonesledn 08:02 PM 12-14-2009
looks like a small group of my cigar friends and i may be heading to DarkLord Day. one of the group may bring his big ass smoker so we can eat well and drink well.
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 03:51 PM 12-17-2009
This makes me sad. I am sorry that you feel that way about Dark Lord. I have to say that Dark Lord is my favorite beer and yes I waited in line for it this year. I have only opened one of my bottles. I have three left. I am thinking that New Years is going to be the next bottle opened. Can't wait for next year.
[Reply]
Gonesledn 12:15 PM 12-18-2009
Originally Posted by IBQTEE1:
This makes me sad. I am sorry that you feel that way about Dark Lord. I have to say that Dark Lord is my favorite beer and yes I waited in line for it this year. I have only opened one of my bottles. I have three left. I am thinking that New Years is going to be the next bottle opened. Can't wait for next year.

sure, rub it in that have some......meany!
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 01:19 PM 12-18-2009
Originally Posted by IBQTEE1:
Originally Posted by Gonesledn:
sure, rub it in that have some......meany!
Sorry!! :-) I am willing to share. Does that make up for it??
[Reply]
Naughtysmoker 08:18 PM 12-18-2009
This sounds interesting. I live in the windy city. Is there a date for 2010 ye?
[Reply]
Up