Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Mourning lost sticks
lenguamor 11:21 AM 01-13-2012
A cautionary tale illustrating the need to rotate and inspect boxes...

I have 3 standard-size wineadors, all different brands. All have worked great for years.

On Tuesday I was gathering an assortment of sticks to send out; I wanted some of my old stock so I was essentially emptying one of the fridges when four boxes seemed stuck together. What happened next just about broke my heart.

That fridge had developed a drip inside and the drip had fallen on those four boxes, causing a huge mold infestation. I've never had that happen and I've never seen a case of mold this bad. One of the boxes, a full box of '98 LGC Sabrosos had just the slightest damage and only 4 of the sticks were beyond salvation. But I spent the last couple days trying to clean off sticks carefully and making sure the wrappers were not penetrated, and transferring to new cedar.boxes (three of the boxes were beyond repair).

But in the end, I lost about 10 of 18 '01 Black Princes in one box, all 17 '98 LFdC PCs in another, and (thankfully) only a couple of '01 Super Partagas. The Black Princes really hurt; they are one of my favorites and I was lovingly rationing them carefully to make them last.

And I just rearranged the fridges around November, so all this happened since then.

I've had tiny bits of mold before on occasion, but never actually lost a cigar, let alone an entire box.

The lesson, gentlemen: fondle your boxes. Often.
[Reply]
irratebass 11:24 AM 01-13-2012
Sorry to hear this Joe, I don't haver boxes yet, just singles but I fondle them often.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 11:24 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by lenguamor:
:-) Aye aye, Cap'n.

:-) for your loss. :-)
[Reply]
kydsid 11:25 AM 01-13-2012
That right there is worth quoting, for many reasons. :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:35 AM 01-13-2012
Man that sucks!
[Reply]
Stephen 11:36 AM 01-13-2012
Can't wait until the fiancé gets home tonight so I can put this good advice to use.:-)
[Reply]
pektel 11:40 AM 01-13-2012
That's heartbreaking. All the care, and more importantly, the willpower to not smoke them all too soon, wasted.

I have very little willlpower regarding when an aged stick is "on". I went through the last half of a cab of 05 PLPC's in record time over the summer. Wish I would've hung on to more than the 3 I have left.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 11:43 AM 01-13-2012
Sorry to hear. That's a drag :-)
[Reply]
nick2021 11:45 AM 01-13-2012
sorry to hear :-)
[Reply]
kickerb 11:49 AM 01-13-2012
damn, that sucks man. sorry :-)
[Reply]
lenguamor 11:56 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by kydsid:
That right there is worth quoting, for many reasons. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:56 AM 01-13-2012
Sad to hear brother. I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to my sticks (so my wife says). I am forever moving stuff around and "peeking in". :-)
[Reply]
lenguamor 12:01 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Sad to hear brother. I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to my sticks (so my wife says). I am forever moving stuff around and "peeking in". :-)
Yes...cigar tetris rules! :-)

I'm similarly obsessed, but this freak occurrence with the leak really bummed me out because there's little I could have done; I would have thought that once every couple months was alright.
[Reply]
BSB 12:07 PM 01-13-2012
Bummer! Sorry for your loss.
[Reply]
shilala 12:48 PM 01-13-2012
That's the worst one I've heard yet, so you've got that one going for you, Joe.
I wish you wouldn't have told that story, you made me half sick.
Sorry, man. I'm glad you caught it when you did!!! :-)
[Reply]
iRiSh 12:57 PM 01-13-2012
Bad news Dude!
[Reply]
jluck 01:03 PM 01-13-2012
Man that's horrible! I promise to fondle everything I have as much as I can! And I mean till it hurts!:-)
[Reply]
Remo 01:14 PM 01-13-2012
That sucks, sorry to hear and a good warning!
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 01:20 PM 01-13-2012
Damn that really sucks. I guess it's nice that I have less than 100 cigars. I fondle them often :-)
[Reply]
lenguamor 01:22 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
That's the worst one I've heard yet, so you've got that one going for you, Joe.
I wish you wouldn't have told that story, you made me half sick.
Sorry, man. I'm glad you caught it when you did!!! :-)
Yeah, it could have been worse, Scott. It was tough throwing out those BPs, though, and all of the LFdC PCs.

But it could have been my Clears in another fridge, and that might have broken me. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up