Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 23 of 42
« First < 13212223 242533 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Wine Thread
BC-Axeman 08:45 PM 05-12-2011
I'm drinking a 2000 Byington Bates Ranch Cab. This is our local winery. An excellent vintage back then, it is unreal now. Smooth, velvety, rich, complex. I tried to pick some flavors out but the complexity makes it too hard for me. Nothing bad at all, to me. It was about a $25 wine back in '02. Probably all gone now. I have one bottle left.
Cheers!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:01 PM 05-30-2011
Not much action in this thread, so here's my Memorial Day wine for the a smoked lamb shoulder.

2000 Chateau Colombier-Monpelou
1992 Diamond Creek "Red Rock Terrace"
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:13 AM 06-15-2011
I don’t get to drink a lot of CA wines; this was a treat. Merlot has a bad name, but when done right, it’s no wonder why it’s a primary varietal of most Bordeaux. I wash CA would push blended wines further.

Last night we drank a wonderful expression of Merlot; 1993 Stags Leap Napa Merlot. It was really dark in the glass like it could be 2003 vintage. Ripe, perfumed with tobacco and port-like flavors. Hints of eucalyptus, spice, and dark fruit still showing well. This bottle can go another 10+ years without question. The finish was medium length with lightly chalky tannins. 93 points.

[Reply]
BC-Axeman 10:23 AM 06-15-2011
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I don’t get to drink a lot of CA wines; this was a treat. Merlot has a bad name, but when done right, it’s no wonder why it’s a primary varietal of most Bordeaux. I wish CA would push blended wines further
Me too! Although I have about twenty bottles of blends that are some of my favorites.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:15 PM 07-09-2011
Not much action in this thread, so here's my Memorial Day wine for the a smoked lamb shoulder.

2000 Chateau Colombier-Monpelou
1992 Diamond Creek "Red Rock Terrace"
Some serious wine there. I would love to sample some older Diamond Creek. Out of Cali, they are a top producer for me.

My recent bottles I've picked up over the last month or so:

2007 Patrick Lesec Les Galets Blonds
2005 Chateau Beausejour Becot
NV Jose Dhondt Blanc De Blanc
1999 Delamotte Brut Blanc De Blancs

I've been picking up some decent bottles of 2007 Cali cabs too. 2007 seems to be a good year, one that I actually enjoy for a change from Cali. Mondavi Reserve, Merus, Rubicon, Kathryn Hall all were very good. I'm very interested to know how the 2007 Diamond Creek red rock cab is.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:06 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Some serious wine there. I would love to sample some older Diamond Creek. Out of Cali, they are a top producer for me.

1999 Delamotte Brut Blanc De Blancs
I have had about a dozen older Diamond Creeks from the 70's on, and all have been fantastic. Some take a while to open up, but they are all one could wish for in CA Cabs. DC is one brand I buy older wines blind with good confidence.

I bet your Delamotte is going to be fun!
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 06:59 AM 07-11-2011
I have had about a dozen older Diamond Creeks from the 70's on, and all have been fantastic. Some take a while to open up, but they are all one could wish for in CA Cabs. DC is one brand I buy older wines blind with good confidence.

I bet your Delamotte is going to be fun!
Delamotte makes it possible to taste a little bit of Salon. Not exactly Salon no, but Champagne Delamotte holds its own to just about any house, in my limited opinoin. The more I drink real grower champagne, the more I respect it and love it now. I really can't wait to pop the 1999!!

Moses, you should really check out the Jose Dhondt. Such a great NV!
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 07:03 AM 07-11-2011
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=263281
[Reply]
WyGuy 06:40 PM 07-23-2011
Has anyone tried the Cosentino Cigarzin? I've gone through a few bottles of these, and definitely recommend giving it a try.
[Reply]
mmblz 10:52 AM 07-25-2011
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 01:47 AM 07-28-2011
Drank most of this bottle this morning after work.... great stuff!

[Reply]
eber 03:47 PM 08-12-2011
some notable bottles that I have had of late:

1997 Groth Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon
---this was a great bottle, good juicy dark red fruit, mellowed tannins but still there. This wine could still go for a few more (~3) years.
1993 Ferrari-Carano Tresor
--- opened 2 bottles for a family dinner, this wine is still showing well if you like that aged bordeaux flavor, the fruit is fading, on the pallet it is quite earthy and hints of mushroom came through, huge complex nose. This vintage is on its last legs IMHO, it should be drunk sooner than later.
[Reply]
mmblz 08:03 PM 08-12-2011
Goldeneye Gowan Creek Pinot Noir

yum
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:38 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by mmblz:
Goldeneye Gowan Creek Pinot Noir

yum
Did some reading one this one, sounds like a great bottle.
[Reply]
RGD. 10:15 PM 08-12-2011
Few months ago I had a bottle of this at a friends house and, taste being subjective, thought it was an excellent drink. So got around to picking up a few bottles. If you can, might want to give it a go. From what I understand stock is pretty low now.

2006 Tomaiolo Morellino di Scansano (95 points)

Ron
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:17 AM 08-13-2011
Originally Posted by RGD.:
Few months ago I had a bottle of this at a friends house and, taste being subjective, thought it was an excellent drink. So got around to picking up a few bottles. If you can, might want to give it a go. From what I understand stock is pretty low now.

2006 Tomaiolo Morellino di Scansano (95 points)

Ron
How much were those selling for?

WS's last review was for 2004 and it was $14 a bottle. Tuscan wines (as are most Italian wines) really underpriced right now, so for sure it is wise to stock up.

Yesterday, I picked up a case and 3 extra bottles of 2007 Dezanni "La luna e le stelle" Barbera d'Asti at Costco. My local Costco has independent wine buyers who pick up a pallet of this-and-that, that sells out stupid quickly at rock bottom prices. I went to Costco to buy coffee beans and walked out with a case of wine! Packaged in wood too for $10 a bottle!

I had one bottle last night at a friend's house and everyone loved it. I have one more to try at my house and one bottle to put in the cellar (to keep me from opening the case) to evaluate its development.

[Reply]
RGD. 10:47 AM 08-13-2011
How much were those selling for?

WS's last review was for 2004 and it was $14 a bottle. Tuscan wines (as are most Italian wines) really underpriced right now, so for sure it is wise to stock up.
$12 a bottle - free shipping on six or more.

Ron
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:57 AM 08-13-2011
Originally Posted by RGD.:
$12 a bottle - free shipping on six or more.

Ron
Good score! :-)
[Reply]
BUC WHITE 12:13 PM 08-18-2011
Height-Brown Picnic Red. Its a Connecticut vineyard and runs about $17 a bottle. It has a touch of sweetness, but not too sweet. thats my go to right now
[IMG]Image[/IMG]
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:10 PM 08-26-2011
:-)Mmmmm, wine. That's all.:-)
[Reply]
Page 23 of 42
« First < 13212223 242533 > Last »
Up