Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Old Henry Robusto
Ratters 08:01 PM 10-31-2008
Cigar: Old Henry Robusto
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $117 a box of 25 from Holts

Setting: Sun room. Halloween. 5:05pm. About 65 degrees out having a Barq's. Carving a pumpkin.

Pre-light: Wrapper is medium brown and somewhat lumpy. Veins are medium to small. Cap cut easily. Smell from wrapper was very little, from the foot it had a bit of hay to it.

First third: Cigar lit up easily. Draw is pretty good though the initial flavors are very mild and the smoke thin, not what I was expecting at all. After about a quarter inch a bunch of spice hit the palate but it's still pretty light on the flavor, which is tobacco with hints of leather. After about half an inch the smoke production started to pick up but sadly the flavor hasn't. The as is somewhat loose but seems to be holding past the inch mark. About an inch and half in the leather flavor started coming to the fore but the pepper and spice are starting to irritate the back of the throat.

Second third: The leather and spice flavors remain. Body is picking up a bit into the upper range of medium. As does the irritation on the back of the throat. Other than that, not much going on. Cigar is burning well and hasn't required any touchups. Finish is actually somewhat pleasant on the tongue, just not on the throat.

Final third: Well, more of the same. Flavors aren't bad, just not much happening. The irritation is lessening but the pepper is still there on the tongue.

Final thoughts: Well, this is a pretty typical peppin blend. Reminds me a lot of the Pepin Legend series from CI. Lots of pepper but not a lot of flavor. It wasn't a horrible smoke, actually kinda enjoyed it minus the irritation, but don't think I'll go out of my way to have one again.

Smoke again: Maybe if gifted like this one.
Buy again: No
Reccommend: To people who like Pepin spice.
[Reply]
papajohn67 09:31 PM 10-31-2008
You guys rock with your reviews, really enjoyed reading it!! On the other hand the Old Henry's are not my cup of tea.
[Reply]
Scottw 09:51 PM 10-31-2008
Nice review and that punkin' sure looks content!
[Reply]
bobarian 10:01 PM 10-31-2008
Originally Posted by Scottw:
Nice review and that punkin' sure looks content!
I think they both would have been happier smoking a Camacho!:-)
[Reply]
Scottw 10:03 PM 10-31-2008
Originally Posted by bobarian:
:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Ratters 10:51 PM 10-31-2008
Originally Posted by bobarian:
You are correct. And thanks again for the smoke Bob. :-)
[Reply]
dcamacho 10:52 PM 10-31-2008
i was smoking these for awhile. i really enjoyed them in the afternoon on a saturday morning with some tea or coffee. good cigar , thanks for the review!
[Reply]
trogdor 01:15 PM 11-03-2008
The one of these that I tried had so much firey spice that even a tiny nose exhale was painful. The spiciness was even too much for the mouth flavor. I hoped that it would just be an initial burst (as happens sometimes on cigars) but after 10 min or so with no improvement I tossed it.
[Reply]
tenbaseg 02:30 PM 11-03-2008
As a pepin whore, this is on my list of things to try. I just haven't come across one yet. Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
smokeyscotch 02:39 PM 11-03-2008
Great review. I have been wondering about these. I have have had them on my list to try. I think I will bump something else up toward the top and wait on this one. This is why I like reviews. You saved me a little $ that I can put toward something else...... to smoke ofcourse.:-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 04:37 PM 11-03-2008
Another great review Steve!!!

Very honest and up front!!!

Do these have some cameroon in them? That always irritates my throat!!!

[Reply]
UPHOTO 04:50 PM 11-03-2008
Just don't want to spend that kind of money on these.

Would rather by a box of black or blue labels over these.
[Reply]
Up