Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>ever had a day when cigars didn't taste right?
kgoings 07:02 PM 11-03-2008
Smoking some cigars tonight...and they dont taste right. One is a first time smoke, and the other is one I smoke all the time. The first time smoke tasted like @ss and my regular cigar tasted muted, and bland...

I havent been sick, and I didnt eat anything before smoking...had a water with the smokes.
[Reply]
Pipe&Cigar 07:09 PM 11-03-2008
What were they? What about Storage? New purchases, different B&M? (On your regular smoke)
[Reply]
cort 07:10 PM 11-03-2008
This happens to me every once in a while. I dont know why but I will go a few days even a week not liking any cigars including my favorites. I cant explain why this happens but it does. You are not alone.
[Reply]
MTB996 07:12 PM 11-03-2008
I have had a nagging head cold for like 2 weeks and that has killed the good flavor of cigars, but I am still firing them up. Just not the good ones.

Without a cold, sometimes it just happens. Hope tomorrow straightens out your taste for you.
[Reply]
kgoings 07:17 PM 11-03-2008
The new one was an Opus and the regular was a Taboo Twist from a box I have. My vino has been rock solid 68 degrees and 65RH. I was going to finish the night with one of the cc's I have but decided that I dont want to waste it.
[Reply]
AdamC 07:20 PM 11-03-2008
Originally Posted by gwc4sc:
This happens to me every once in a while. I dont know why but I will go a few days even a week not liking any cigars including my favorites. I cant explain why this happens but it does. You are not alone.
maybe its like a mans period...taste changes. Then you don't like what you smoke so you get angry. All the symptoms.:-) haha
Seriously though I've had those days too.
[Reply]
Pipe&Cigar 07:23 PM 11-03-2008
I would save the CC for later... now is a good time to get rid of your dog rockets
[Reply]
Skywalker 08:15 PM 11-03-2008
For me that's when I know it is time to Herf with some BOTL/SOTL!!!

Everything tastes better when I'm Herfing!!!
[Reply]
dcamacho 08:21 PM 11-03-2008
ive had one cigar not taste right, but never "cigars" ..... thats weird. did u try pairing them with drinks? did u have a bad week/day? just curious.
[Reply]
kgoings 08:22 PM 11-03-2008
No not necessarily a bad or stressful day, in fact I was really looking forward to smoking a cigar.
[Reply]
Scottw 08:22 PM 11-03-2008
Hasn't happened yet thankfully.
[Reply]
hoyohio 08:37 PM 11-03-2008
This happens to me more frequently than I'd like. I smoke daily and often go through varying degrees of what some call "sick palate." Diet and any number of factors can have an impact. With me, I believe it's just the frequency with which I smoke. Sometimes cigars taste flat - like cigarettes or even hot air. Sometimes all cigars begin to taste the same. It feels chemical to me -- almost like an allergy. Sometimes it resolves the following day. And sometimes I need to take a break for a couple days or even a week or two. In rare instances, I get what I call "toxic palate" -- when cigars taste like licking an ash tray or even burning rubber. That's when I take a long break.

Conversely, once in a blue moon, I get what I call "euphoric palate", when all cigars taste unusually good, but the same. That's when I smoke the cheap stuff!
[Reply]
kgoings 08:47 PM 11-03-2008
Originally Posted by hoyohio:
This happens to me more frequently than I'd like. I smoke daily and often go through varying degrees of what some call "sick palate." Diet and any number of factors can have an impact. With me, I believe it's just the frequency with which I smoke. Sometimes cigars taste flat - like cigarettes or even hot air. Sometimes all cigars begin to taste the same. It feels chemical to me -- almost like an allergy. Sometimes it resolves the following day. And sometimes I need to take a break for a couple days or even a week or two. In rare instances, I get what I call "toxic palate" -- when cigars taste like licking an ash tray or even burning rubber. That's when I take a long break.

Conversely, once in a blue moon, I get what I call "euphoric palate", when all cigars taste unusually good, but the same. That's when I smoke the cheap stuff!
That sounds about like it! I had a cigar on Wed of last week...but that was the last...I usually dont go that long between cigars.
[Reply]
rack04 08:50 PM 11-03-2008
Originally Posted by kgoings:
Smoking some cigars tonight...and they dont taste right. One is a first time smoke, and the other is one I smoke all the time. The first time smoke tasted like @ss and my regular cigar tasted muted, and bland...

I havent been sick, and I didnt eat anything before smoking...had a water with the smokes.
Happens to me all the time. I think it has to do with my mood, how I'm feeling, and what I've had to eat. Sure is dissapointing though.
[Reply]
zmancbr 09:48 PM 11-03-2008
Yup! Sometimes they just aren't the same... I find that the food I eat, gum I chew, what I drink, and even my mood all change the taste of cigars for me.

Some days I think I am in the mood to smoke and then once I light it up, I realize I'm not. Although that is rare thankfully lol...
[Reply]
bobarian 10:04 PM 11-03-2008
Have you changed toothpaste recently? Sounds crazy, but this can have an affect on you palate. About six months ago I switched to a "Total Care" toothpaste. After about a week, I lost all taste for cigars. A strong JdN or LFD tasted the same as a mild smoke. Maduro's same as Connies. Read another post where they said TP may be the issue. Switched back to the old reliable and within 3 days the taste buds were back as was the enjoyment of a good smoke. :-)
[Reply]
Jbailey 10:14 PM 11-03-2008
Smoked an Anejo #55 tonight and couldn't get one flavor out of it. It tasted like nothing at all, just like smoking air.
[Reply]
groogs 10:58 PM 11-03-2008
I can't say why, but I have gone through stages where cigars just didn't tast right. I usually go to my pipes for a few weeks, and then I am ready to jump back into cigars.
[Reply]
Biglizard1 04:02 PM 11-05-2008
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Have you changed toothpaste recently? Sounds crazy, but this can have an affect on you palate. About six months ago I switched to a "Total Care" toothpaste. After about a week, I lost all taste for cigars. A strong JdN or LFD tasted the same as a mild smoke. Maduro's same as Connies. Read another post where they said TP may be the issue. Switched back to the old reliable and within 3 days the taste buds were back as was the enjoyment of a good smoke. :-)
Maybe it is just me but, if you are getting a diferent flavor with diferent TP, you are using the wrong orifice:-)
[Reply]
Dgar 04:24 PM 11-05-2008
Originally Posted by Biglizard1:
Maybe it is just me but, if you are getting a diferent flavor with diferent TP, you are using the wrong orifice:-)

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up