Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>need some advice
ChicagoWhiteSox 05:32 PM 10-29-2008
My brother and i are going goose hunting this saturday. Hes not a cigar smoker but has had a couple in the past. I want to bring along some cigars for the goose pit and need some advice on what to bring for him. I want to give him something that will really catch his interest in cigars. Any ideas, im heading to the b&m thursday.
[Reply]
cbsmokin 05:37 PM 10-29-2008
You have to stick to the mild stuff. You might also want to consider smaller RG and shorter length. Just coach him not to smoke it too fast.

Macanudo is a great smoke for a total newb. They won't appreciate the flavors of cigars yet so something complex would be a waste. I give the crystal tubos to new smokers and they think they are really fancy.
[Reply]
md4958 05:37 PM 10-29-2008
I usually lay something flavored on a newbie. I like the Tabak Especial in particular. either that, or something like a Macanudo that wont make him puke.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 05:38 PM 10-29-2008
Macanudo.... People who don't smoke cigars love to smoke these, get the tubos...
[Reply]
Rockestone 05:42 PM 10-29-2008
Definately Macanudo...Maybe the Hampton Court.
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:00 PM 10-29-2008
Fonseca, 5 Vegas Gold, Rocky Patel Connecticut
[Reply]
D_A 06:03 PM 10-29-2008
Padron, Oliva, or Fuente are usually safe bets.
[Reply]
Legend 07:07 PM 10-29-2008
I've reeled in half a dozen guys with the Gurkha grand reserve. The cognac ones. Expensive but very nice.
[Reply]
Gophernut 07:10 PM 10-29-2008
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
Macanudo.... People who don't smoke cigars love to smoke these, get the tubos...
And there is a bit more name recognition there too.
[Reply]
Homebrewer 08:02 PM 10-29-2008
I'd try a Tatuaje P series.
[Reply]
Cenookie 09:37 PM 10-29-2008
Try the Macanado Maduro, Foncesa, or Baccarat, these will keep him interested but won't make him green:-).
[Reply]
groogs 09:39 PM 10-29-2008
Originally Posted by Legend:
I've reeled in half a dozen guys with the Gurkha grand reserve. The cognac ones. Expensive but very nice.

:-) I had one of those when I was starting out and I remember thinking it was a tasty smoke.
[Reply]
dcamacho 09:40 PM 10-29-2008
Originally Posted by Homebrewer:
I'd try a Tatuaje P series.
i agree. i always give 1st time smokers the Tatuaje white labels. they usually love it too
[Reply]
Scottw 09:43 PM 10-29-2008
I had my brother up at my house a few months back and he is a sometime cigar smoker. I gave him an RP Connecticut and he was loving it. It's an affordable smoke and mild with a tasty lingering aftertaste that is not too complex. I'd try it. The Cusano 18 Double Connecticut I find offers the same mildness with a creaminess and depth of flavor not found in many of the milder smokes.
[Reply]
Scottw 09:44 PM 10-29-2008
Originally Posted by md4958:
I usually lay something flavored on a newbie. I like the Tabak Especial in particular. either that, or something like a Macanudo that wont make him puke.
If you give him the Tabak , just make sure he likes coffee. This is the coffee infused one from Drew Estates right?
[Reply]
smokin5 09:53 PM 10-29-2008
Definitely something on the milder side. I'm thinking:
5 Vegas Gold
El Rey del Mundo
Rocky Patel Conneticut
AVO
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 06:23 PM 10-31-2008
well i picked my brother up a few macanudo gold labels, and as for me, i think ill take along a partagas black and a serie v belicoso. thanks for the advice on the macanudo, and by the way i was kinda embaressed buying a macanudo at my b&m:-)
[Reply]
md4958 08:04 AM 11-01-2008
Originally Posted by Scottw:
If you give him the Tabak , just make sure he likes coffee. This is the coffee infused one from Drew Estates right?
yup, but it doesnt taste like coffee... its more aromatic than anything else.

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
well i picked my brother up a few macanudo gold labels, and as for me, i think ill take along a partagas black and a serie v belicoso. thanks for the advice on the macanudo, and by the way i was kinda embaressed buying a macanudo at my b&m:-)
thats why Im always like "you think a newbie would like Macs right???" when the cashier is ringing me up. The closest b&m near me has a staff that is pretty much clueless anyway.
I asked if they had any Oliva... i got a deer in the headlights look
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 08:13 AM 11-01-2008
Cusano 18 is what I always recommend. It's actually a decent smoke, and guys that don't smoke a lot seem to love them.

Fuente 8-5-8 is a little stronger, but not too strong either. Those are usually a hit as well.
[Reply]
Up