Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>opus question
jerseystepup 08:17 AM 10-17-2009
What do you guys do with your opus? age them? smoke them in regular rotation? save them for special occasions? i have about 20 in my humi from this year and last, and am getting tired of looking at them.. it may be time to start smokin through em!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:20 AM 10-17-2009
Originally Posted by jerseystepup:
What do you guys do with your opus? age them? smoke them in regular rotation? save them for special occasions? i have about 20 in my humi from this year and last, and am getting tired of looking at them.. it may be time to start smokin through em!
I am trying to age my one Opus after smoking the last one I had on a special occasion. Seeing as you have 20, I'd put half away, and start smoking some. Maybe save some of the "rarer" sizes for special occasions.
[Reply]
Bax 08:25 AM 10-17-2009
Age them for at least 1 year then find an excuse to smoke them! the older the better IMHO!
[Reply]
SmokinApe 08:32 AM 10-17-2009
I ended up selling most of mine... They are decent cigars but a bit overrated. I won't buy them anymore unless it's a deal (msrp), they are not worth the inflated prices IMO...

Go ahead a smoke a few and see how you like them...
[Reply]
T.G 08:43 AM 10-17-2009
I treat them like I would any other cigar. When I feel like smoking one, I smoke one. I don't need an occasion to light a particular cigar. Until that point, they sit and age, just like all the rest of the cigars I own.
[Reply]
acarr 08:54 AM 10-17-2009
Just smoke them, nothing is safe in my box.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:19 AM 10-17-2009
I try to have a about 10 to 15 Opus' in the humi. They have a very unique taste, so when I get the itch for one, I have some around.
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 09:28 AM 10-17-2009
I'm putting what I have on hold. I didn't like them young at all. Hopefully with a little patience it will be rewarding :-)
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 11:36 AM 10-17-2009
While I do like them fresh , they only get better with age . I would say a flavor the Super Belicoso develops is a kind of intense raisiny sweetness with a hint of molasses . I'm not saying all of them do it . My favorites are the Super Beli , Petit Lancero and the Reserva D' Chateau .
[Reply]
Veritas 12:11 PM 10-17-2009
Some get smoked; some sit in the humidor until the mood strikes. I've found that the longer I hold on to them the more difficult it is for me to part with them, especially if they were gifts.

My B&M has a full selection of them at fairly resonable prices, so it's easy for me to get young ones.
[Reply]
Beagleone 01:47 PM 10-17-2009
3 to 5 years minimum. LOL

Seriously, i found that the Opus I gotten in recent years have been too harsh for me. I have a draw filled of Opus that I have been sitting on for 4 years now. I may decide to sell them if I don't smoke them soon.
[Reply]
The Poet 01:50 PM 10-17-2009
Originally Posted by jerseystepup:
If they are bugging you that badly, I think I can find room for them somewhere. Since you are close, you could even come by and visit them from time to time - by appointment only, of course.
[Reply]
roughrider 02:00 PM 10-17-2009
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
I ended up selling most of mine... They are decent cigars but a bit overrated. I won't buy them anymore unless it's a deal (msrp), they are not worth the inflated prices IMO...

Go ahead a smoke a few and see how you like them...

I agree.
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 02:02 PM 10-17-2009
If I was you, I would trade them for some "good" cigars! :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 03:42 PM 10-17-2009
I've been aging mine, although I'm not sure if I'll ever smoke them. I might end up selling them somewhere down the line.
[Reply]
Chemyst 06:20 PM 10-19-2009
My local puts limits on OpusX and Anejo, but I can usually get 5 or 6
of each, every year. I smoke one on my b-day, one on New Year's
Eve, one during vacation, and the rest age in my humi. I've been
smoking for 4 years now and probably have 20 OpusX and a dozen
Anejos saved up and resting.

There is no problem letting them sit, when I have 400-500 other smokes
to choose from 2 or 3 times per week. I like the Pepin Serie JJ maduro,
RP Edge Missiles, Oliva V, RyJ Reserve maduros and others for any day smokes.

Smoke some, rest some, gift some, share some.

Chemyst :-)
[Reply]
RJK18 06:28 PM 10-19-2009
I have smoked a few, and found that I don't like them. I am hoping some time in the humi makes a difference. But to answer your question, I smoke them at anytime.
[Reply]
bookman 06:28 PM 10-19-2009
I'd save 10 and smoke 10, you never know when the cold hand of Death will find you...
[Reply]
JJG 07:42 PM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by bookman:
I'd save 10 and smoke 10
agreed

You don't have to age Opus' They're meant to be delicious right out of the box, and I believe the tobacco used is all previously aged to begin with. Depending on your tastes,you may enjoy them even more fresh.
[Reply]
yachties23 07:47 PM 10-19-2009
They are much better after a year or two, no question.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up