Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Anyone have recommendations for shipping alcohol?
forgop 08:07 AM 11-25-2010
It seems that UPS/USPS have taken a recent position of prohibiting alcohol for shipment. Anyone have any tips/suggestions for pulling it off? I recall someone mentioning elsewhere that if they suspect you're shipping something containing liquids that may be alcohol, they'll open it.

I've got them packed and I'm almost thinking I need to pack them inside yet another box for additional insulation/cushion.
[Reply]
Superbad 08:10 AM 11-25-2010
Fed Ex? I am just not sure it is worth it.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:15 AM 11-25-2010
You mean UPS says your shipment was damaged and releases it the next day with a missing a bottle? That UPS????

You should only ship fruit syrup, you know that...

Originally Posted by Superbad:
Fed Ex? I am just not sure it is worth it.
FedEX ground is competitive with UPS.

All the wine collectors I know recycle wine shippers. Very high demand and useful item. I recently bought a padded cover with wheels for a 12 pack wine shipper so I can check it on flights!
[Reply]
T.G 08:22 AM 11-25-2010
Lots of bubble pack, double ziploc baggies or vacuum sealed bags, USPS priority and answer "no" when they ask you "anything liquid, perishable or fragile?"

Pack it tight, you just don't want it to move around in there.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 08:27 AM 11-25-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Lots of bubble pack, double ziploc baggies or vacuum sealed bags, USPS priority and answer "no" when they ask you "anything liquid, perishable or fragile?"

Pack it tight, you just don't want it to move around in there.
I've been successful with this method. The medium box is a perfect fit for a few 22oz beers.
[Reply]
forgop 10:07 AM 11-25-2010
Originally Posted by Salvelinus:
I've been successful with this method. The medium box is a perfect fit for a few 22oz beers.
But this is for multiple liquor bottles, not a couple of beers. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:36 AM 11-25-2010
Originally Posted by forgop:
But this is for multiple liquor bottles, not a couple of beers. :-)
The difference in size between the two is minimal.
A 750 ml liquor bottle is a fraction over 25 oz.
[Reply]
GolfNut 10:46 AM 11-25-2010
I have been successful with Fed Ex ground shipping booze. Best shipping advise I can give you however is to send it to an address in Lewiston, Idaho. Let me know if you need it. :-)
[Reply]
Cigarcop 11:09 AM 11-25-2010
Drink them first then transport!......all joking aside just pack them really good with lots of packing and send Priority Mail and don't tell them there's liquid inside.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:25 AM 11-25-2010
Both UPS and FedEx ship alcohol. You can get shipping boxes made specifically for wine bottles, check with a few local shipping supply stores. Shipping via USPS is not advised, you might get away with it but if they find liquids it will be destroyed. USPS does not allow shipping of any liquids.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 07:03 AM 11-26-2010
I strictly use UPS and have never had a problem.
I do several beer trades so I am always shipping beer a few times a month!
[Reply]
MiamiE 07:08 AM 11-26-2010
Duane you are too honest! :-)
[Reply]
forgop 07:15 AM 11-26-2010
Originally Posted by MiamiE:
Duane you are too honest! :-)
It's just the idea that I read that if they suspect it's alcohol, it'll be confiscated, which is what I'm worried about. I used to ship wine quite a bit, but over the last year or two, it seems that USPS has really vamped up what they won't allow for shipment.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:59 AM 11-26-2010
I get wine shipped to me UPS regularly. I've never heard that they don't ship alcohol.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:12 AM 11-26-2010
It's just the idea that I read that if they suspect it's alcohol, it'll be confiscated, which is what I'm worried about. I used to ship wine quite a bit, but over the last year or two, it seems that USPS has really vamped up what they won't allow for shipment.
Its illegal to ship most liquids via USPS.

http://www.usps.com/aviationsecurity/
[Reply]
forgop 10:32 AM 11-26-2010
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
I get wine shipped to me UPS regularly. I've never heard that they don't ship alcohol.
Assuming you're getting it from a retailer in a "legal" state, there's nothing to worry about. The problem is the number of states that are illegal to ship to period (kinda screws that whole interstate commerce clause, doesn't it?) and from shipping from a private individual.
[Reply]
The Poet 10:39 AM 11-26-2010
Here at work, we ship wine all the time via FedEx Ground. But, as others have noted, there are potential problems. Not only do laws vary from state to state, with many prohibiting shipping into their state altogether, there are laws allowing wine but prohibiting beers or distilled liquors. We once had a state (I believe it was Delaware) return to us a case of brandy a customer had ordered because it was distilled. We argued with our FedEx rep that it was "fortified wine", and managed to get the shipment approved.

Bottom line, if you are not sure, you have two options. One, don't send it. Two, lie like hell.
[Reply]
forgop 12:24 PM 11-26-2010
I wonder what I shall declare the contents to be for it. It's not rocket science that anyone who pays the least bit of attention to the package would be able to notice that it's a liquid.
[Reply]
Bill86 12:28 PM 11-26-2010
Voss water :-)

Lava lamps?
[Reply]
hotreds 12:38 PM 11-26-2010
I wonder what I shall declare the contents to be for it. It's not rocket science that anyone who pays the least bit of attention to the package would be able to notice that it's a liquid.
Then don't ship USPS! However, I'm sure that millions of bottles of perfume will be shipped by USPS this Christmas, technically also illegal.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up