Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 53
« First < 345 6715 > Last »
General Discussion>The Official Asylum Reef Tank Thread
shilala 06:41 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
If I can find them, will post some cool shots of the installations I have done for customers.
I have done some pretty cool plumbing for the entire system, all with PVC and Spaflex.
Lets see if I can capture Mr. Eel.
Next time I feed him and he goes nuts all over the tank.
That'll be awesome. :-)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 08:03 PM 01-10-2009
Most Definitely.
[Reply]
j-easy 06:43 AM 01-11-2009
we'll im going to be making some DIY "agrocrete rocks" today for my future 120 gallon reef
[Reply]
G G 07:58 AM 01-11-2009
I had never heard of reef tanks til now, awesome pics.
[Reply]
Starchild 06:16 PM 01-11-2009
This is the inspiration I need right now. Blueface, your setup is gorgeous :-), and Shilala's is exactly what I want to do.

I've got a 29 gal setup that is down right now. I got behind with maintenance with the baby in the house and it crashed. I've been debating setting it back up as a fresh water just to make things easy, bu this thread has me wanting to get it back up and running as a salt.

I'll need to work on the filter setup and you guys seem to know your stuff.

Right now it's setup with crushed coral and an undergravel system with a powerhead. I've also got an over-the-side filter. I was running a dual bulb fixture with full spectrum bulbs.

I'd like to go with something like Shilala has. I have a combination of some cave rock, live rock (that's not so live anymore) and bleached coral. I'd like to have 3 or so nice fish and a low maintenance system.

Any suggestions?

Andre
[Reply]
Blueface 06:26 PM 01-11-2009
Originally Posted by Starchild:
This is the inspiration I need right now. Blueface, your setup is gorgeous :-), and Shilala's is exactly what I want to do.

I've got a 29 gal setup that is down right now. I got behind with maintenance with the baby in the house and it crashed. I've been debating setting it back up as a fresh water just to make things easy, bu this thread has me wanting to get it back up and running as a salt.

I'll need to work on the filter setup and you guys seem to know your stuff.

Right now it's setup with crushed coral and an undergravel system with a powerhead. I've also got an over-the-side filter. I was running a dual bulb fixture with full spectrum bulbs.

I'd like to go with something like Shilala has. I have a combination of some cave rock, live rock (that's not so live anymore) and bleached coral. I'd like to have 3 or so nice fish and a low maintenance system.

Any suggestions?

Andre
For a reef, suggestion number 1.
Get rid of the undergravel filter.
That stuff will come back to haunt you.

Suggestion 2.
Use the crush coral as you base.
Add live sand to that.
Only do this is you can stand not to stir things around.
The crushed coral below will become a denitrator for you.
If you can't keep from stirring, go live sand all the way.
[Reply]
av8tor152d 06:40 PM 01-11-2009
Beautiful tanks gentlemen. I once upon a time had a 95 gallon saltwater tank. That is also when I lived in Hawaii and could walk down to the beach for my water changes, and oh yeah caught my own fish too. I will have to look I know somewhere I have some pics.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 06:51 PM 01-11-2009
Sick Jason!

I knew a guy with I think a 300 gallon surge tank down in Key West. He was on a canal and a pump would fill up a 300 gallon barrel then when it was full a valve would open and the barrel would completely replace the tank water. And the tank water wouled drain back into the canal.

Think free easy water changes awesome!
[Reply]
Blueface 07:03 PM 01-11-2009
Originally Posted by av8tor152d:
Beautiful tanks gentlemen. I once upon a time had a 95 gallon saltwater tank. That is also when I lived in Hawaii and could walk down to the beach for my water changes, and oh yeah caught my own fish too. I will have to look I know somewhere I have some pics.
Originally Posted by Wolfgang:
Sick Jason!

I knew a guy with I think a 300 gallon surge tank down in Key West. He was on a canal and a pump would fill up a 300 gallon barrel then when it was full a valve would open and the barrel would completely replace the tank water. And the tank water wouled drain back into the canal.

Think free easy water changes awesome!
Guys,
While it certainly is convenient, not something I would do with my tank and the value of the fish I have.
In the business, I did it for a while. Lots of folks in Florida that specialize in delivering ocean water also.
Eventually, I set up 200 gallon per day RO units, a trailer with a 100 gallon tank and mixed my own salt.
I no longer have the trailer but have two 45 gallon containers in my garage with the same RO unit. I pump the water out of my tank and pump back in from the containers where I just throw the salt in.

The reason to refrain from sea water is it contains pathogens and parasites. Unless you treat that water in a recirculating system with heavy duty UV's, before introducing it to your tank, you are seriously risking introducing lots of junk that is free floating in the ocean, into a very confined system that can crash it. After a few fatal episodes that arose as result of sea water, never did it again.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 07:11 PM 01-11-2009
The fellow in Key West has a monster commercial UV sterilizer before and after the holding tank. This is something I personally would NEVER do. However When i get around to rebuilding my 24 gallon tank i will be swiping 25 lbs of sand from siesta key one of the top 10 beaches in the world. It is pure white sugar sand. Ill just have to be all Ninja like.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:14 PM 01-11-2009
The fellow in Key West has a monster commercial UV sterilizer before and after the holding tank. This is something I personally would NEVER do. However When i get around to rebuilding my 24 gallon tank i will be swiping 25 lbs of sand from siesta key one of the top 10 beaches in the world. It is pure white sugar sand. Ill just have to be all Ninja like.
Sounds like he did it right with the massive UVs.
The trick is to recirculate it often, and slowly for maximum kill.
Most folks that sell sea water collected and treated just don't treat it long enough to have maximum kill.
The place my son ran had different holding tanks to ensure the water was treated long enough. Once it met the required time, the tank was allowed to run into the system to sell.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 07:14 PM 01-11-2009
Also quick question about Mr. Eel. How big was he when you got him? And since then has his pattern changed? I have read that as Zebra morays age and mature their White stripes get thinner. Can you confirm or deny this?
[Reply]
Blueface 07:19 PM 01-11-2009
Also quick question about Mr. Eel. How big was he when you got him? And since then has his pattern changed? I have read that as Zebra morays age and mature their White stripes get thinner. Can you confirm or deny this?
Never heard of that.
Mine has the stripes the same as when I got him, or at least it seems to me.
I do recall seeing some with thinner stripes but has had nothing to do with size. just a natural variation.
There is even differences in the black. Some are more brown.
Mine is not as large as one would think given it has been with me for as long as it has.
I don't feed him as often and that is key in growth.
Frankly, wouldn't know its length but you have now made me curious.
They are quite docile and entertaining.
Blind as heck.
Can't see crap unless it practically smacks them.
However, as far as ability to smell, amazing.
I can place a drop of water in the tanks from a container that holds shrimp and that darn thing is out in a heartbeat.

BTW, I want to say I have had it for about 8-9 years now.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 07:22 PM 01-11-2009
Same with mine You put 5ml of shrimp water in a 90 gallon tank and she goes nuts swimming all out in the open. Mine had pretty good eyesight though im not brave enough to hand feed her (yet). She is small so therefore her food is small and I wont want my finger to be mistaken.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:26 PM 01-11-2009
Same with mine You put 5ml of shrimp water in a 90 gallon tank and she goes nuts swimming all out in the open. Mine had pretty good eyesight though im not brave enough to hand feed her (yet). She is small so therefore her food is small and I wont want my finger to be mistaken.
Hand feeding is half the fun of owning them.
Hold the shrimp by a hair.:-)
Regardless, eventually, you will get caught.

In anticipation, go to the garage and get a vice grip.
Practice catching your finger in it.
Squeeze.
Lock it.
Shake your hand all over the place without it falling off.
Now you will be prepared for when you get caught by the eel.:-)

One time, I shook that bastage all over.
Pulled him literally out of the tank caught on my finger.
Wouldn't let go.
Eventually decided the water was better than my finger.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 07:33 PM 01-11-2009
Way to convince me to start trying. Video later hahaha
[Reply]
j-easy 06:14 PM 01-12-2009
planning on setting up a 120 gallon, 48x24x24

lighting suggestions?
[Reply]
Wolfgang 06:44 PM 01-12-2009
What are youinterested in? Coral or Just fish?

If Just fish I reccomend a "Tek Light 4X54"

If coral and fish a "Tek Light 8X 54"

This fixture has the best reflectorsI have ever encountered. As far as T-5 ho fixtures go the fixture is only as good as the reflector. Also They are Very Reliable, dot consue a whole lot of energy, and give of very little heat.
[Reply]
shilala 07:13 PM 01-12-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
For a reef, suggestion number 1.
Get rid of the undergravel filter.
That stuff will come back to haunt you.

Suggestion 2.
Use the crush coral as you base.
Add live sand to that.
Only do this is you can stand not to stir things around.
The crushed coral below will become a denitrator for you.
If you can't keep from stirring, go live sand all the way.
Andre, I agree with Carlos 100% (for what that's worth, hehe).
I used an undergravel filter in my reef tank for a lot of years and could never keep my water stable. I have no idea why, but it'd just go wild and stuff would die for no apparent reason. I could never keep anything alive.
Getting rid of that undergravel filter marked a turning point and everything has just gotten better since.
I know it doesn't make sense based on what I know from keeping freshwater since I was a kid, but salt is different, obviously. :-)

I use crushed coral, and LOTS of it. I also use tons of shells of all different sizes. It's a nice look, I like it. :-)
All told I bet there's at least 2 pounds per gallon between crushed coral and shells. A good 3-4" in the bottom of my tank.
Those couple things Carlos mentioned have made huge difference for me along the way. Consider yourself fortunate that he brought it up, it'll save you a lot of trouble that I went through if you choose to take his suggestions. :-)
[Reply]
darb85 07:20 PM 01-12-2009
can anyone guide me to a 20+ gallon nano reef, set-up that wont break the bank? something in the 150-200 buck range for the tank? and then possibly a list of stuff to get to make it run right. Looking to set up a reef using Fuji live rock. Is this decent live rock? colorful?

set up reccomendations? website so I dont have to bug you?:-)

Brad
[Reply]
Page 5 of 53
« First < 345 6715 > Last »
Up