Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Recipes>Tri-Tip Sous Vide
markem 02:25 PM 02-17-2016
the sous vide thread is getting overloaded, so I though that I would start some threads in the recipes sub-forum. I bought a tri-tip today to use for dinner tomorrow, so here we are.

I plan to apply a dry run of salt, pepper (Penzy's Spicy Bold), garlic granuals, and adobo rub (Penzy's). I will seal this up and put it in the sous vide bath tomorrow to do a 5 hour cook before a cast iron sear.

What temp should I use in order to get medium on the meat? I know that medium rare is preferred, but we all make compromises for the people in our lives. At least it isn't past well done.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 03:29 PM 02-17-2016
I'd shoot for about 140-145 for medium.
[Reply]
T.G 08:59 PM 02-17-2016
Mark, I cook tri-tip sous vide for 4.5-6 hours at 131 then sear on my Santa Maria grill over oak for about 3-4 minutes per side for each of the four or five sides (depends how it trims out) and end up at the high end of medium rare, a little juice leakage, but not much. If I had to guess for my arrangement, I'd say shoot for a few degrees under textbook medium temps, so maybe 138.

I also stopped putting salt on the meat when it goes in the bag. I only add salt before the sear. I've never done two bags at the same time, one with and one without, to compare, but what I remember, I think the ones without salt seem to have less juice in the bag when finished. This might play a factor in how much leakage you get when you cut the final product, or it might not.

Maybe the cast iron will be a bit different than the santa maria pit. Not sure, I've never used cast iron on tri tip.

---

This cut was just shy of 3 lbs, cooked 5 hrs at 131F, no salt. Then seared on the santa maria pit. What you see on the cutting board is all the juice it gave up. I'd call it the high end of medium rare.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...&postcount=236

Hope that helps some.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:07 PM 02-17-2016
I wish I could get tri tip here.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:32 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by T.G:
Mark, I cook tri-tip sous vide for 4.5-6 hours at 131 then sear on my Santa Maria grill over oak for about 3-4 minutes per side for each of the four or five sides (depends how it trims out) and end up at the high end of medium rare, a little juice leakage, but not much. If I had to guess for my arrangement, I'd say shoot for a few degrees under textbook medium temps, so maybe 138.

I also stopped putting salt on the meat when it goes in the bag. I only add salt before the sear. I've never done two bags at the same time, one with and one without, to compare, but what I remember, I think the ones without salt seem to have less juice in the bag when finished. This might play a factor in how much leakage you get when you cut the final product, or it might not.

Maybe the cast iron will be a bit different than the santa maria pit. Not sure, I've never used cast iron on tri tip.

Hope that helps some.
I have to echo this -- on the three long cooks I have done the two with salt resulted in drier meat.

Like Adam, I only put the salt on before the sear.

For the shorter cooks, like steak, I do use salt -- but less than I would use for the grill - in the bag.
[Reply]
markem 12:00 PM 02-21-2016
Did a tri-tip on Thursday. By popular demand I am doing another today. I used onion salt on my last one and it was very good, quite juicy. We'll see how this one goes.

Doing 5 hours at 132.5
[Reply]
Up