Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Recipes>Crockpot Barbacoa
Chainsaw13 03:52 PM 01-04-2014
I made this for dinner today, let me tell you it turned out awesome. It's a recipe from author/blogger Hank Shaw. I didn't have any venison as he calls for in his recipe, so I used a 3lb pork shoulder roast.

Serves 4 to 6.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 3 hours, more or less

2 to 3 pounds venison, from the shoulder or legs
2 to 4 canned chipotles in adobo
1 red onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon kosher salt
˝ cup lime juice
˝ cup cider vinegar
1 quart beef or venison stock
1/4 cup lard or vegetable oil (if using venison or another very lean meat, not necessary for pork or beef)
Smoked salt (optional)
Cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocados and hot sauce for garnish

Put everything in a slow cooker or Dutch oven and cook, covered, until the meat falls off the bone, which will be between 2 hours (for many domestic meats and young deer) and 6 hours if you have a very old animal. If you use a slow cooker, set it to “high.” If you use a regular pot, put it into the oven set to 300°F.
Pull all the meat from the bones and shred with forks or your fingers. Stir in the lard and as much smoked salt as you want. You want the lard or oil to coat the shreds of meat. Pour over some of the juices from the pot and put the meat in a pan for the table. Serve with tacos, in a burrito or on a bun.
[Reply]
big_jaygee 05:47 PM 01-04-2014
Sounds tasty :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Veatorious 06:59 PM 01-04-2014
Good post Bob. I will try this recipe with some of my venison.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:03 PM 01-04-2014
Definitely give it a try Ryan. Mine took about 6 hours on high, but then the roast was still frozen. Shredded the meat, put it back in the crock, and left on warm until dinner a few hours later.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:27 PM 01-04-2014
That sounds really tasty, thanks for sharing. I've got about three pounds of Boston Butt sitting in the freezer that might get used for this.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 05:56 PM 01-05-2014
I have 2 deer in the freezer and was running out of recipes. I cant wait to try this one. Thanks
[Reply]
JamesDO 02:01 AM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I made this for dinner today, let me tell you it turned out awesome. It's a recipe from author/blogger Hank Shaw. I didn't have any venison as he calls for in his recipe, so I used a 3lb pork shoulder roast.
Sounds great, personally I think I would like it better with the pork than with the venison.
[Reply]
Up