Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>AF Opus X Power Ranger
Bageland2000 06:43 PM 08-05-2013
I now know why we age cigars: A review of my wedding Cigar, the AF Opus X Power Ranger.
This is actually my “I got married cigar” as I’m smoking it a month after I married my wife, Lauren. I was gifted this cigar three years ago by Ranger_B and I’ve kept in in my humidor for almost three years.
Cigar paired with: A Manhattan, M&Ms, (Chocolate is the BEST for a palate cleanse) and popcorn.
Pre-light draw: Easy with a bit of resistance, I was worried a little too easy at first, but upon lighting realized it is perfect.
Pre-light Aroma: This from a very novice smoker. Peppery sweet with a bit of spiciness. Very powerful and distinct. I realize that’s a bit subjective, but it’s the best I can do right now.
I effortlessly lit with my butane Zippo insert. Very complex flavors with a bit of peppery power, but not in the lingering way most powerful cigars I’ve had have presented their power. Very pleasant and for me, this experience is new. Cream, cherry, pepper, nutty, earthy, this is incredible. The oily salt from the popcorn and the flavors of the bitters in the Manhattan are just having a blast together. Normally I don’t personify my palette, but it seems appropriate here. I’m attributing all of the flavors (of the cigar) working so well to the aging process. I’m absolutely loving this. At the end of the first third, the flavors are intensifying, and the power is waning. The sun beyond the shade of my house is increasing, and some blue skies are starting to wink at me beyond the clouds. Good, the rain decided to ruin someone else’s experience.
About two fifths of the way through a little bitterness/harshness begins to come through. I off-gas (blow through the cigar for about 30 seconds, then let it rest for the same amount of time). I’m starting to feel a little nicotine kick. Another puff and the flavors are back and the harshness has dissipated- justice is served. Cream and pepper are now at the forefront. Has my palette been numbed or have the flavors retreated? Who knows? Then all of the sudden, the normally determined cigar goes out, I relight and get floral and harsh notes. Well, this is awkward. I find a lot of success with more frequent, much lighter draws. I think I was pulling way too hard on the cigar. Lessons learned I guess.

The flavors are abandoning me a little past the halfway mark and the stick keeps trying to go out on me. You’re a fickle lover Opus X, but I’m still fighting for our love.
Last Third: I decide that I’m in for the long-hall until this thing goes out again. Sadly this happens immediately and I’m forced to call it quits early. I thought this was a rare nub experience, sadly this isn’t the case.
Final Thoughts: Regardless of the last third fiasco, this has been an incredibly enjoyable cigar. This smoking session only reinforced my opinion that cigars aren’t really made to be nubbed. When your lips are wrapped around tobacco and the ember is an inch away, I think this generally lends to a bad time. Someone once told me regardless of the cigar’s price tag and reputation, when it stops becoming enjoyable it’s time to put it down. I’ve whole-heartedly subscribed to this paradigm and it’s paid off in my experience. Besides, it kind of looks like rain…
[Reply]
Gabe215 07:57 PM 08-05-2013
One of, if not my least favorite Opus
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:16 PM 08-05-2013
Nice review, thanks!
[Reply]
Outlaw God 05:26 PM 08-07-2013
Thanks for the review
[Reply]
MUNKY 10:47 PM 08-07-2013
Great review
[Reply]
Outlaw God 10:52 PM 08-07-2013
What RH was it stored at
[Reply]
Seamus 11:12 PM 08-07-2013
I'm a firm believer in the if its no longer enjoyable then pitch it. I've quit early on more Opus than any other cigar, mostly because most others I don't go back to if I pitch early on. Almost all the premature ejected Opus have been due to construction issues. Had a real bad batch of DCs that almost put me off Opus entirely.

Thanks for the review
[Reply]
Zane 06:45 AM 08-08-2013
Great review, love the pictures. I hear Opus are best if you dry box them a day or so before you smoke em. Fixes some of those burn issues etc.
[Reply]
Zipponubke 10:38 AM 08-08-2013
Thanks for the review .
[Reply]
BlackDog 02:29 PM 08-09-2013
Nice review Andrew. That's a cigar I've always wanted to try. BTW, congrats on your wedding. :-)
[Reply]
Bageland2000 12:00 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by Outlaw God:
What RH was it stored at
68, but there has been some fluctuation between 65 and 71, though most of it was only off by +/- 1%.

Originally Posted by BlackDog:
Nice review Andrew. That's a cigar I've always wanted to try. BTW, congrats on your wedding. :-)
Thanks!:-)
[Reply]
czerbe 12:48 PM 08-12-2013
Nice job only ever smoked one Opus X in my day and really enjoyed it on my 10th Wedding Anny.
[Reply]
warpedcigars 07:14 PM 08-12-2013
Love the size & shape, and that's about it. Oh how I miss the original Opus profile.

Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
badbriar 06:58 PM 08-14-2013
Good review...keep 'em coming!
RR
[Reply]
gogotron 07:50 AM 08-15-2013
Excellent review! This is probably my single favorite smoke of all time and the best size in the Opus line in my opinion, the Belicoso xXx "Power Ranger". Perfect after dinner smoke under an hour and extremely consistent quality. I've never had a box last longer than 1-2 years though so I'm not sure how age-worthy these are but then again I consider most cigars ready to smoke immediately. Another factor may be availability and waiting 3-4 months for the local shop to get their small allotment. Great smokes though and good luck to the OP!
[Reply]
jan olanda 09:21 AM 09-29-2013
Thanks for sharing
[Reply]
GodOfFire 10:25 AM 09-30-2013
I love Opus aged not so much when they are fresh. I have a handful that are about 5 years old and I think they are great at about 5 years.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 05:51 PM 11-09-2013
Great review man! Congrats on the wedding!
[Reply]
thecatch83 06:21 PM 01-17-2014
You have to let these and the other opus line of smokes age and mellow out for a good 1-2 years at least or they just won't burn right. I have smoked dozens over the last few years and they just get better and better.
[Reply]
equetefue 06:43 PM 01-17-2014
Thanks for sharing a great review. I agree with others as far as aging them and dry boxing them prior to lighting.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up