Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 22
1 2311 > Last »
Health and Fitness>My RNY and my New Life
NeuRon 06:38 AM 10-03-2011
Well guys.. I figured id open a small thread to give me some sort of journal on my new path in life. One i hope to share with some old friends and new!

Towards the latter of last year, into the earlier part of this early 2011,i was consulting with my doctor and several Bariatric surgeons to discuss the possibility of weight loss surgery.

I have tried all kinds of diets in my life. You name it, and i have failed it. I have always been a big guy, but in 2001, i had a knee injury which hindered my ability to keep playing sports. And i found that to be the start of my decline. I got bigger and bigger, each year, and i guess i just turned a blind eye.

Now while i have never let my weight keep me from doing/trying things; I noticed, it was slowly starting to stop me physically. Mentally, i was all there, but my body wasn't playing the part it once did :-)

So Fast forward to June 28, when my Newly appointed Nutritionist laid out my new, pre-surgery diet. Wheeeew this seems fun! lol.. syke! My Starting weight on that fine day. 365lbs...BMI = 53.4? Not Good.. But there i was, ready to start my new life.. it needed to be not only tried, but completed..

So i started on one meal replace a day.. and after 1 month, i lost 19lbs.. Not bad! Then i started two meal replacements a day. and i lost an additional 14lbs. This seemed hard, as you try telling a guy who has been eating fast food and whatever that he can only eat a small 4 inch potein bar, twice a day.. Well then, the doctor asked me if i wanted to try 3 a day.. i said Yes, i could do it.. Well if you think two a day is twice as hard as one a day, then by my polish math, then 3 a day is 47342 times harder than 2 a day!. But i stuck it out, and tried not to cut any corners ( a sensible meal occurred maybe twice, once at best friends wedding), but i tried to stick to my guns, and not cheat myself out of my new life's path.

Fast forward to September 14th. RNY Surgery Morning.. Weigh in -324lbs, for a total of 41lbs in 75days.. Not bad for a guy who couldn't lose weight. hehe

The moment i woke up from my surgery, i felt like i was hit by a train. I was sore, i was weak as a leaf, i was scared. why did i do this?. 36 hours after my surgery, i was 330lbs.. thats right, i gained over 6lbs of weight from my IV, and i was just a mess..

I havent smoked any cigars since September 10th, and while im pretty sad about that, i just want to make sure i let myself heal first until i get back to my hobby.

And as of today, im 302lbs, a total of 22lbs from my surgery date 19 days ago.. 63lbs total! My cloths dont fit at all, and even though im still sore as heck, im starting to think this might actually work.. Anybody who has been down this path knows that the first few months can be very frustrating, and my journey thus far has been no exception. But i just hope that in the end, it will be all worth it..

MY personal goal is 230lbs. My doctors goal (which is a stretch goal for me ) is 205lbs. As soon as i am able to work out, and hit the treadmill and elliptical, i am SO there.. i want to get jacked up like i was in college. And more importantly, i want to be healthy and live to spend time with my wife; time to succeed in my lifes work; time to enjoy with the great friends i have in life.. The time is now..

And to the people that i was fortunate enough to meet here, whether it was at Shack or any other herfs, etc, i cant wait to see you guys again in my new body , hehe..

I hope to be able to post my updates here, however random they may be.. The thing with this type of surgery is; there isn't a "steady" stream of weight loss as there would be normally.. I might lose 4lbs in a week, and then lose nothing for 2 weeks, etc.. If i am retaining water, for example, the flow of weight loss goes awry. So my updates might be random, but i hope to have some good news in the future :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 06:42 AM 10-03-2011
Best of luck to you, Ron.
It won't be easy but it sounds like you are committed to making it work.
[Reply]
DBall 06:44 AM 10-03-2011
f*cking awesome, my friend!!! Can't wait to see the transformation... :-)
[Reply]
deadrise 06:46 AM 10-03-2011
good luck brother good luck you can do it
[Reply]
68TriShield 06:51 AM 10-03-2011
:-)
[Reply]
WittyUserName 06:53 AM 10-03-2011
Good Luck Brother!!
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:56 AM 10-03-2011
Good luck brother, it sounds like you are trying to make some positive changes in your life!
More power to you and I am sure you will succeed!
[Reply]
NeuRon 06:56 AM 10-03-2011
me and the wife in June.. i think i was like 362 in this pic. No good :-)

[Reply]
Dave128 07:48 AM 10-03-2011
Good luck!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 08:16 AM 10-03-2011
good luck Ron, I know what you are going thru. I was almost 400lbs before I had my duodenal switch. I'm back at 240lbs now, less then 2 years later and feel so much better. Don't loose the weight too quickly as that might cause other health issues like I am experiecing right now (low heart rate).

It is a life changing procedure, but a life changer for the best.
[Reply]
jonumberone 08:17 AM 10-03-2011
Good for you Ron!
Continued success! :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:44 AM 10-03-2011
Sounds like you are focused and committed, Ron....we are all rooting for your success!
[Reply]
irratebass 09:00 AM 10-03-2011
Keep it up Ron! You can do it!!!
[Reply]
maninblack 09:04 AM 10-03-2011
Great job brother and keep up the good work!! We're all pulling for you.
[Reply]
shilala 09:59 AM 10-03-2011
You're not gonna be Big RonS anymore, you'll have to just be RonS. :-)
Go nice and slow and be patient like Ferdie suggested. I want to see you smiling and healthy when you come out the other side, brother. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:09 AM 10-03-2011
Great job Ron...keep at it brother!! :-)
[Reply]
ArgusP2 10:44 AM 10-03-2011
That's fantastic! X3 on the "go slow" advise. My doctors told me "you didn't gain all that weight overnight, don't expect to get rid of it overnight!" With that, I was able to go from 390 to 285 in a little under 2 years! Keep it going! You are definitley on the right track!!
[Reply]
NeuRon 10:50 AM 10-03-2011
thanks guys, i really appreciate all the support..!
[Reply]
bobarian 11:05 AM 10-03-2011
Keep up the hard work, Ron! Hoping for the best. :-)
[Reply]
357 11:48 AM 10-03-2011
Good work so far. Keep it up Ron. It was nice meeting you at Shack. I can't wait until next year. In the meantime, keep us posted.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 22
1 2311 > Last »
Up