Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 34 > Last »
Entertainment>Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord
BloodSpite 01:19 PM 11-12-2010
I'd love to do this but its just not possible for me.

The only high speed internet access I have is satellite. Which regulates how many MB of download I can have typically about 400 meg. 1 show will blow that out of the water. Whats more the X-box Marketplace isn't compatiable with Hughes.net (or so Microsoft told me. How quaint. )

The only other option out here is dial up. Oh boy.

Gonna be a long time before I can get out from under the thumb of the conglomerates it looks like.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 01:21 PM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
If I didn't need my NFL Sunday ticket, I think I'd cut the cord
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
Who's with me?
Sorry bud, you're on your own.:-)
[Reply]
Volt 01:25 PM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
All of these channels are either on hulu or you can go to the stations website to stream any show. And that way you can also watch any show you may have missed as most keep the whole season.

I have tried that.... Specifically Burn Notice. I have found watiching a tv show in the little window applet they provide isn't all that pleasing to me. The only real advantage I saw to it was being able to pause it. I have not tried Hulu, maybe I will give it a look. Generally though I am computing and watching tv at teh same time. I anly have room for one monitor on the desk, so a split screen isn't an option.

An aside is the wife is NOT computer not internet savvy and has no desire to be so. If there is once sight I could select a channel or specific show, maybeeeeee.
[Reply]
4WheelVFR 01:53 PM 11-12-2010
I'd love to, but Animal Planet HD, Discovery HD, History and nat geo hd, fox soccer hd, and fox news......just can't cut it.
[Reply]
wayner123 02:52 PM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Volt:
I have tried that.... Specifically Burn Notice. I have found watiching a tv show in the little window applet they provide isn't all that pleasing to me. The only real advantage I saw to it was being able to pause it. I have not tried Hulu, maybe I will give it a look. Generally though I am computing and watching tv at teh same time. I anly have room for one monitor on the desk, so a split screen isn't an option.

An aside is the wife is NOT computer not internet savvy and has no desire to be so. If there is once sight I could select a channel or specific show, maybeeeeee.
There is a little button on the bottom right for full screen and many of them have an HD button as well.

Furthermore, hulu does have a lot of the shows in one place. If my 4 year old daughter can do it (she actually started doing it when she was 3), I am sure it's not that big of a learning curve.
[Reply]
Tuxguy 02:57 PM 11-12-2010
For the sports games and channels

www.Rajangan.net

You all are very welcome
[Reply]
mmblz 07:38 PM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by BloodSpite:
I'd love to do this but its just not possible for me.

The only high speed internet access I have is satellite. Which regulates how many MB of download I can have typically about 400 meg. 1 show will blow that out of the water. Whats more the X-box Marketplace isn't compatiable with Hughes.net (or so Microsoft told me. How quaint. )

The only other option out here is dial up. Oh boy.

Gonna be a long time before I can get out from under the thumb of the conglomerates it looks like.
400 MB??? That sucks!
Do you get cell phone service at your house? Have you looked at a cell modem? Check out millenicom.com... THey have a cap but if you buy the modem it is 10GB...
[Reply]
Martel 07:49 PM 11-12-2010
How is the resolution on these various streaming options? I'm intrigued, but I'm addicted to HD...

Cheers,
G
[Reply]
BloodSpite 07:55 PM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by mmblz:
400 MB??? That sucks!
Do you get cell phone service at your house? Have you looked at a cell modem? Check out millenicom.com... THey have a cap but if you buy the modem it is 10GB...
I looked in to it (It's what I used to do for a living after all :-) ) however the service at my house is spotty. The terrain doesn't lend itself to sustained data rates worth a hoot. Even my smart phone has issues.

HughesNet uses what they call a FAP or Fair Access Policy. Basically says how much you can download in a 24 hour period. This includes your E-mails, uploads, etc. So I don't watch many video's as you may imagine heh

Once you exceed that speed, they cut you back to dial up.

Not to mention you have the same weather issues with the Sat ISP that you have with Sat TV. Weather, rain, cloud cover, etc.
[Reply]
mmblz 07:59 PM 11-12-2010
bummer!
we had millenicom with an antenna, it worked ok. then DSL came out here, was the best day :-)
[Reply]
BloodSpite 08:29 PM 11-12-2010
Would love to see at least DSL.

Drives me nuts everyone talking about "High speed this" "highspeed that" and "Everyone has access to highspeed, what are you crazy?" mentality some companies have now.

Just gahhh!
[Reply]
Bill86 09:28 PM 12-02-2010
I rock cable internet, but I've been cable TV free for 2-3 years. I almost forgot we didn't have cable. I watch everything from my computer always have always will. I wish they would get Fiber optics out here though. Comcast sucks, they are the reason we don't have cable.
[Reply]
jimmyk26 10:05 PM 12-02-2010
I've been on an internet only diet for 4 years now. The best thing is that there is more and more content online every day. As mentioned before the only thing I miss is all of the sports, but that doesn't motivate me to switch back. To each their own, but I am very happy with my set up!
[Reply]
Mugen910 10:15 PM 12-02-2010
There are a few sites that allow live streaming of sports...

Also, get a digital tuner card for the PC and build a $2 antenna...you'll get all the local channels in HiDef...so Sunday Games are not missed.

I cut my Dtv bill in half because i wanted to cancel service but they wouldn't let me go...I'm missing the big channels but Mom gets to keep her shows that only Dtv offers. I still get to watch most sporting events.
[Reply]
J0eybb 11:37 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
There are a few sites that allow live streaming of sports...

Also, get a digital tuner card for the PC and build a $2 antenna...you'll get all the local channels in HiDef...so Sunday Games are not missed.

I cut my Dtv bill in half because i wanted to cancel service but they wouldn't let me go...I'm missing the big channels but Mom gets to keep her shows that only Dtv offers. I still get to watch most sporting events.
You can get channels that are close with a cheap antenna. There is a website (http://www.antennaweb.org/) that tells you what you need to receive certain channels. I am missing two local channels with my cheapo antenna. Although if your TV has a a qam tuner you can leave your cable plugged in and get a lot of channels.
[Reply]
the nub 11:59 PM 12-02-2010
Haven't watched on the tube in over 2 years. Everything I want to watch can be streamed online- hockey, MMA, first run movies, TV, etc.

Canadians can watch Hulu and CBS by installing Hotspot Shield.
[Reply]
hammondc 08:32 AM 07-12-2012
Bumpity bump. Looks like the availability on HULU and other services makes it easy now
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:35 AM 07-12-2012
I am trying to cut out the Dish. I have Hulu on a Roku and Netflix streaming. I also use Amazon for rentals. I just haven't pulled the plug yet due to a couple shows I want to keep. Must... cut... cord...
[Reply]
jledou 09:16 AM 07-12-2012
Interestingly enough I believe Time Warner pushing back on the networks and their little spats might push the networks further and further to broadcasting through the internet and possibly doing an pay per channel network subscriptions directly to the end user.

I fully believe ESPN is the reason cable still has any viability in major cities. Remote areas are still another story.
[Reply]
hammondc 10:00 AM 07-12-2012
Originally Posted by jledou:
Interestingly enough I believe Time Warner pushing back on the networks and their little spats might push the networks further and further to broadcasting through the internet and possibly doing an pay per channel network subscriptions directly to the end user.

I fully believe ESPN is the reason cable still has any viability in major cities. Remote areas are still another story.
Yep. This most recent fiasco between DirecTv and Viacom has pretty much pushed me over the edge.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 34 > Last »
Up