Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Island (The other ones) Reviews>The Egg Maduro. Yes, I smoked it.
Ratters 05:41 PM 01-28-2010
Cigar: Drew Estate Egg Maduro
Wrapper: Maduro
Binder and Filler: Nicaraguan
Size: Egg 6x42/70/42
Price: $12.99 at CI. They were $20 at my local B&M.

Setting: Sitting in the garage, about 50 degrees out at 3pm. Considering cranking on the heater. Pairing the smoke with a Barq's.

Pre-light: Well, the "cigar" comes in its own coffin packed with tobacco leaves. The cigars wrapper was a deep chocolate brown, with smallish veins. It had a couple patches as well as one hole that was left unpatched about 2mm big. The smoke is pretty firmly packed with only a couple soft spots. The smell off the foot is light and smells faintly like Captain Black pipe tobacco. I cut the cap and the pre-light draw was snug with the same CB flavor.

First Third: The cigar lit up easily enough, and the smoke was light and had that kind of roasty pipe tobacco taste to it. Nothing nauseating yet, but I can tell I'm going to be in for a long day. The flavors and finish are very mild, not sure if that is a complaint or a blessing. About 3/4" in I had to touch it up as the burn was getting overyly wonky. The draw is still a bit tough so I tried another cut of the cap. Didn't help. I'm hoping it will open up as I get to the 'egg' part of the smoke, as I'm starting to get a headache suckin on this thing like a too thick milkshake. This thing gives of a crazy amount of resting smoke. Wish that much came out of the foot. Sort of.

Second Third: The draw has freed up a bit, but I think it was some mashing around the head that did it. The flavors are of light cocoa and a slight woody taste. Ok, just got back from throwing up. Seriously. Don't think it was the flavors of the cigar, I think it was due to drawing so hard I inhaled. Eh, back to the grind. The body of the smoke is still mild and the finish is short. Though the Totino's pizza I had for lunch an hour ago has added a nice piquant pepperoni flavor to the aftertaste. I'm surprised, as part of the natural line, that this has no "infused" flavor to it, just mild tobacco. As the burn gets to the center of the egg the cigar gets very soft. The middle third takes a painfully long time to smoke through.

Final thoughts: Ok, I hope you guys will forgive me, but the headache and continuing dry heaves are compelling me to call it quits. I really wanted to take this one to the end, but sadly it's not to be. Thanks Patrick for the opprotunity to enjoy this gem.

Smoke again: No thanks
Buy again: Didn't buy this one, but no.
Reccommend: Depends on how much I dislike the guy.
[Reply]
G G 05:44 PM 01-28-2010
nice review.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 05:46 PM 01-28-2010
Originally Posted by Ratters:
Hey, man... you gonna eat that drumstick? :-)
[Reply]
TheRiddick 05:56 PM 01-28-2010
Steve, only one question: WHY?!
[Reply]
Knip23 06:13 PM 01-28-2010
That thing has the worst pull and gives you the biggest headache take a tbs of sugar should help a little bit. I smoked one a while back it was just so i could say i did.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 06:14 PM 01-28-2010
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
Hey, man... you gonna eat that drumstick? :-)
:-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 06:21 PM 01-28-2010
Blowin chunks and carry on.......

Now THAT'S a review!
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:21 PM 01-28-2010
This is one maduro I won't be trying...LOL!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
AD720 06:25 PM 01-28-2010
I have both flavors in the humi! Just waiting for a time to try one. (I'll make sure to have a puke bucket handy). :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 06:26 PM 01-28-2010
Thanks for taking one for the team.:-)
[Reply]
okieRob 06:34 PM 01-28-2010
That is what I call dedication :-)
[Reply]
0002S 06:40 PM 01-28-2010
usted tiene huevos grandes
[Reply]
groogs 08:30 PM 01-28-2010
As always, a great review and very nice pictures. Throwing up and returning to the smoke, you are the man Steve.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 08:46 PM 01-28-2010
Next time, just let it hatch- you'll have a cute little Maduro running around.
[Reply]
Namerifrats 10:00 PM 01-28-2010
Nice! That second picture of the cigar being smoked does look like a chicken leg dipped in bird crap...lol
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:01 PM 01-28-2010
That is about as far as I could smoke mine last year.
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:05 PM 01-28-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Thanks for taking one for the team.:-)
:-) I think you may be a little crazy though Steve :-)
[Reply]
South Shield 10:38 PM 01-28-2010
You gave your body up for that review, I like that...
[Reply]
bobarian 12:23 AM 01-29-2010
Wow Steve, what can I say? Amazing to man-up through the dry heaves.:-)
Now we have see how MOBD likes his! :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:13 AM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Wow Steve, what can I say? Amazing to man-up through the dry heaves.:-)
Now we have see how MOBD likes his! :-)
Bob gifted me one a few months back! I think I'll bring it to the Herf this weekend!!!

But with all the great food I doubt I'll have "dry" heaves!!!
:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up