Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 70
1 231151 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
Pitmaster 07:49 PM 03-27-2009
I am going to try to knock out some pale ale this weekend. Any one else brewing?
MIke
[Reply]
okieRob 08:18 PM 03-27-2009
I haven't brewed in a year....I need to dust off the brew kettle.
[Reply]
Ollie 08:19 PM 03-27-2009
Nothing until after april 15. :-)
[Reply]
lightning9191 09:04 PM 03-27-2009
An IPA currently....just bottled an oatmeal stout about a week ago.
[Reply]
Drat 06:56 AM 03-28-2009
Bottled a DIPA last weekend.
Bottling a honey red tomorrow
Have an amarillo hop pale ale that I mutated with 2.5 lbs of honey and 30 oz of golden raisins down for a long nap in secondary
Have a chocolate russian imperial stout that developed an infection 8 months ago sitting in the corner. I haven't been brave enough to taste it yet. I might end up being okay. I've been meaning to check it out but haven't had any bottles ready for the slight chance that it is actually good.
[Reply]
Mark C 07:32 AM 03-28-2009
16 gal of Central Coast Syrah. Just freed up a 6 gal carboy so I'm going to start beer soon, looking for a good kit now.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:05 AM 03-28-2009
Once I get my outdoor station set-up for spring time brewing, I'll cook up a Bell's Two-Hearted Ale clone.

Aging a DFH 90 Minute IPA clone that I'm not that happy with. It's settled down & clarified very nicely, but for some reason the profile is more like an old ale or Barleywine than an IPA. Too fruity. :-)
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 08:21 AM 03-28-2009
Great thing about homebrewing even when your not happy with it it is still beer.
[Reply]
Pitmaster 05:48 PM 03-28-2009
I am going to make a Mexican inspired beer after this pale ale with some agave nectar I picked up, we will see how that comes out
Mike
[Reply]
kaisersozei 03:58 PM 04-04-2009
I'm pumped! Last year I planted some hops rhizomes--a pair of Cascades & a pair of Nugget. They had decent growth, nothing spectacular, although I wasn't expecting much since it was their first year and they had to establish a root system.

Was just walking around the "herb" garden and noticed substantial growth already from the Cascades mound--easily 4", and these things hadn't even broken the surface last weekend!

Hop vines can grow 12"/day thru the middle of summer. I'm hoping for a good harvest this year :-)
[Reply]
lightning9191 08:14 PM 04-04-2009
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
I'm pumped! Last year I planted some hops rhizomes--a pair of Cascades & a pair of Nugget. They had decent growth, nothing spectacular, although I wasn't expecting much since it was their first year and they had to establish a root system.

Was just walking around the "herb" garden and noticed substantial growth already from the Cascades mound--easily 4", and these things hadn't even broken the surface last weekend!
You'll have to keep us updated.....at least make sure you post pics of any hop harvest you have this year.
[Reply]
Drat 08:38 PM 04-04-2009
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:

Hop vines can grow 12"/day thru the middle of summer. I'm hoping for a good harvest this year :-)

Congrats. Be careful using first year hops in your brews. Most people recommend only using them for dry hopping until the third year harvest. Can't seem to remember the specific issues, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the flavor being raw/off when they are new...
[Reply]
Footbag 03:57 PM 04-07-2009
Just put 5 gallons of American pale ale in the fermenter. Watching it bubble!
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 05:31 PM 04-07-2009
Dang....makes me want to get back into homebrewing!
[Reply]
tooomanycolors 08:57 PM 04-16-2009
dont personally make beer but I do dable in mead

In the primary I have a lambic braggot
In secondary I have a belgian triple braggot, and a habanero capsicumel
and ready to bottle I have a peach melomel
[Reply]
Drat 01:51 PM 05-08-2009
I'm excited. I found out late yesterday that I made it through the first round of the National Homebrewer's Competition. Took 1st place in category 19 (strong ale) for the northeast region with a score of 37 for my old oak ale (the same one I gave away on the contest board last month). I now go up against 29 others for the category finals.
[Reply]
LichtS 01:54 PM 05-08-2009
Originally Posted by Drat:
I'm excited. I found out late yesterday that I made it through the first round of the National Homebrewer's Competition. Took 1st place in category 19 (strong ale) for the northeast region with a score of 37 for my old oak ale (the same one I gave away on the contest board last month). I now go up against 29 others for the category finals.
Congrats Bud! Are you bottling? If so I would love to try it!
[Reply]
Drat 07:21 AM 05-11-2009
Originally Posted by LichtS:
Congrats Bud! Are you bottling? If so I would love to try it!
Unfortunately this one went really fast. I'm brewing it again with a few tweaks to the recipe in July, which means it'll be ready to drink next April...
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:02 AM 05-11-2009
Originally Posted by Drat:
Congrats, Brian! 37 points is a nice score. I hope they still give out those cool first round awards--would make a nice framed addition to your brew house! :-)

Keep us updated on your beer's progress :-)
[Reply]
Shaerza 11:32 AM 05-11-2009
Ive got a nut brown kit batch in the secondary right now. I managed to ruin my second batch so I figured I better keep it cheap till i get another batch I dont ruin. My first batch ever tho, was a pretty awesome IPA. Excited to keep going with this.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 70
1 231151 > Last »
Up