Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Omar Ortez Original maduro torpedo
borndead1 11:18 PM 04-27-2018
I used to smoke the sh!t out of Omar Ortez Originals natural torpedoes. They came in these cool bigass boxes of 60 and were fantastic smokes. I would score those boxes of 60 on C-bid for like $150 or even less. I smoked so many of them that I burned myself out on them and haven't smoked one in probably 5 years and I never tried the maduro. Well I snagged a 5-pack on the Famous auction site so here we go.

Nice looking cigar. The wrapper is a really pretty shade of dark brown. The cigar is very well constructed and heavy in the hand. I am really glad to see that the construction of this line is still good after all these years. The same cannot be said of many other brands.

First few draws...sweet tobacco on the draw, wood and spice through the nostrils. The OOO were total spice bombs, so this maduro blend is a pleasant surprise.

About 1" in...the sweetness has intensified a bit. Fragrant tobacco and cocoa through the nostrils.

About 2" in...same dominant flavors, with a bit of coconut on the finish. When I imagine what a maduro cigar should taste like, this is it. Slow, even burn.

About halfway...same flavors, but the "strength" has kicked up just a notch. I am really digging this cigar. This is a slow burning cigar. One minor burn correction.

A little past halfway...same dominant flavors, but the coconut finish has intensified a bit. The "strength" has bumped back down a bit, making the flavor and nose exhale very smooth. Burning straight.

Toward the end...the "strength" has kicked back up, with the coconut on the finish becoming more pronounced. I let 'er die around 1.5".

Final thoughts...WOW! I can't believe I turn my back on Omar. Halfway though this cigar I was looking up boxes. Definitely recommend. :-)
[Reply]
G G 10:18 AM 04-29-2018
Great review. I bought a box a year ago and love them too.
[Reply]
Up