Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Micallef Herencia
Don Fernando 09:58 AM 04-24-2018
The second cigar that I’m smoking of this brand, I got it at intertabac. And let’s go a little deeper into the brand. Micallef is a cooperation between two families, the Micallef family and the Gomez Sanchez family. The Gomez Sanchez family entered the tobacco industry in 1934 in Cuba when the patriarch of the family started working in a tobacco factory in Pinar del Rio at age 11. He worked for some well known factories like H. Upmann before fleeing Cuba and ending up on the Spanish island of Gran Canaria.

His daughter in law, Migdalia Sanchez, also had a background in tobacco and was so knowledgable that Habanos send her to conventions all over the world. She too fled the country and both her and the rest of the family ended up in Mexico where they continued growing tobacco and making cigars until she started a factory in Esteli, Nicaragua too. With her two sons in the company too, this is really a family business with a heritage so it’s perfectly legitimate to create a cigar called herencia. The cigar has a msrp of 13 dollar.

This herencia is only available in a torpedo shape, in two blends, a maduro and a habano and I’m smoking the latter. The wapper is aged Nicaraguan habano with a Sumatra binder from Ecuador and filler from Nicaragua and Honduras. The wrapper looks nice in color but the vein on the top makes the head of the cigar a little rough on the eyes. The ring is the same as on the Esperiencia with the expiation that the greenish blue is now completely blue. The shape is good and the cigar feels evenly filled. The aroma is mild to medium strong and classic barnyard.

Since it’s a torpedo I have not option to cut the cigar, it has to be s flat cut and so happened. The cold draw is good, I don’t taste much, just some dry tobacco. After lighting I taste an unpleasant wood. Some sugar shows up too, but the cigar is getting a little harsh. Halfway I also taste a little pepper. The final third starts with a little cinnamon and wood, but harsh and unpleasant. On my lips I taste pepper.

The draw is fine but the light gray ash has big gaps and isn’t very firm. The ash is thick and full. The burn is good. This is a medium bodied and medium flavored cigar that lacks evolution. The smoke time is short, an hour and five minutes.

Would I buy this cigar again? Look at the score and you’ll know the answer.

Score: 80

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...llef-herencia/
[Reply]
Up