Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Discussion>Restoration advice.
nutcracker 05:14 PM 01-21-2017
So I'm busy with a small Ropp pipe. The bowl is coming on nicely, but the stem is problematic. It appears to be bone. I managed to clear most of the stains and gunk off with Polydent and an ultrasonic cleaner.

There are unfortunately some major bite marks. My choice is to leave as is ( but it is nearly though to the draft hole) or to fill with superglue (which will show I'm quite certain)

Thoughts? Advice?

[Reply]
Tio Gato 05:40 PM 01-21-2017
My only quess, and there must be a better way, is to find a dentist friend. They can make a paste from a kit and color match it. It's used to fix minor tooth damage. Seems safer to use then glue:-)
The closer I look I think that might be polished horn of some kind.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 06:40 PM 01-21-2017
Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
My only quess, and there must be a better way, is to find a dentist friend. They can make a paste from a kit and color match it. It's used to fix minor tooth damage. Seems safer to use then glue:-)
The closer I look I think that might be polished horn of some kind.
I was going to suggest this, they have some "temp" stuff you can by at CVS or maybe London Drugs in your case, that is for when you need to do a temp filling on your own tooth, it's the same puddy and you can just smear it in.
[Reply]
nutcracker 02:17 PM 01-22-2017
So here is the finished job. Decided not to fill it just yet...

[Reply]
Weelok 02:29 PM 01-22-2017
Very nice
[Reply]
jsnake 02:29 PM 01-22-2017
Looks pretty good. I'd have no clue how to fix that but slide a rubber tip on to hide it and all good. Unless you are like me and your OCD knows it is there hiding under that rubber but mocking and laughing at you "nah nana nah nah".
[Reply]
T.G 03:01 PM 01-22-2017
Neil,

You mention you "blasted" the top of the pipe you have for sale here:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72545

I'm just curious, do you mean media blasting of some sort or does this term mean something else entirely north of the border?
[Reply]
nutcracker 03:04 PM 01-22-2017
Originally Posted by T.G:
Neil,

You mention you "blasted" the top of the pipe you have for sale here:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72545

I'm just curious, do you mean media blasting of some sort or does this term mean something else entirely north of the border?
I meant sandblasted. Brings out the briar grain. As opposed to a smooth finish or "rustication"
Pipe nerds will probably understand....
That pipe has two textures and two colours. Funky....
[Reply]
nutcracker 03:06 PM 01-22-2017
P.S if anyone really likes this little Ropp, in spite of the stem chomp dents, then I'm open to offers. It's light and has a fine antique look to it with the horn stem.
[Reply]
T.G 03:08 PM 01-22-2017
Originally Posted by nutcracker:
I meant sandblasted. Brings out the briar grain. As opposed to a smooth finish or "rustication"
Pipe nerds will probably understand....
That pipe has two textures and two colours. Funky....
Thanks, that's what I kind of thought, but wanted to ask.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 04:16 PM 01-22-2017
Great job Neil. I read up on horn stems and a lot of the advice is to never clench them as they're so soft. The previous owner must have bit it pretty good.
[Reply]
Alpedhuez55 01:07 PM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
I was going to suggest this, they have some "temp" stuff you can by at CVS or maybe London Drugs in your case, that is for when you need to do a temp filling on your own tooth, it's the same puddy and you can just smear it in.
That temp dent stuff would not last very long. It dries kind of powdery and will fall apart.
[Reply]
benjellyy 12:08 AM 03-31-2017
Originally Posted by nutcracker:
So here is the finished job. Decided not to fill it just yet...

Nice One
Thank you for share It
[Reply]
Up