Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>The Ortega Project Blend #1
Ratters 07:57 PM 07-22-2014
Not sure what's in the blend but it's a 6x46, one of my favorite sizes.

I love most of the stuff Eddie makes so I thought I'd jump in on his Ortega Project, sort of a blend Kickstarter. He's making 5 samples and the one that get's the most votes we get a box of.

As for this blend, the wrapper was a nice chocolaty color, though a bit rough and veiny. The cigar seemed pretty solid with one soft spot about an inch from the foot. The cigar had a great barnyard smell to it, it took me awhile to lite it cause I just enjoyed the smell so much. The initial draw was a bit tighter than I like, even after reclipping the head. Not really bad, just a preference thing.

I lit up the cigar and really liked the first blast of flavor. It's a spicy cigar with some pepper right at the start. The pepper faded pretty quickly but the spice remained throughout the whole cigar.

The burn line was thin and reasonably straight right at the beginning and the ash was a light gray and nice and solid. Shortly after the pepper subsided and slight sweetness that was very enjoyable came it. About an inch and a half in problems started though. I started to get a tunnel that turned into a plug as the smoke volume decreased. I suspect the problem was this was a really fresh cigar combined with a slow rate of smoking. I nipped off the plug and kept at it but it happened again. After one more clip things settled down and smoked fine the rest of the smoke.

Smoke body was medium, though I suspect if I let the smoke dry out a bit and gave it some time in the humidor it would be fuller. Definitely full strength though, I could really feel it as I hit the final third. The remainder the smoke was an absolute delight. The spicy sweet flavor remained till the end, If I would have let this sit in my humidor a few months I think this might have been one of the best cigars I've ever had, just absolutely loved the flavor.

I still have four more cigars to go out of the samples, but if this one was picked I definitely wouldn't be disappointed.

Here's the link for more information if you're interested, though I think participation is done for this one: http://www.theortegaproject.com/
[Reply]
Bruzee 08:01 PM 07-22-2014
Great review on a stick I'd really like to try now. Thanks!! :-)
[Reply]
Zane 08:12 PM 07-22-2014
My 5 are resting. Will light one up soon,
[Reply]
Ratters 10:55 PM 07-22-2014
Ugh, I wish I had patience and given this one a couple weeks rest. Still a great stick.
[Reply]
Zane 04:26 AM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by Ratters:
Ugh, I wish I had patience and given this one a couple weeks rest. Still a great stick.
I figured I would wait until all the samples were mailed.
[Reply]
Ratters 05:53 PM 07-23-2014
You sir, are a better man than I. :-)
[Reply]
jsnake 06:11 PM 07-23-2014
Eddie is a great guy and makes great cigars. I wanted in on this but it started right after my daughter had a long hospital stay. I love supporting Eddie. Just an amazing guy and if you have never met him you need to hit one of his events.

This is going to be interesting to see what everyone picks. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully he does this again in the future.
[Reply]
Up