Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Black Pearl Original Perfecto
Xolotal Mungin 01:50 AM 07-20-2014
La Perla Habana Black Pearl Original

Wrapper: Brazilian Arapiraca maduro
Filler: Nicaraguan, Mexican and Dominican
Vitola: Perfecto (6 x 60)

I have to admit, I have a hell of a time identifying which cigar is which from La Perla, due to their strange banding and unhelpful website. I’m next to positive I have it right for this one. I’ve smoked the robusto before, but much preferred this perfecto. I had also recently smoked the La Aurora perfecto, which is in a whole different class, but made for an interesting comparison.

Firstly, this is a budget stick. Even at CI retail they run $20 for a 5-pack. I scooped a 10-piece sampler pack for $16 on CigarBid, so we’re looking at $1.60 a stick. Esthetically, they are fine, not gorgeous construction, but I’m not a stickler for prettiness. I do like the look and feel of that toothy Arapiraca wrapper and the burn was solid and even from start to finish.

Flavor-wise, I’d agree in most with the retail copy (not always the case.) The flavors of charcoal, wood and some nuttiness were prominent, with a hint of pepper and complimented by the sweet maduro wrapper. I wouldn’t go so far as to call it “subtle caramel sweetness” like the copy, but maybe a simple burnt molasses. The double perfecto shape created a nice shift in balance over the duration.

Value-wise, these can’t be beat. I’ve paid twice this and more for a cigar I enjoyed half as much and the sampler packs do bulk out the humidor with a solid everyday smoke. I call that a win.

[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:40 AM 07-20-2014
Are the wrappers still dyed?

They used to make your hands and mouth turn. lol
[Reply]
Xolotal Mungin 07:41 AM 07-20-2014
Yeah, there was talk about the Maduros doing that. I didn't notice anything like it, but will keep an eye out on the next one.
[Reply]
Up