Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Cain F Lancero
the MacDonald 08:19 AM 04-21-2014
Personal History: One of my local B&M’s carries Cain, but insisted the line was a punishment for all the sins of the world. I paid it little mind (their opinion and the Cain line) because they kept me well fed on Tatuaje Reservas.
Meanwhile, I have grown to realize I like a longer smoke, but not a giant smoke, so lanceros became a natural fit. When I started poking around the lancero world…Cain F lancero…well I couldn’t get away from them. Then, I read the fine print…Oliva makes Cain. I love Oliva! A nic puro…I love Nic puros! Perhaps I should give the F lancero some face time. Naturally, I am a day late to this party, and as soon as I realized what I have been ignoring all these years, the announcement came that they were out of production as of April.

The dog is Satchmo, my English Bulldog. He's usually more animated but he was made at my wife because she skipped the Saturday morning adventure walk because of a photo shoot.

Pre-light—I also love tubos, convenience in a tube form. I am a practical guy, and the tubos protection and a band at the foot (I hate it when a cigar start to crack and fray at the foot) makes a lot of sense. A double bonus here because I don’t really care for the branding, the blood red, gold and black doesn’t work for me so removing the band left me with face to face with a well-made stick. Aromas of high end coffee, leather, and an earthy jungle scent that makes me want to crack open Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness” again.

Light/first third—Muscles, meat, this is the stick I’d want after months of trekking through the jungles of Africa. It raw and potent. I wished it was hotter outside. This will be a great stick to sweat out an august afternoon in the Nutmeg State. Espresso, steak straight from the grill with a side of grilled peppers. A slight undercurrent of nutmeg, and or cinnamon—this would work very well with Bacardi 8 rum. A bright white ash formed along a nice straight burn line and held together even in the brisk wind.

2nd third—the nutmeg and cinnamon became a little more pronounced, but the charred meat (a good thing) and espresso ruled the battlefield. This is definitely a hot weather stick (it was low 60ish, sunny, with some gusty breezes). The construction was Oliva perfect. The potency has not let up at all. I half wonder if I rose to meet the stick, or the stick rose to meet me. Usually beyond the first third I get acclimated to it, but this one kept delivering, but only delivering more of how it started.

3rd 3rd—Still an impressive smoke, but it lacks the complexity of a truly great smoke. I’ve been smoking a lot of My Fathers and the like, cigars that wander all over the spectrum like good jazz, they improve on the original theme, fold it, morph it, and transmute it into something original and unique. Cigars that make me tell my wife to be quiet. The Cain has all the right pieces, but the alchemy isn’t there yet. I think some age would make a big difference on these.

Conclusion--This cigar was like a muscle car. Turn the key, the engine explodes with ferocity, thunder, and potential. Mash the accelerator and a torrent of power pours forth, but once you’re at 60-70-80-90+ mph, it settles into an impressive, sensation of power and wind, but you can only accelerate so much. I bought a box of these, and I might buy another to lay down for a little while. I think they will join become legion in a few years when they are no longer on the market, but more importantly with some time to meld they'll become more than their original parts.
Attached: 20140419_120330.jpg (105.4 KB) 20140419_121841.jpg (90.3 KB) 20140419_124836.jpg (86.3 KB) 20140419_131537.jpg (91.2 KB) 20140419_134917.jpg (92.9 KB) 
[Reply]
Zane 08:41 AM 04-21-2014
Buy them now. They will be gone soon.
[Reply]
big_jaygee 11:07 AM 04-21-2014
Now this is a great review :-)
[Reply]
CigarBandits 12:01 PM 04-21-2014
Great review! I have one from one of the release parties ( bought the wooden box of the robustos and one came with it ) but never smoked it. After this review I might have to give it a shot!
[Reply]
the MacDonald 12:11 PM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by big_jaygee:
Now this is a great review :-)
Ha! Thanks Biggee. I was a published poet "back in the day when fish could walk," and I have been trying to get my "chops" back. I am unemployed after 10 years of doing battle on the corporate front and frankly, all I want to do is lift weights and smoke cigars.

I'll be reviewing everything I can so my brain doesn't turn to mush.
[Reply]
cmitch 07:35 PM 04-21-2014
I love this cigar. I picked up a box last week.
[Reply]
Ogre 08:39 PM 04-21-2014
I am not a big lancero fan, but these I really like as well. Great review.
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 08:40 PM 04-21-2014
Wow this is a great review I can't wait for you to do some more. I have one of these from a trade that I haven't smoked yet. I am scared that when I smoke it I will like it and won't be able to get any more. I may have to smoke it quick to see if I like it while I still have a chance at getting some. In the event that I do like them any advice as to where I might find some?
[Reply]
MrClean 08:44 AM 04-22-2014
I was much like you Joe, just had my first one a couple of months ago and quickly found 2 boxes for and snatched them up. I'm going to keep my eyes out for anymore that pop up, for me, they are just too good to pass on. Great review :-)
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 07:38 PM 04-22-2014
Just found them on the devil site right now on the price drop thing
[Reply]
meatcake 08:24 PM 04-22-2014
LOVE these cigars. They are like dynamite in your mouth with a side of beef jerky!
[Reply]
MrClean 04:00 PM 04-23-2014
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba:
Just found them on the devil site right now on the price drop thing
Atlantic has them for $42 and change a box (10ct). Just for comparison purposes.
[Reply]
the MacDonald 05:20 PM 04-23-2014
Originally Posted by MrClean:
Atlantic has them for $42 and change a box (10ct). Just for comparison purposes.
Good call! I got mine from the devil's free fall a week ago. I was watching the same auction today and it resets at just below 50.
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 10:50 PM 04-23-2014
Nice they were out of stock I thought last time I looked
[Reply]
MrClean 06:14 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba:
Nice they were out of stock I thought last time I looked
Michael they usually go quick. However this time they are still in stock and I think it's been a couple of weeks now that they've been 'in stock'. Jump on them if you can :-)
[Reply]
kydsid 07:47 PM 06-16-2014
I am a little late to this party, but I had one of these today. Reminds me of the first release of the Oliva V Lancero. Spicy but it appears to have legs to age very well. I know my Oliva V Lanceros that are well over 5 years old are sublime these days. Picked up a box tonight and have high hopes for this cigar.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 09:04 AM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by kydsid:
I am a little late to this party, but I had one of these today. Reminds me of the first release of the Oliva V Lancero. Spicy but it appears to have legs to age very well. I know my Oliva V Lanceros that are well over 5 years old are sublime these days. Picked up a box tonight and have high hopes for this cigar.
You aren't the first to have that opinion, Jason. I, too, will probably be looking for some of these in the future.
[Reply]
kydsid 09:25 AM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by CRIMPS:
You aren't the first to have that opinion, Jason. I, too, will probably be looking for some of these in the future.
I wouldn't wait. I've heard they are no longer being made and that the last of the production were all bought out. Couple places have them listed as backorder already.
[Reply]
the MacDonald 02:11 PM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by kydsid:
I wouldn't wait. I've heard they are no longer being made and that the last of the production were all bought out. Couple places have them listed as backorder already.
+1, they seem to be going quickly. There still around sporadically, but the prices are going up on the devil site and some others. Its a same because I think they are really going to benefit from some age, so the better they get, the less I'll have.
[Reply]
Up