Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Indian Tabac super fuerte natural
Volcodom 05:30 PM 07-10-2010
Some time ago I invested twenty dollars in a brown bag sampler from CI. I got the usual assortment of 5 Vegas and Padilla that is expected with this sampler, and have since smoked them. This one looked like it would be an excellent stick to me (as you don't go far in the cigar world without hearing the prestiege of Rocky Patel). So I took this baby out of my humidor after a few weeks and got it ready for a wonderful evening smoke.

Pre-light and start-up: There was no doubt this cigar was not in the greatest condition (either through my own inexperience in storing or in production itself) as there was a dark spot on the cigars underside, and the wrapper was flaky. I cut it with my Xikar and began to light it up tasting a very nice combination of leather, and strong coffee notes with a hint of pepper.

First third:The taste of strong coffee and leather began to fade in and out showing complex flavors of wood, and making the spice flavors more apparent. However after about the first inch of the robusto I had really terrible burn issues. The cigar would not burn straight and what was worse was it's taste seemed to degrade. The leather stopped being leather and became bitter, the pepper was lost in the stale flavor.

Second third and finish: At the midpoint I tried to correct the burn and relight the cigar with absolutely no success. The flavor remained bitter and became less pleasant as it sat on my palate. Then it got even worse. The cigar would produce so little smoke even after several puffs that I could draw almost no flavor. I had hope it would correct itself and even attempted maintenance, what I found as I kicked off a third ash horrified me, as the cigar was almost empty of filler and the smoke had become so hot that as far as 2.5 inches away from the nub I was being burnt. I'm sad to say at this point I had to quit.

can honestly say I had high hopes for this cigar, and found only disappointment. I truly hope I just got a dud, as this same cigar is reviewed nicely elsewhere. All I know is, for at least some time, if I want a full bodied cigar I'll buy a box of Cu-avanna intenso instead.
[Reply]
dyieldin 05:42 PM 07-10-2010
Sounds like it was over-humidified to me.
[Reply]
Ogre 05:44 PM 07-10-2010
Thanks for the review. Have not tried the natural, but like the maduro.
[Reply]
Kreth 05:45 PM 07-10-2010
Sounds like you got a dud. The ITSFs are decent smokes, although I prefer the maddies. Thanks for the review. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Volcodom 06:21 PM 07-10-2010
Originally Posted by dyieldin:
Sounds like it was over-humidified to me.
This could very well be the case as that spot on the underside may be a result of it. Though I am no expert by any means. I am just using the humidifiers included with my humidors (and the cherry humidor in particular needs a second one to maintain 70% so I supplement with a drymistat tube) so if this sounds suspicious it is as I am but a simple newbie in the world of aging:-)

As for the maduro version of this, I will have to try and see just how good it is thanks for the suggestion guys:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:33 PM 07-10-2010
The maddie version of this stick is nice. :-)
[Reply]
dyieldin 06:36 PM 07-10-2010
Ah, 70%, that well may be it. I know, I know everyone says 70/70 but I have found these issues tend to go away in the low 60s. I am currently considering another big humi for storing/aging that I can run at 70 and then my smaller current one to smoke out of.
[Reply]
G G 06:48 PM 07-10-2010
I do like the maddie better but the naturals aint bad. Thanks for the review.:-)
[Reply]
Ogre 12:16 PM 07-11-2010
Am smoking a natural as I type. Had one in my Humidor from a HERF that I got a "FEW" sticks at. Not bad, a little mild for me. Definitely like the Maduro better, but would not turn one down if offered.
[Reply]
Starscream 02:40 PM 07-11-2010
Originally Posted by dyieldin:
Ah, 70%, that well may be it. I know, I know everyone says 70/70 but I have found these issues tend to go away in the low 60s. I am currently considering another big humi for storing/aging that I can run at 70 and then my smaller current one to smoke out of.
:-)

Lower the humidity of your humi. And give this cigar another try. IT Super Fuertes are great sticks for the price.:-)
[Reply]
Volcodom 05:47 PM 07-11-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
:-)

Lower the humidity of your humi. And give this cigar another try. IT Super Fuertes are great sticks for the price.:-)
I am certainly going to give this line another try (and probably reduce my humidity a bit) I wanna keep an open mind since my palate is still changing
[Reply]
Up