Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Padron Ambassador
rhmalone 01:30 PM 06-24-2010
Padron Series Ambassador [lonsdale]

Wrapper: Nicaragua Maduro
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Size: 6 7/8 x 42

I’ve often avoided writing a Padron review, for the simple fact that every cigar within the Padron Series I’ve had the pleasure to smoke, I’ve found each about the same. Which is to say a quality, consistent, go to cigar. Today, however proved such a beautiful day, it seemed only fitting I carve out a bit of time to enjoy a cigar and what better choice than the Padron Ambassador?

My initial inspection resulted in a rather rugged looking cigar that while not something you’d take home to mom, was well constructed and set firmly in hand. The pre-light aroma was caramel sweet and rather inviting, and I quickly forgot about the rugged, dare I say unkempt appearance. Like with any other Padron I’ve smoked before the cap clipped easy and the draw was just right.

She lit up like a champ, producing billowing clouds of smoke that faded into the rich blue sky above. Immediately I was greeted by a wave of deep pepper, which wonderfully coated my entire pallet. The maduro wrapper helped to balance the pepper with a fine dusting of chocolate, mixing together to create the perfect blend of creamy snap pepper.

The marble grey/black ash was light and anything but firm, falling off a bit too easily about every half inch. The burn however was dead on even, despite the best efforts of the breeze; which did it’s best to remind me of its presence.

As I approached the two thirds point of the cigar, the flavor had decidedly mellowed, settling into a gentle, yet rich pattern distinct of cigars baring the Padron band. Every now and again, I would catch the faintest kick up of caramel; which helped pull me along what had now become a lazy afternoon smoke.

Entering into the final third of the cigar, I began to notice the flavor was mostly that of the maduro wrapper. There was a definite richness and fullness to this final third which made for a fine finish. While I can’t say for certain, I may have noticed a touch of toast as the cigar came to a rather pleasant finish, about seventy minutes later.

As far as flavor is concerned, the Ambassador didn’t prove overly complex, nor did it dissatisfy–it is a Padron after all. My guess is the maduro gave this cigar a bit more excitement than you might find with the natural. Medium in strength, it was, as I mentioned a good afternoon cigar.

Appearance: 2 (3)
Construction 3 (3)
Taste 2.5 (4)

Total score 7.5 (10)
[Reply]
68TriShield 02:33 PM 06-24-2010
The maduros are my preferred Padron wrapper as well.Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
Texan in Mexico 08:22 PM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
The maduros are my preferred Padron wrapper as well.Thanks for the review!
+1 - I really enjoy the 64 and 26 (Bellis), the Ambassador has been hit or miss with me. Some good and some not. I dont think its a production issue - any ideas?
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:28 PM 06-24-2010
Love me some Padron maduros. :-)
[Reply]
rhmalone 02:29 PM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by Texan in Mexico:
+1 - I really enjoy the 64 and 26 (Bellis), the Ambassador has been hit or miss with me. Some good and some not. I dont think its a production issue - any ideas?
What do you mean by "hit or miss?" Is it an issue with your Rh?
[Reply]
GHC_Hambone 06:31 PM 06-26-2010
I like Padron maduros so I will have to try this one, lonsdales are one of my favorite shapes.
[Reply]
rhmalone 04:43 AM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by GHC_Hambone:
I like Padron maduros so I will have to try this one, lonsdales are one of my favorite shapes.
I typically don't do lonsdales, preferring a toro, but the change of pace was rather nice.
[Reply]
longknocker 07:10 AM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Love me some Padron maduros. :-)
I'm Not Surprised!:-) My Favorite Padron, Too! Grat Review & Pics!:-)
[Reply]
Starscream 05:00 PM 06-27-2010
I love this smoke, or any Padron for that matter!:-)
[Reply]
Up