Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Gurkha Sherpa Cafe
OHRD 10:35 AM 06-16-2010
Size: 6×52, Torpedo

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan (Esteli, Jalapa, and Condega)

Strength: Medium

Price: Bundle of 20, $49.99

Grade: 8.4

Sold in bundles of 20 and billed as one of the top bargains around, the Sherpa Café from Gurkha Cigar and Kaizad Hansotia is said to be a limited edition stick and is apparently available in only size, a 6×50 Toro – however, the sticks I received in the sampler were a Torpedo and I’m guessing on the size, around a 6×52. I received this stick in a sampler from Cigars International and it’s been resting for around a year or so.

There is not a lot of information about the Sherpa Café online, which isn’t surprising considering how many cigars Gurkha puts out. To get an idea of Gurkha’s production, there is a great company profile, with all their sticks, found here.

If you have some more information about this one, or if you’ve had it yourself, leave a comment below. Also, this is not to be confused with the regular Gurkha Sherpa, which is similar in price, but features a Nicaraguan Habano wrapper and Dominican and Nicaraguan filler. Now, on to the toast.

Pre-light, 1.8:
The Sherpa Café is beautifully constructed; a medium brown wrapper with a slight red hue forms into a well shaped Torpedo that is triple capped. With minimal veins and clean seams, there are no soft spots and it carries a firm, heavy weight. The aroma has a vegetal undertone with a primary scent of chestnuts and a smokey woodiness, while the cold draw reveals a tight draw.

Burn, 1.5:
The tight draw on the pre-light carried all the way through this smoke. The burn was slow and at times produced an adequate amount of smoke, but only rarely. The burn was razor sharp and the ash stacked into a thick sheet of white-gray. Had a more open draw revealed itself at any point during the smoke it would have been greatly appreciated.

Flavor, 2.5:
The first burst has a gentle and sweet spice that introduces the first third, which carries a bit more pepper in the back of the throat. The second third brings a mellower profile with a clean sweetness and burnt toast. The final third maintains the burnt toast profile but also brings a sour harshness. Overall, the finish is short with minimal aftertaste and a clean body. The final third was the least enjoyable portion of the cigar.

Overall, 2.6:
Give me a Corona or Robusto vitola, a better draw, and no harshness and I’ll call this one golden – be we aren’t there with the slow-drawing Torpedo. The Sherpa Café is a beautiful cigar but the burn was inadequate and a nuisance, while the flavor was enjoyable until the final third, when a harshness arrived that carried the cigar to the nub. At the price point this is definitely a cigar I’d try again, and hope for a better burn.

(Total: 8.4)
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:30 PM 06-16-2010
Damn fine review Matthew. These are a nice change of pace stick for me...creamy and very mild. :-)
[Reply]
E-Tx Surveyor 08:54 PM 06-16-2010
I'm gonna have to see if I can't grab one of these at the local shop. I haven't seen 'em before but I've enjoyed all the other Gurkha's I've smoked.
[Reply]
OHRD 06:11 AM 06-17-2010
Originally Posted by E-Tx Surveyor:
I'm gonna have to see if I can't grab one of these at the local shop. I haven't seen 'em before but I've enjoyed all the other Gurkha's I've smoked.
Might be difficult to find at your B&M, but you can get them here for about $2 a stick.
[Reply]
Up