Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Recipes>Cuban Food Recipe: Sandwich Cubano
Blueface 05:26 PM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by Neuromancer:
I knew this thread wouldn't get past Carlos...:-)
:-)

What hole did you come from? Where have you been?
You have been a witness to that pig.

Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Remember kids.... don't ask Carlos what time it is.

He'll tell you how to make a watch....

Then lick your eyeball.
:-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:34 AM 12-21-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:

Anyone ever want to try a great one, get my wife or I to make you one.
promises promises Carlos.
[Reply]
T.G 01:27 AM 12-21-2010
Mental note - must ask Marcelino Cardenas where to buy real Cuban bread in Sacto next time I'm at his shop.
[Reply]
Blueface 05:48 AM 12-21-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
promises promises Carlos.
True.

We did take the easy way out and took you to a very good Cuban restaurant instead.

Timing was just not right for the wife and the roast.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:01 PM 12-21-2010
:-) im just busting some balls Carlos
[Reply]
Blueface 08:23 AM 12-22-2010
Ferdi,
You should have been here for Christmas Day, our traditional Cuban Sandwhich with leftover Pig Day.
Picking up Piggy tomorrow and will marinade overnight for Christmas Eve dinner.
Will post photos of our Cuban sandwiches on Saturday.
You will have to plan a return trip with better timing for sure.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 09:15 AM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Will post our Cuban sandwiches on Saturday.
Fixed that for you. :-)

Oh, and thank you in advance! :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 04:41 PM 12-25-2010
Made our regular Christmas Day Cuban Sandwich from leftover pig roast.

Here are photos start to finish.

Leftover pig is heated and ready to be shredded.

Butter on one side of bread, mustard on the other, ham and cheese await the pork.

Shredded pork arrives

Pile it on high
[Reply]
Blueface 04:42 PM 12-25-2010
On grille they go.

Ready to enjoy

[Reply]
Matt-N-Ga 09:48 PM 12-25-2010
You forgot the pickle....:-)

Looks amazing, think I'll make some up tomorrow evening for dinner...thanks for the ideas
[Reply]
Blueface 12:00 PM 12-26-2010
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga:
You forgot the pickle....:-)

Looks amazing, think I'll make some up tomorrow evening for dinner...thanks for the ideas
Trust me........didn't forget. I hate pickles.
[Reply]
pektel 08:34 PM 08-07-2013
Shoot. I KNEW I should've checked CA before pulling a recipe of the interwebz for the pork. This recipe sounds much better. I was walking through the supermarket today, and they had Virginia ham on sale, so i bought a pound. Then was in the meat section, and they had pork loin on sale for 1.88/lb. so i bought a half one for like 6 bucks. When i set it in the cart, i thought... "I bet i can turn this stuff into a cuban sandwich! So went and got 2 loaves of take and bake italian bread (closest thing i could find up here).

Have the pork loin marinating right now in a recipe i followed here:

http://m.justapinch.com/recipes/main...rna-asada.html

I really want to smoke/grill this thing instead of putting it in the oven... Like smoking for the first hour, then putting it into a foil pan in the grill or oven to finish it. Since it's a loin, i want to baste to make sure it stays moist. I reserved a cup of the marinade like the recipe said in my link. What worries me, is i had a ton of limes in the frig, so only used lime juice.

Hopefully i didnt fubar it.
[Reply]
pektel 08:50 PM 08-07-2013
Also, pretty sure im gonna buy this press tonight. Have it in the cart now with my finger on the trigger.

http://www.caloby.com/Cuisinart-5-in...=1&quickcart=1
[Reply]
T.G 09:31 PM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by pektel:
Shoot. I KNEW I should've checked CA before pulling a recipe of the interwebz for the pork. This recipe sounds much better. I was walking through the supermarket today, and they had Virginia ham on sale, so i bought a pound. Then was in the meat section, and they had pork loin on sale for 1.88/lb. so i bought a half one for like 6 bucks. When i set it in the cart, i thought... "I bet i can turn this stuff into a cuban sandwich! So went and got 2 loaves of take and bake italian bread (closest thing i could find up here).

Have the pork loin marinating right now in a recipe i followed here:

http://m.justapinch.com/recipes/main...rna-asada.html

I really want to smoke/grill this thing instead of putting it in the oven... Like smoking for the first hour, then putting it into a foil pan in the grill or oven to finish it. Since it's a loin, i want to baste to make sure it stays moist. I reserved a cup of the marinade like the recipe said in my link. What worries me, is i had a ton of limes in the frig, so only used lime juice.

Hopefully i didnt fubar it.
So, it'll be a bit different. It's only food. Toss some roast beef or genoa salami in between the pork and ham for a different twist.

Smoke wood might overpower the sandwich. I cook my lechon asado on the smoker, but with no smoke wood, just briquettes, and at about 320-350F. I still get a pit roasted flavor that you can't get in an oven but the (smoked) pork doesn't overpower the rest of the ingredients. Cooking at 320-350F makes the shoulder firmer so you can slice it.

FWIW, the OP recipe came from "Three Guys From Miami" at www.icuban.com. Carlos (blueface) pointed me at that site a few years ago, and their recipes are awesome.
[Reply]
pektel 02:42 PM 08-08-2013
Makes sense about the smoke. I just put the loin in the oven.

Might use a few homemade pickles from your recipe.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up