Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humi care jars good or bad
Bill86 09:30 PM 08-29-2010
Oh I know, I was too ! I forgot a smiley
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:32 PM 08-29-2010
I have a small humicare-jar in one of my 500 ct. Vicksburgs. Keeps steady 63%. I recharge it every few months. I like 'em.
[Reply]
dwoodward 08:49 AM 08-30-2010
Isn't there a rule about recharging the humi-care jars with 50/50 solution every few months? I forget.

Beads are easier tho.
[Reply]
Bill86 10:06 PM 08-30-2010
I only had the Humicare jar setup for 2-3 weeks tops. Definitely not longer than a month.

The beads are on their way with a palio cutter. Hopefully this works better.
[Reply]
OLS 10:01 AM 08-31-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Beads.
Heartfelt or Shilala.
Beads....Heartfelt.
[Reply]
itzfrank 11:52 AM 08-31-2010
CigarNut on here is in charge of Shilala. You can PM him directly to get answers about the dimensions.
[Reply]
T.G 12:10 PM 08-31-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Isn't there a rule about recharging the humi-care jars with 50/50 solution every few months? I forget.

Beads are easier tho.
No, just distilled water. PG would just be wasted.

I'm not sure how you can make the blanket assertion that "Beads are easier".

It really depends on your local area climate. For some climates, one product is going to work better than the other, and vice-versa in other climates. Each one has some properties that the other lacks.

I use both in coolers, have been for years. Where I live, the gel actually requires much less attention. I charge it once every 4-6 months and thats it. Beads go about a month or month and a half between recharges. Since that's all I do to both of them, I guess that actually makes gel easier here for the type of service I'm using it for, while someone in a different cliamte might have different results.
[Reply]
Bill86 12:37 PM 08-31-2010
Yeah I just used distilled water.

Originally Posted by OLS:
Beads....Heartfelt.
Yeah I ordered the heartfelt beads not sure when they'll be here, probably Wednesday.
[Reply]
dwoodward 01:50 PM 08-31-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
No, just distilled water. PG would just be wasted.

I'm not sure how you can make the blanket assertion that "Beads are easier".

It really depends on your local area climate. For some climates, one product is going to work better than the other, and vice-versa in other climates. Each one has some properties that the other lacks.

I use both in coolers, have been for years. Where I live, the gel actually requires much less attention. I charge it once every 4-6 months and thats it. Beads go about a month or month and a half between recharges. Since that's all I do to both of them, I guess that actually makes gel easier here for the type of service I'm using it for, while someone in a different cliamte might have different results.
I use Shilala beads in my main humidor and the humicare gel in my smaller humidor. The beads are a lot more stable and never need to be touched. Therefore, easier in my opinion.
[Reply]
T.G 08:40 PM 08-31-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
I use Shilala beads in my main humidor and the humicare gel in my smaller humidor. The beads are a lot more stable and never need to be touched. Therefore, easier in my opinion.
That's much better.
[Reply]
Bill86 04:02 AM 09-02-2010
Got my beads and cutter in today. Beads are holding a nice 66 RH (65 RH beads). I'm waiting to try the cutter maybe today later on I'll test it out.
[Reply]
longknocker 04:08 AM 09-02-2010
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Got my beads and cutter in today. Beads are holding a nice 66 RH (65 RH beads). I'm waiting to try the cutter maybe today later on I'll test it out.
:-):-) Now You Can Enjoy Your Smokes, Brother!:-)
[Reply]
Bill86 03:53 AM 09-03-2010
The beads are working fantastic, I tried the cutter today. Only cutter I've ever used that started to pinch the cigar. To me my Palio feels like there is too much resistance when cutting. Or maybe I just have to get use to it.

I got about half the cigar smoked before it self ashed. MUCH better than the 3-4 self ashings I dealt with before. :-) to heartfelt beads
[Reply]
icehog3 07:39 AM 09-03-2010
How much do you cut on your cigar, Bill? If I am using a Palio on a cigar with a regular (not torpedo) head, I just barely shave off the top of the cap. The sharp blades make it a cinch.
[Reply]
Bill86 02:39 PM 09-03-2010
Got ya perhaps I am taking off too much. I'll give it another go around today. That explains it, I was like what the hell my cheap $2 guillotine will do that in 2 seconds.
[Reply]
bobarian 03:21 PM 09-03-2010
Yup, just the very top maybe 1/8". Also, use a quick squeeze not a slow deliberate cut. I also moisten the top in my mouth before cutting. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 05:03 PM 09-03-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I also moisten the top in my mouth before cutting. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up