Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>New Xikar VX V-Cut
tx_tuff 04:55 AM 08-27-2010
Xikar has a new V-Cutter coming out this fall called the VX V-Cut. I was lucky enough to get one ahead of time to try out. The thing is sweet and I wanted to share a couple pics. And a full review here http://bit.ly/dAgAFR

[Reply]
elderboy02 04:56 AM 08-27-2010
$49.99 seems a bit expensive. I have a $2 V-cutter that works just fine.
[Reply]
tx_tuff 05:08 AM 08-27-2010
I have a 2008 ford pick that works fine but its not as nice as a 2011 GT 500! If you like a V cut and don't want to spend that much money you should look for the Wolf, same blade as the one above but plastic body, goes for $10 to $15 and I promise you that you will fall in love with it and you won't say "it works just fine".
[Reply]
awsmith4 08:54 AM 08-27-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I have cut a cigar with a $2 guillotine cutter but wouldn't trade it for my Palio

I kinda like the V-cut maybe I'll pick one this up this fall
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:04 AM 08-27-2010
I concur about it being a bit expensive. I'm very loyal to my Xikar MTX which can be had for about $30.

Thanks for the review TX. I'll prob look around for a coupon or wait for a sale on these since I do like the V-Cut option.

i also have the $2 V-cutter and def keep that in the golf bag as a back-up to a back-up. It works but it's not the most consistent cut.
[Reply]
dwoodward 09:08 AM 08-27-2010
Nevermind...
[Reply]
waffle 09:38 AM 08-27-2010
I've NEVER seen you use a V-Cut.... liar :-) and that looks like a great cutter... I may have to try that new fangled v-cut out :-)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 04:16 PM 08-27-2010
DANG... cool cutter. Certainly looks like a quality V-Cutter.

(Must resist! I hardly ever v-cut, but that Xikar looks sweet.) :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 04:56 PM 08-27-2010
Originally Posted by waffle:
I've NEVER seen you use a V-Cut.... liar :-) and that looks like a great cutter... I may have to try that new fangled v-cut out :-)
That is because you never come up to cigar night anymore :-)
[Reply]
timo 05:46 PM 08-27-2010
Very nice pictures. I want one!
[Reply]
dwoodward 06:10 PM 08-27-2010
Why would you V-Cut?
[Reply]
Mugen910 06:37 PM 08-27-2010
It is just another cut. No real reason behind it for me but def better thank my random pinch with finger nails method :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
darkleeroy 06:37 PM 08-27-2010
It supposedly concentrates the smoke of the cigar so that you can focus it on your pallet. I personally have never experienced a difference from a regular cut.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 07:03 PM 08-27-2010
I like v-cut so this is nice but like already mentioned the price is not right :-)
[Reply]
Kdub 08:28 PM 08-27-2010
Picked up a cheapie V-cutter recently, and find it works well with torpedoes and perfectos. Gives a little more surface area for the draw than a straight cut. Was planning to pick up a Wolf cutter, but may have to wait now for the Xikar to hit the auction sites.
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 08:42 PM 08-27-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Why would you V-Cut?
From JR Cigars web site...

Originally Posted by :
A unique cut is a "v-cut," which requires the use of a specialized v-cutter. This tool cuts a wedge-shaped notch in the head of your cigar. Another unique, but similar, cut is the "cat's eye." While the edge of the v-cut is straight, a cat's eye- cut is curved like a pointed ellipse. Both of these cuts tend to concentrate the smoke on the center of the palate - some folks swear by these cuts while others hate them. Both styles of cutters need to be extra-super-sharp to work well.

[Reply]
tx_tuff 11:30 PM 08-27-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Why would you V-Cut?
I was never a fan until a friend gifted me the Wolf V-Cutter. That was prob close to 3 years ago if not a little longer. I only first used it when I didn't have another cutter with me, and I fell in love with the cutter not the cut if that makes since. The design of the blade (same on the new Xikar) just cuts the cigar perfect with never any issues. I have never used any other cutter that cuts so easy and clean. So really its not the V-Cut I like but the cutter. The Wolf I have has been used at least 900 to 1000 times and still cuts perfect!

For those worried about the price that is just MSRP, I'm sure you will be able to find them cheaper once they are out. Plus Xikar is for life, any problems send it back for a new one.
[Reply]
ScottishSmoker 01:12 AM 08-28-2010
I played with one of these at the IPCPR...AWESOME CUTTER...I ordered one immediately!
[Reply]
gvarsity 08:54 PM 08-28-2010
Originally Posted by tx_tuff:
I have a 2008 ford pick that works fine but its not as nice as a 2011 GT 500! If you like a V cut and don't want to spend that much money you should look for the Wolf, same blade as the one above but plastic body, goes for $10 to $15 and I promise you that you will fall in love with it and you won't say "it works just fine".
I'm with you. Love the wolf cutter.
[Reply]
Montano 05:45 AM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by gvarsity:
I'm with you. Love the wolf cutter.
x2
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up