Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Cutter?
pnoon 10:41 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
I still cannot justify getting a 50-60 dollar cutter when if this one happens to break, I can just go to my B&M and get another one for a buck.
I'm not sure where you are pulling the $50-$60 figure from but a Palio can be puchased for just a bit more than half that. Also, by your logic you will never smoke any premium cigar since you can always get one for a buck or two. :-)

To each their own.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:43 AM 08-19-2010
Dunhill makes a nice pocket cutter with a loop to carry like a pocket watch. I bought a pair of cigar scissors a week or two ago that I am loving for under $20!
[Reply]
dwoodward 10:47 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I'm not sure where you are pulling the $50-$60 figure from but a Palio can be puchased for just a bit more than half that. Also, by your logic you will never smoke any premium cigar since you can always get one for a buck or two. :-)

To each their own.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cigars and Cutters are not the same thing.
[Reply]
timj219 11:19 AM 08-19-2010
I couldn't understand at first why anyone would spend good money on a cuter when the freebie I received in a sampler seemed to do such a good job. Live and learn, the freebie cut well for a while and now it's mangled my last two cigars. No big deal at home I just use a razor blade but now I'm in the market for a good cutter for when I'm out and about.
[Reply]
awsmith4 11:43 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by timj219:
I couldn't understand at first why anyone would spend good money on a cuter when the freebie I received in a sampler seemed to do such a good job. Live and learn, the freebie cut well for a while and now it's mangled my last two cigars. No big deal at home I just use a razor blade but now I'm in the market for a good cutter for when I'm out and about.
I agree, I have used cheap ones but my Palio cuts clean and precise every cut. Mangle 3 $10 cigars with a cheap cutter and the Palio is justified
[Reply]
dwoodward 11:50 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
I agree, I have used cheap ones but my Palio cuts clean and precise every cut. Mangle 3 $10 cigars with a cheap cutter and the Palio is justified
I dunno, I guess I really don't care about my cuts... tbh, I have smoked 5 or 6 cigars that I cut while camping where I forgot my cutter, I just cut them with a knife. The ends were mangled to all hell, but they smoked just fine and tasted consistent to a cigar with a clean cut.

To each their own tho.
[Reply]
bishjd123 12:09 PM 08-19-2010
For less than the price of a 5 pack I picked up my Palio. Best cutter I've ever used. It only took one cut using my Palio to covert my a fellow BOTL. He went out and bought one the next day.
[Reply]
poker 12:20 PM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish:
So, ... My question is, should I buy another Palio, or should I go with a ST Dupont cutter?
I would suggest you go with the Palio. I have a Dupont cutter as well but never use it since the Palio cuts much cleaner every single time.
[Reply]
darkleeroy 12:34 PM 08-19-2010
I dunno, I guess I really don't care about my cuts... tbh, I have smoked 5 or 6 cigars that I cut while camping where I forgot my cutter, I just cut them with a knife. The ends were mangled to all hell, but they smoked just fine and tasted consistent to a cigar with a clean cut.

To each their own tho.
The problem with mangled cuts is that sometimes the wrapper will start to unravel mighty fierce. Tends to happen to the cigars with thinner wrappers.

Honestly, if the cigar isn't triple capped I bust out the Palio, if it's got the third cap, I use whatever I have handy at the moment. Most of the time that handy object is a cheap $1 single blade guillotine that I can trace the cap off.
[Reply]
dwoodward 12:36 PM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by darkleeroy:
The problem with mangled cuts is that sometimes the wrapper will start to unravel mighty fierce. Tends to happen to the cigars with thinner wrappers.

Honestly, if the cigar isn't triple capped I bust out the Palio, if it's got the third cap, I use whatever I have handy at the moment. Most of the time that handy object is a cheap $1 single blade guillotine that I can trace the cap off.
I suppose, but the guy at the local B&M uses a Xikar cutter, and swears by them, yet I have seen his cuts, and my dollar bin special cutter makes cleaner cuts every time.
[Reply]
darkleeroy 12:41 PM 08-19-2010
And that could definitely happen, some of these inmates still have a Havana cutter (considering one person bought 100 of them) from a long, long time ago that wasn't expensive but still cut razor sharp.

Eventually, it yielded to the Palio, which was developed by the cigar community for it. Which is why we hold it dear. That and it can cut your finger off if you're not careful.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:08 PM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by timj219:
Scissors will give you the best and cleanest cut. It may take a while for your to get there in your cigar journey. I think just about everyone chooses scissors in the end. :-)
[Reply]
Brad 02:03 PM 08-20-2010
I have used my Palio everyday, for 2-3 cigars a day, for the past 3 years and it cuts just like the day I got it.

After you screw up a few $10+ sticks with a cheap cutter, you quickly learn the value of having a good cutter to use.
[Reply]
BTcigars 02:32 PM 08-20-2010
Simple solution: Get the money you would spend on a Dupont cutter and buy a Palio and use whats left over to buy cigars!! :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 02:33 PM 08-20-2010
I still cannot justify getting a 50-60 dollar cutter when if this one happens to break, I can just go to my B&M and get another one for a buck.
35 dollars for a Palio with a lifetime guarentee.
[Reply]
Krish the Fish 02:18 AM 08-21-2010
Originally Posted by BTcigars:
Simple solution: Get the money you would spend on a Dupont cutter and buy a Palio and use whats left over to buy cigars!! :-)
haha if only it was that simple. I'm actually contemplating selling away most of my collection (save the rare Tats & CCs) and all my humidors except for a travel one and my Edgestar, and spend that money on one of my other vices: clothing. My new ST Dupont lighter should be here tomorrow (I expected it here today!!), and I've still not made a decision on the cutter, though it appears that the Palio seems to be the way to go. Also, as it turns out, my favorite cigar accessory, my Xikar Xi009 punch, has gone missing as well. It hasn't been a good week for me and my cigars.

I think burl wood it will have to be. Also, it will match my Chasidor drawers, whenever those get made and shipped!
[Reply]
LostAbbott 03:39 PM 08-30-2010
This might sound crazy, but I am a knife guy and have been cutting all my cigars with my knife(I keep them very sharp). It works great and I can control the speed much better while still getting a clean cut. For me it makes the whole cutting process much more enjoyable. The only cigars where the cutter is handy are torpedoes or other similar shapes.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:48 PM 08-30-2010
I own two Xikars and two dressy Montecristo double-guillotine cutters, and haven't paid a cent for either. And no, I didn't swipe them off the table at some herf. :-) With patience, you can find deals where you get one for free with the order of a box of cigars. This is especially true around the holidays.
[Reply]
bigslowrock 08:33 PM 08-30-2010
I vote Palio!
[Reply]
Cyclone 02:44 PM 09-01-2010
Lately, I've using a Credo cutter like this:

http://careysmokeshop.stores.yahoo.net/1068.html

It cuts cleaner and sharper than my Palio.

A lot of my local cigar brothers have thought the same thing.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up