Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>i think my vinos broken
loki 06:51 PM 06-29-2009
I went to check on it last night like I always do, temp was at 80*...which is way over the 65* I set it at. I moved the humidors/boxes out of it and moved it away from the wall and it's still at 74*. anyone ever have this happen before?
[Reply]
fissure 07:01 PM 06-29-2009
Don't even have mine plugged in, but I have heard of the cooling system going on the fritz. Too bad you weren't closer, I'd trade you.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 07:31 PM 06-29-2009
Unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it back in.

Also, they can often have trouble cooling it more than 10 degrees cooler than the ambient, and sometimes even only 5 degrees can be a problem.
[Reply]
markem 07:37 PM 06-29-2009
The service manual is here

From here there is this on ambient temp:

Ambient Temperature: The cooling system of your wine cabinet has the ability to cool a maximum of 25 degrees below the ambient temperature in the room. Therefore, you want to place the unit in a room which will not exceed 78 degrees. Otherwise, the unit will not have the capacity to keep the wine at a desirable 55 degrees. On the other hand, you want to make sure the temperature in the room does not fall much below 55 degrees. The unit only has the capacity to cool the wine inside and cannot exceed the ambient temperature of the room. In addition, the unit is designed only to cool to a minimum temperature of 50 degrees.
[Reply]
vankleekkw 07:40 PM 06-29-2009
Yep, I concur - what is the temp of your room?
[Reply]
loki 07:46 PM 06-29-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it back in.

Also, they can often have trouble cooling it more than 10 degrees cooler than the ambient, and sometimes even only 5 degrees can be a problem.
did part 1. the ac had the apartment at 68ish for most of the day and it won't go below 74
[Reply]
vankleekkw 07:49 PM 06-29-2009
Have you cleaned the filters recently? Without air-flow you can't properly cool.
[Reply]
loki 07:54 PM 06-29-2009
Originally Posted by vankleekkw:
Have you cleaned the filters recently? Without air-flow you can't properly cool.
didn't know this was required. how does one do this?
[Reply]
vankleekkw 07:56 PM 06-29-2009
It is just sitting on the back. Pull it out and clean it with water. If you have an air compressor or computer cleaner, it would be a good idea to blow out the electronics in the back periodically.
[Reply]
loki 07:58 PM 06-29-2009
Originally Posted by vankleekkw:
It is just sitting on the back. Pull it out and clean it with water. If you have an air compressor or computer cleaner, it would be a good idea to blow out the electronics in the back periodically.
i'm going to go try this now, thank you

I pulled the only thing i can find on the back off and it was clean, I also sprayed the electronics down with canned air. it's now unpluged
[Reply]
big a 08:02 PM 06-29-2009
Mine has a little screen thing on the back that i clean off, i have even taken off the protective shell on the back off and taken a vacuum/air compresser to it. I had the same problem with mine. It got real hot here in Ohio and the temp was reading very high and I couldnt get it to come down at all (this was before we turned on the A/C too). You can search my name and find my post, but pretty much everyone said not to stress over it too much. Since then i havnt been watching the temp too much just as that is something added to worry about that is not needed. Try cleaning out the filter and such on the back than just keep an eye on it and inspect your stash every so often.
[Reply]
the3cs 08:55 PM 06-29-2009
I had the thermo cooling unit go out in one of mine a few weeks back. You can order a replacement part via here, the instructions to replace, and the service manual can be found at the website. Cost is 34.95 plus shipping and your time to replace.

Best of luck.

Zane
[Reply]
kgoings 09:24 PM 06-29-2009
Originally Posted by the3cs:
I had the thermo cooling unit go out in one of mine a few weeks back. You can order a replacement part via here, the instructions to replace, and the service manual can be found at the website. Cost is 34.95 plus shipping and your time to replace.

Best of luck.

Zane

Wow that is awesome to know! Cant beat that cost...maybe I will build a humi and add that to it!
[Reply]
rizzle 09:44 AM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by kgoings:
Wow that is awesome to know! Cant beat that cost...maybe I will build a humi and add that to it!
No doubt. The wheels are turning.
[Reply]
Texan in Mexico 09:49 AM 06-30-2009
That does make one think! Good luck with your vino Loki.
[Reply]
cricky101 11:35 AM 06-30-2009
Mine is making me a little nervous lately too with some weird noises.
It gets loud once in a while until I unplug it for a bit and then plug it back in.
[Reply]
alley00p 12:28 PM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by markem:
The service manual is here

From here there is this on ambient temp:

Thanks for posting these links, Mark! :-)

Mine is working ok right now (knock on wood), but it will be handy to have these for future reference. :-)

:-)
[Reply]
rizzle 02:04 PM 06-30-2009
Ya know, I don't think these things are the highest quality in the world, but at least they appear to be fixable at a low cost.
[Reply]
larryinlc 06:42 PM 06-30-2009
Since I've gone thru three in the past two years, I consider them throw away items. I use small ones so they're not that expensive. The Haier I now use is at least servicable, and has performed well for a little over one year. Knock on wood. The only problem I have is what to do with the old ones. In this day of sorting and recycling, they're easier to purchase than to junk.

50.00 to buy and 20.00 to dispose. This is our local refuse service at work.:-)

Larry
[Reply]
rizzle 08:14 AM 07-01-2009
Originally Posted by larryinlc:
Since I've gone thru three in the past two years, I consider them throw away items. I use small ones so they're not that expensive. The Haier I now use is at least servicable, and has performed well for a little over one year. Knock on wood. The only problem I have is what to do with the old ones. In this day of sorting and recycling, they're easier to purchase than to junk.

50.00 to buy and 20.00 to dispose. This is our local refuse service at work.:-)

Larry
Where and what are you buying for $50?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up