Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 26 of 42
« First < 16242526 272836 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Wine Thread
jwintosh 10:16 AM 01-22-2012
good thread!!

i've been drinking a great syrah from James David Cellars (Paso Robles, CA). quite full, and mighty fruity. and, the owner loves his cigars too!!
[Reply]
hammondc 02:27 PM 01-28-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
] Also opened a 2006 Peju Cab Franc. Wow. what a wine. Great earthy flavors, and some forest floor action going on. Not as much oak character as one would expect. This is a wine for the old world wine drinkers to check out.
I have a 2007 Cab Franc and a few various Cabs from Peju. Another of my favorite warm weather wines is the Peju Provence red white mix. Amazing wine.
[Reply]
hammondc 06:25 PM 07-05-2012
Sterling Cellar Club Sangiovese 2007. Damn good
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 06:38 PM 07-05-2012
Originally Posted by jwintosh:
good thread!!

i've been drinking a great syrah from James David Cellars (Paso Robles, CA). quite full, and mighty fruity. and, the owner loves his cigars too!!
I met James at Perfecto Cigar Lounge in Roseville. I'll have to get out to Paso and look him up.
[Reply]
hammondc 12:25 PM 07-18-2012
Any input from you fellas regarding a Rose'? As much as I love my reds, it is summer and I need something a bit lighter.
[Reply]
pektel 01:03 PM 07-18-2012
Don't drink much rose', but I did have a nice Castle Rock Sauvignon Blanc yesterday while sitting on the deck watching the kids play in the pool. It was a nice change of pace.
[Reply]
OLS 01:17 PM 07-18-2012
I managed to search this thread for enough reccos on Chardonnay last week, thanks for everyone who added
their Chard thoughts to this thread over the years. I found several of them at Buster's My sister seems to
only like Chardonnay, so it made the wine buying for my Smokies trip a little blase'. But hell, as long as
everyone is happy, I'm good. I have Jimmy Buffet's finest product, I KNOW I will be content (buzzed).
All I need is ice and rum and mix and fruit and electricity and this paddle ball, and this lamp...and this chair.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:57 PM 07-18-2012
Originally Posted by hammondc:
Any input from you fellas regarding a Rose'? As much as I love my reds, it is summer and I need something a bit lighter.
Tavel is a good style of Rose to look for.
[Reply]
hammondc 02:08 PM 07-18-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Tavel is a good style of Rose to look for.
Thanks a bunch. So Tavel is a varietal of Rose? I thought Rose was just rose. This is uncharted territory for me.

Any reccos for other varietals to look for? Historically, I do not like whites because they tend to be very sharp and usually too sweet. I do like a Viogner from time to time. Seems like most wine pros recommend a Viogner for lovers of red wines.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:35 PM 07-18-2012
Thanks a bunch. So Tavel is a varietal of Rose? I thought Rose was just rose. This is uncharted territory for me.

Any reccos for other varietals to look for? Historically, I do not like whites because they tend to be very sharp and usually too sweet. I do like a Viogner from time to time. Seems like most wine pros recommend a Viogner for lovers of red wines.
Tavel is an appealation in Rhone and their Rose is quite famous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tavel_AOC. Guigal is a good and easy to find brand for this wine. :-)
[Reply]
hammondc 08:36 PM 08-10-2012
337 Cab. Pretty damn decent for $9.
[Reply]
jonharky 12:00 AM 09-02-2012
Wondering if anyone has heard of or has had the cigar box brand cabernet. It's chilean. I bought a bottle haven't tried it yet
[Reply]
deadrise 11:46 PM 09-14-2012
drinking a local wine tonight it is a blend 40% Cabernet Sauvignon 40% Cabernet Franc 20% Petit Verdot
a little pricey but has been very good

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:02 PM 09-16-2012
VA wine is becoming quite the thing in some wine circles. I want to drink more of them. It's a good time to start investing in the best ones for long term aging.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:08 PM 09-16-2012
Shared a bottle of a 2009 Ernie Els Proprietor's Blend last weekend at a cookout, really surprised how much I liked this one.
[Reply]
hammondc 02:10 PM 09-16-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
VA wine is becoming quite the thing in some wine circles. I want to drink more of them. It's a good time to start investing in the best ones for long term aging.
No kidding? I'll have to keep an eye out. Please post up if you find some you like.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:00 AM 09-17-2012
No kidding? I'll have to keep an eye out. Please post up if you find some you like.
I would try some from Barboursville Vineyards. The distributor, Broadbent Selections has one of the best portfolios in the wine business and is their distributor. I assume Barboursville Vineyards must be good if Broadbent is representing them.

I have not tried any of their wines, but their Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Petit Verdot are talked about.

http://www.barboursvillewine.net/winery/
[Reply]
hammondc 07:02 PM 09-28-2012
Starmont Merlot. 2009. Napa Valley. Damn good.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 02:57 PM 11-02-2012
I just got back from Costco where they had '09 Layer Cake Cabs on sale. So I bought a few bottles and cracked one open when I got home. For the price point, I never get tired of Layer Cake :-)
[Reply]
JohnRogers 07:54 PM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
..'09 Layer Cake Cabs on sale. So I bought a few bottles and cracked one open when I got home. For the price point, I never get tired of Layer Cake :-)
The Layer Cake Malbec is the best I have had. Better than Malbecs costing $10, $15 more. It is our "go to" wine.
[Reply]
Page 26 of 42
« First < 16242526 272836 > Last »
Up