1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Opus X Fuente Fuente
weak_link 09:40 AM 12-24-2010
Opus X Fuente Fuente 5.25x50-ish

9:00 pm start
47 degrees Fahrenheit
Paired with water and a good dogs company
10:45 end

Just about everything I've read about Opus X cigars says they are best after 3 to 4 years. Generally speaking, I'm not a huge Opus X fan but I'm going into this with an open mind. The stick I'll be smoking this evening is closer to 5 years old, possibly even six. It wasn't marked with a date and the friend who handed it to me wasn't quite sure. He knew it was more than 5 but less than 7 so, really, who knows. As far as what size or series this is, maybe someone can help me out. It's 5.25x50ish, maybe a 52? The cello is developing a lovely amber tint and is labeled 'Fuente Fuente Opus X.'

The cigar's wrapper is nearly flawless and the cigar is well packed. It's got a firm feel and is weighty in the hand. Cold draw reveals what I would consider a perfect draw with an aged tobacco and light, sweet spice coming through. Dare I say raisins? Yikes, maybe I am in for a treat. Lets get the party started and fire this thing up.

It opens with a distinctive Dominican flavor but no fireworks right off the bat in the flavor department. It immediately produces a full mouth of smoke that's easy to roll around and is smooth on the retrohale. No problems at all retrohaling in fact, no burn just smooth through the sinuses all the way. The pepper blast I was expecting is nowhere to be found in the opener. The ash is what I would expect from an Opus X, that is to say light gray and holding firm.

Second third has picked up in body and the pepper I was expecting is starting to creep in. What's nice is that it's balanced and compliments the woody, aged tobacco flavors nicely. It's quite mild actually. I'm not being blown away with a complex array of spices or flavors which is a bit of a disappointment. The smoke remains easy to retrohale while nicotine has kicked up a notch or two. This is a slow burning cigar, I'm gunna be here a while. A quick touch up with the flame and we're burning even again. Honestly I hope something changes because this is actually a little boring. If I'm going to smoke a cigar of this caliber I'd rather be enjoying a Davidoff Aniversario #3. We'll have to see what's in store for the final third. If this wasn't an Opus X it would probably be in the bushes about now. I feel some strange obligation to stick it out and see if something happens. Smoke went out, maybe I need to pick up the pace after the relight.

I wouldn't say my dreams have come true but things have changed for the better. This must be the 'sweet spot' Sam Leccia worked so hard to tell us about. It's built up to a medium-full bodied smoke. The smoke itself feels thicker and heavier but still smooth as it ever was through the sinuses. While the flavors have improved, it's very subtle. The pepper has faded which is fine by me. It's got a creamier flavor with the aged tobacco being the dominate flavor. I'm having a hard time picking out particular flavors. I can tell you it's not grassy, not especially spicy, not sweet, just sort of woody. As it's winding down past the band the middle of my tongue is detecting a spice and the tip tingling a bit. The smoke is still thick and easy to blow rings with. The finish is long and pleasant.

Yes my ash tray is disgusting.

Buy this again? No There are many other sticks I'd rather spend almost two hours with that I enjoy much more. On a 1-10 scale I'd give this a 6.5. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke, this one just isn't for me.
[Reply]
T.G 09:55 AM 12-24-2010
Eric, that looks like the robusto.

5 years? There's your problem dude, that's two years on the downhill slope. Remember? Rule of 3's.... :-) :-) :-) :-):-)
[Reply]
weak_link 10:01 AM 12-24-2010
Lol! I should have known better. Foiled by the Rule of 3's once again!!!
[Reply]
Mr B 10:47 AM 12-24-2010
Very nice review Eric. Great pics too. I was not impressed with my first Opus. I have another thats been resting a year. Hopefully this one will be better.
But I'm with you, if a stick is going to cost that much, there are many others I would be willing to spend my money on and enjoy.
Thanks again.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:53 AM 12-24-2010
Nice review, Eric. You already know my thoughts on these, but its good you gave it a fair chance. Hope your next smoke is better. Dig up a Juan Lopez #2 if you have one buried somewhere. :-)
[Reply]
Ratters 12:40 AM 12-25-2010
Nice review. But you are wrong. The Opus X is a great stick. No matter what it tastes like.
[Reply]
weak_link 12:46 AM 12-25-2010
Well it does have an outstanding band. :-)

I have had a few petite lancero's that I enjoyed but this particular stick just didn't have 'it.'

Now what to do with the Chili Pepper and others? Probably better off in someone's hands that would appreciate them.
[Reply]
MiamiE 03:42 AM 12-25-2010
My favorite Opus X is the Petit Lancero. A ton of flavors from such a thin stick. I smoked a Fuente Fuente last night and it was just ok...
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 05:02 AM 12-25-2010
I don't know... these just bore me to death now.
[Reply]
MiamiE 05:23 AM 12-25-2010
For a few years now they've been bland. I like the PL though.
[Reply]
Chingas 05:38 AM 12-25-2010
Great review Eric. We all have our own tastes and I'm happy to see you didn't just go with the flow. I happen to love all the Opus I've smoked but that's just me. And Bob is onto something. The JL Sel No. 2 are smoking very well right now!:-)
[Reply]
Volusianator 09:33 AM 12-25-2010
Originally Posted by Ratters:
Nice review. But you are wrong.
No, he's 100% correct as taste is subjective. I've said 1000 times while working at the shop, "every cigar in the humidor is terrible, every cigar in the humidor is wonderful...to someone."
[Reply]
Volusianator 09:33 AM 12-25-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Eric, that looks like the robusto.

Agreed
[Reply]
staminator 10:05 PM 12-25-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Rule of 3's...
I'm still pretty new to all the jargon. What is the rule of 3's? Help a noob out. :-)
[Reply]
weak_link 10:16 PM 12-25-2010
Originally Posted by staminator:
I'm still pretty new to all the jargon. What is the rule of 3's? Help a noob out. :-)
Just a C.A. joke. We had a member that insisted anything past 3 years was past its prime and on the downward spiral.
[Reply]
Bill86 11:23 PM 12-25-2010
Originally Posted by staminator:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...87&postcount=2 There's the most hilarious post ever posted here. IMO
[Reply]
weak_link 04:57 PM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by Bill86:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...87&postcount=2 There's the most hilarious post ever posted here. IMO
That's the one, thanks!
[Reply]
Ogre 05:00 PM 12-27-2010
The Opus is a stick that needs some time. Out of the box, OK. After a year, impressive.
[Reply]
weak_link 05:15 PM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
The Opus is a stick that needs some time. Out of the box, OK. After a year, impressive.
This is the part where we agree to disagree. Most of the ones I've smoked have had at least a year on them, the one in this review had at least 5 years and I still think they suck. More for fellow BOTL's who love 'em. :-)
[Reply]
Ogre 05:18 PM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by weak_link:
This is the part where we agree to disagree. Most of the ones I've smoked have had at least a year on them, the one in this review had at least 5 years and I still think they suck. More for fellow BOTL's who love 'em. :-)
Actually, I would rather have an Anejo over the opus and its a better price. I do see your point. I feel the same way about the Ashton VSG.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up