Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>MasterCard will no longer support the sales of tobacco products online
xFreebirdx 05:47 AM 11-29-2012
Here is a quote from another cigar site. One of the members did some digging........

Originally Posted by :
I did some searching on this and found this statement: March 2011
Mastercard, at least here in the US, is now requiring any online, phone, or mail order purchase of tobacco products to pay them $1000.00 PER YEAR! I told them to go f themselves." I've heard this from other Vendors who will not accept MC....a lot of places are not going to allow themselves to be abused like this and stopped doing business with MC....

http://www.OutwestTobacco.com.
I also feel that all of our customers should be aware of what is going on, so bear with me and read on.

To our customers who have been using MasterCard to purchase tobacco products from us:

MasterCard has informed us that they will no longer allow us to process transactions using MasterCard
unless we register with them. The catch is that they charge a $1,000.00 annual fee to register.

I feel this is excessive, that it is extortion and I have chosen not to meet their demand.

This is yet another effort from the anti-tobacco movement to deny mature adults a simple pleasure in their life.

This leaves you with a choice of using a different credit card or to pay by check or money order. If you use the
check/money order method of payment we must make the decision to either immediately ship the product and hope the
check clears so we get paid, or to delay shipping for a reasonable time to allow the check to clear the bank and then
ship the product.

[Reply]
icehog3 11:22 AM 11-29-2012
Regardless of what his digging uncovered, I continue to use my Master Card to this day without problems.
[Reply]
xFreebirdx 11:32 AM 11-29-2012
Thats nice.........

All I posted was an email I received. Then I posted what a member on another forum found regarding a "fee" that Tobacco retailers had to pay to continue accepting Master Card for online Tobacoo sales.

Luckily, the Earth is still round.

[Reply]
icehog3 11:45 AM 11-29-2012
Originally Posted by xFreebirdx:
Thats nice.........

All I posted was an email I received. Then I posted what a member on another forum found regarding a "fee" that Tobacco retailers had to pay to continue accepting Master Card for online Tobacoo sales.

Luckily, the Earth is still round.

Lucky for who?
[Reply]
Zane 11:48 AM 11-29-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Lucky for who?
For people who try to swim off the edge?
[Reply]
Zane 11:51 AM 11-29-2012
In a serious manner I work with Mastercard daily as the company I work for does servicing for a Mastercard debit card.

Good chance the 1000.00 Fee is probably a scare tactic to deter fraudsters.

People who setup a processing agreement with mastercard, rob people of there money and disappear.
[Reply]
markem 11:52 AM 11-29-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Lucky for who?
Tom, as usual, you miss the truth that is on the Internet (TM, R, (c), etc). We live on a special disc that is know, to the Illuminati (TM, R, (c), etc) as Discworld (TM, R, (c), etc).

Discworld, a flat disc balanced on the backs of four elephants which, in turn, stand on the back of a giant turtle, Great A'Tuin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld
[Reply]
Zane 12:08 PM 11-29-2012
Originally Posted by markem:
Tom, as usual, you miss the truth that is on the Internet (TM, R, (c), etc). We live on a special disc that is know, to the Illuminati (TM, R, (c), etc) as Discworld (TM, R, (c), etc).

Discworld, a flat disc balanced on the backs of four elephants which, in turn, stand on the back of a giant turtle, Great A'Tuin.

I seem to respect you more and more every day heh.
[Reply]
loki 12:14 PM 11-29-2012
that's a shame....my usaa debit card, which i use for my cigar/backy buys, is a mastercard.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:21 PM 11-29-2012
Originally Posted by markem:

If only I had known, Mr. Mark. :-)

Originally Posted by loki:
that's a shame....my usaa debit card, which i use for my cigar/backy buys, is a mastercard.
Read above, doesn't seem to be enforced by many vendors. :-)
[Reply]
czerbe 01:31 PM 11-29-2012
HUH?
[Reply]
meatcake 01:24 PM 08-02-2013
This continues to be an issue and has become even more of a hot button for retailers. This doesn't really hurt the consumer but to give you an example. My fav b&m got their credit card account shut down because is this whole master card issue. It took them almost a week to get this resolved and during that time they were not able to accept any credit cards. They were required to pay a fine and sign up for the annual fee to resume business. Just seems like legalized mafia tactics to me. I say screw MasterCard. Glad I don't have one.
[Reply]
awsmith4 01:29 PM 08-02-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
Old news. This has been going on since about 2005. From what I recall, it's more about interstate cigarette purchases and their tax enforcement than anything else.

Can't honestly recall hearing of any time that it was enforced against a cigar order.
I have been rejected by my Mastercard trying to order cigars. When I called the bank they told me that Mastercard blocked it because it was a tobacco related purchase
[Reply]
357 01:39 PM 08-02-2013
I bet this has to do with the Feds limiting the amount banks can charge for debit/check card fees. A large percentage of debit cards carry the MC logo, including mine. Bank of America claimed this law cost them $1.7 Billion in 2012. It's currently in court.
[Reply]
meatcake 01:43 PM 08-02-2013
I think anyone that is a tobacco smoker should boycott MasterCard. That way they can feel the effect of their nazi tactics in the place it matters. In their wallets.
Less card holders = less interest gathered = less $$. And stockholders will NOT LIKE THAT.
Continuing to use mc to buy tobacco online just jeopardizes the vendors ability to do biz which in the long run will effect you.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up