Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor plains
cjhalbrooks 09:02 PM 12-29-2011
Hey Yall i have a question, I am in the Army and i am working on a humidor design for a "deployment humidor". I want to being this humidor with about 500 cigars. I have a box that will work; but the question is for the guys who own humidors that hold this many cigars. What do i have to look for....

Cjhalbrooks
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:09 PM 12-29-2011
I can't offer any help, as I am not familiar at all with building humidors, but as a side note, you should introduce yourself to us in the New Inmate Forum. Then we can properly greet you and learn more about you!
[Reply]
backwoods357 09:13 PM 12-29-2011
What kind of box are you planning on using and how is the seal?
[Reply]
44stampede 09:16 PM 12-29-2011
Actually I am quite interested in this as well. I want to build a large walk in. Anyone who has a "how to" book or place to research would be appreciated.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 09:17 PM 12-29-2011
it is a box that seals pretty well i have to like it with cedar. It isn't completely air tight. If you have an idea on a box i'm all ears.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:20 PM 12-29-2011
Do they make larger ammo boxes for other supplies with similar locking/sealing mechanisms? A box for .50 ammo might hold 100 cigars and people convert those all the time. People just clean them very well and then line them with cedar. If they made a similar box that's bigger, might work. I never served so I have no idea if there are like footlocker sized ammo boxes.

Welcome to Cigar Asylum and thank you for your service!

Edit: To add to this, if you're looking for something to keep around on base, a cooler might suffice. I doubt it would really take the beating of a deployment though.
[Reply]
jjmitchem 09:24 PM 12-29-2011
Just returned from deployment. I maintained a community coolidor that was locked inside a TAT Box. Kept it humidified with a bag of beads and some moist paper towel on top - dry in Iraq as you know

This worked very well for the entire year

Got a pic of it in my albums. I'll post when I get off my iPhone
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 09:34 PM 12-29-2011
Thanks man i did not know they have used ammo boxes before. I don't know if you can send that in a shipment military container. I will look in to that.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:39 PM 12-29-2011
The key is to clean it, then clean it again, then clean it some more. You do not want any gun oil or other metal/lead/gun powder type aromas to linger. If you google around for ammo can or ammo box humidors you should find plenty of info on how to do it. There are people on this forum who can supply the cedar too. Maybe try Golfnut?
[Reply]
chaase321 08:37 AM 12-30-2011
Ok, this is the first I have heard of the ammo can humi's. um...I'M HOOKED! Is there anyway to get the empty ammo cans from retired/or current military guys? Or do you have to buy them all online?

Or would the suggestion be to start a WTB/WTT thread to get one? I think it would be a great project and would look cool as all get out!

And welcome and thank you Cjhalbrooks!
[Reply]
ApexAZ 10:18 AM 12-30-2011
The only way I know how is to go to an Army Surplus, or find them online (usually also army surplus).
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 10:25 PM 12-30-2011
CJHalbrooks? Yea, REAL original name slick.

Jesus, you live in KY and all of a sudden you call people "y'all".

hahah
[Reply]
Ranger_B 10:03 AM 12-31-2011
My go to deployment humis where the pelican cases, they have never failed me. I also kept a 50 cal ammodor with me so as I was going around I could bring smokes to the different fobs to share with the rest of my teams. The key is the humidification. As long as the box is air tight. Now if you fly often you may want a case that has the ability to depressurize.
[Reply]
jjmitchem 11:19 AM 12-31-2011
Here was our FOB coolidor

When I deployed I traveled with a 15 count(no foam and packed with 20 sticks) and a 5 count

When I arrived at the FOB my wife mailed more and I ordered some from CI (who love the military btw)

Like Rangerb was saying- when I traveled in country I used pelican cases.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 05:05 PM 12-31-2011
thanks guys i have some ideas for what im going to do. you guys have been a great help
[Reply]
bobarian 05:15 PM 12-31-2011
Be sure and post pictures of your work. :-)
[Reply]
Shawn hines 06:13 AM 01-03-2012
My travel humidor is a coolidor with beads. When I travel into kuwait and Iraq via Desert Hawk I take my hand outs in a pelican case with beads. I haven't had a problem.
[Reply]
Shawn hines 06:14 AM 01-03-2012
The ammo can thing works well if you line them with cedar, and you can get all you want at a surplus store for 5 bucks or so
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 08:31 AM 02-12-2012
well after tiring a few different boxes and such this is what i have come up with it still is not dont. I will take all the foam out when i get more cigars
Attached: Deployment Case.jpg (36.8 KB) inside deployments box.jpg (45.2 KB) 
[Reply]
jluck 08:44 AM 02-12-2012
It looks like you have acid cigar(s) in there. If so get them out man.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up