Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Are my gel beads ruined if I used tap water once?
h20wakebum 01:13 PM 02-13-2012
Title says it all.

I had purchased a gel bead humidifier and the first night used tap water woops!!

After that, I was in the shop and the guy refilled it using a propyl solution (I've also read NOT to use that and ONLY distilled water).

Is it ruined? Should I buy another... or just use the distilled water OR propyl solution and I'll be fine?

Thanks,
RR
[Reply]
shilala 01:17 PM 02-13-2012
They'll be fine. Use distilled water from now on and read directions. It's a big help. :-)
The PG solution is a mold inhibitor. It'll fix what you screwed up. :-)
[Reply]
h20wakebum 03:11 PM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
They'll be fine. Use distilled water from now on and read directions. It's a big help. :-)
The PG solution is a mold inhibitor. It'll fix what you screwed up. :-)
Thanks!

So I should NOt use the PG solution when i notice my beads getting that milky white color, just use distilled? Would it be bad to use the PG instead of distilled?
[Reply]
shilala 03:18 PM 02-13-2012
Use distilled water from now on and read the directions, brother. They're doubly screwed up already, I guess it doesn't matter what you do. Continuing to ignore simple directions can't possibly gain better results, right?
[Reply]
dwoodward 03:18 PM 02-13-2012
They come pre filled with a propyl solution. All you do is add distilled water. Tap water is fine once or twice, but if you use it a lot, your gel will turn a weird nasty green color. It really looks gross lol. Not sure why the shop owner would refill it with a propyl solution, that makes no sense and isn't the correct way to fill them. But either way, probably not ruined, yet.
[Reply]
h20wakebum 03:19 PM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
Use distilled water from now on and read the directions, brother. They're doubly screwed up already, I guess it doesn't matter what you do. Continuing to ignore simple directions can't possibly gain better results, right?
Thanks again!
[Reply]
Up