Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Looking for some help with a humi
longknocker 05:38 PM 08-18-2020
Originally Posted by IrishBoi:
So it is common to use beads and packs together? Also I have no idea what count my humi is. How do I know what to start with? For example one pack and 1 canister of beads, 2 and 2.......
Eric: For Simplicity, I Recommend Boveda Packs. You Can Reuse Them By Putting them In A Smaller Container Inside Another Larger Airtight Container Filled With Distilled H20.

Here's The # Of Boveda Packs You Need:
https://bovedainc.com/support/cigars...number-boveda/
[Reply]
IrishBoi 06:35 PM 08-18-2020
That info is much needed for sure! Thank you! Here is the million dollar question. How many cigars will my humi hold? Is there some sort of mathematical formula I can use if I know the sides of the humi that will tell me? Do I need interior measurements? Im only guessing its 300ct, I have no real idea at all
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:37 AM 08-19-2020
One thing to watch out for with Boveda packs: they are filled with a salt compound. After repeated use the paper can wear and the salt can leak which will damage your humidor and your cigars.

As long as you are diligent, you should be OK.

There are two different kinds of beads on the market: silicate (e.g., Heartfelt Industries) and my HCM Beads, which are made of clay. Both work well, but I am biased toward the HCM Beads :-)

No matter what you use, it can take a while to get your humidor dialed in. Make sure to properly season your humidor, and to periodically reseason in. Moisture in the wood keeps the joints tight and helps keep a good seal.
[Reply]
longknocker 01:12 PM 08-19-2020
Originally Posted by IrishBoi:
That info is much needed for sure! Thank you! Here is the million dollar question. How many cigars will my humi hold? Is there some sort of mathematical formula I can use if I know the sides of the humi that will tell me? Do I need interior measurements? Im only guessing its 300ct, I have no real idea at all
Go With 300 Count, Use The Appropriate # Of Boveda Packs After Properly Seasoning Your Humidor & Go From There Would Be My Recommendation. Everyone Prefers A Different RH. I Personally Like 63-68.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 01:32 PM 08-19-2020
Believe it or not, a humidor capacity calculator. In reality, you’ll have different boxes, trays, etc. so, the number of cigars wil be al lot less than here.

https://www.humidordiscount.com/humidor_calculator

PS: I found this with a Google search. You could too.
[Reply]
IrishBoi 08:28 PM 08-19-2020
Yeah my friend google knows a lot as well. I was just being lazy and figured one of y'all might know
[Reply]
IrishBoi 11:01 PM 08-20-2020
So in five days i can open my humi. What is my next step? I haven't ordered a boded system yet. Should I keep it closed till I have a hygrometer? Im still about 2 weeks out from ordering cigars. How should I proceed?
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:52 AM 08-21-2020
Without a good hygrometer it's difficult to say when your humidor is ready. I would wait until you have your hygrometer. just my :-)
[Reply]
IrishBoi 09:24 PM 08-25-2020
Ok. Again sorry for the lack of communication. My boded butler has arrived. I have 2x 69% Rh packs on the way. I figured this was a good middle ground starting point. On the 26th the humi will have been seasoning for 14 days. Whats the next step? Should I wait for the packs to get here and open the humi once the butler is calibrated and the packs are here? or should I calibrate the butler and set it in the humi before I have packs?
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:23 AM 08-26-2020
The important thing is to follow the directions to correctly calibrate the hygrometer. After that, you could follow either path. If you put the The hygrometer in with the sponges, it should read quite high, maybe in the 90s. If you put it in with only the Boveda packs, it should read near their value.

When I say, “it should read,” I mean after you close the humidor and let everything settle down. Since you can watch the value on your phone, I would wait until you see similar readings over several hours.
[Reply]
IrishBoi 09:19 AM 08-26-2020
Well then I guess I should calibrate my butler today
[Reply]
IrishBoi 02:06 PM 08-28-2020
So the butler is calibrated and working great. The Boded packs will be in on monday if I remember correctly. The only thing left was cigars. So I got up this morning checked my account and a payment I was waiting for came in. So I called Cigars International and spoke with a rep. Told them the story of my mom finding the humi for me and I wanted to see if they could create me a sampler. I told them I had 500 to spend. After taxes it was close to 550. Here is what is coming in. Let me know what you think

5 – Romeo y Julieta Bully Belicoso (5.5”x52)
5 – Montecristo White Rothschild (5”x52)
5 – Macanudo Gold Crystal (5.5”x50)
5 – Cohiba Red Dot Churchill (7”x49)
5 – Alec Bradley Prensado Robusto (5" x 50)
5 - MOntecristo White Label Rothschild (5" x 52)
5 - Man O' War Valkyrie Robusto (5.2" x 50)
5 - Gilberto Oliva Reserva Blanc Churchill (7" x 50)
5 - Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne Epicure (6" x 54)
5 – H. Upmann by AJ Fernande Toro (6” x 54)
5 – Romeo y Julieta 1875 Nicaragua Toro (6” x 50)
5 – Montecristo Platinum Toro (6” x 50)
5 – Gurkha Beauty (6.5” x 58)
5 – 5 Vegas Gold Toro (6” x 50)
5 – Macanudo Café Hyde Park (5.5” x 49)
5 – Camacho Scorpion Connecticut Robusto (5” x 50)
5 – Man O’ War Virtue Toro (6” x 50)
5 – Montecristo White Label Robusto (5” x 52)
5 - Gurkha Beast (6.5" x 56)
5 - Gurkha Beauty (6.5" x 56)
5 - Gurkha Titan (6.25" x 56)
5 - Gurkha Crest Churchill (7.0" x 52)
5 - Gurkha Centurian Double Perfecto (6" x 60)
5 - Gurkha Legend Vintage 2001 Double Perfecto (6" x 60)
6 - Genesis The Project by Ramon Bueso Robusto Extra (5.5" x 50)
5 – Macanudo Gold Crystal (No Tube) (5.5” x 50)
5 – Gurkha Legend Vintage 2001 Toro (6.5” x 56)
5 – Oliva Serie O Robusto (5” x 50)
5 – Excalibur Epicure Robusto (5.2” x 50)
5 – Asylum 13 Robusto (5” x 50)
5 – Drew Estate Undercrown Maduro (5” x 54”
5 – Tatuaje Tattoo Robusto (5’ x50)
5 – Tatuaje Havana VI Nobles (5’ x 50)
1 – Liga Privada Tasting Sampler

1 - Herf-a-Dor X5 5-Capacity Travel Humidor
1 - Genesis The Project Wooden Ashtray
1 – Stinky Tall Ashtray
1 – Xikar X8 Cutter
1 - Rockwel Quad Torch Lighter
[Reply]
icehog3 03:16 PM 08-28-2020
Lots of really good cigars in there Eric. And some Gurkhas. :-) :-)
[Reply]
IrishBoi 04:12 PM 08-28-2020
I still have room in the humi in theory. Once this order comes in I’ll prolly join the Newbie trade list. There are also some more specific cigars that I’m looking for. Guess I gotta wait till the B/S/T section gets opened to me
[Reply]
afranco 12:50 PM 09-08-2020
Needed a new hygrometer and purchased the Govee that Markem suggested. Just opened it up and now calibrating it. Thanks for the info and suggestions
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up