Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 270
« First < 345 671555105 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
mosesbotbol 11:08 AM 10-25-2009
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
A chuckie is the same cut as a pork butt and the times are about the same. I cook at lower temps (220 or so) and figure about 1 1/2 hours per pound. It will hold in a cooler for hours though so you want to give yourself plenty of time.

I cook to 170 internal, then foil until the internal is 195 - 200 and a probe goes in with little resistance.
What about the Goat or Lamb Shoulder at 225ish, is it still 1.5 hours a pound or less?
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 07:00 PM 10-25-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
What about the Goat or Lamb Shoulder at 225ish, is it still 1.5 hours a pound or less?
Hmm... about the same amount of connective tissue... so I would figure on that. I really think it will be less though. Just remember... if it gets done early make sure it is wrapped tightly in foil and put it in a cooler. Use old towels to take up the extra space and it will hold for hours.
[Reply]
Scothew 09:24 PM 10-25-2009
It wont overcook itself like that Gator? Im a newb smoker so please forgive my dumbness :-)
[Reply]
T.G 11:04 PM 10-25-2009
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Hmm... about the same amount of connective tissue... so I would figure on that. I really think it will be less though. Just remember... if it gets done early make sure it is wrapped tightly in foil and put it in a cooler. Use old towels to take up the extra space and it will hold for hours.
I've never done lamb on the smoker/q but I've done it on the grill and my instinct agrees with you on that it will take less than 1.5 hours/lb.

I'd be guessing if I said by how much less though.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:28 AM 10-26-2009
Originally Posted by Scothew:
It wont overcook itself like that Gator? Im a newb smoker so please forgive my dumbness :-)

If you mean being wrapped in foil and put in a cooler... I will say sort of!!! If I am holding it for an hour then I cook to the internal I want and don't worry about it. The juices are redistributing and I think it really helps the meat in the end.

If I am holding for longer than an hour then I will take it to just a little lower internal temp, like 5 degrees, and then put it in the cooler.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:03 AM 10-26-2009
Originally Posted by T.G:
I've never done lamb on the smoker/q but I've done it on the grill and my instinct agrees with you on that it will take less than 1.5 hours/lb.

I'd be guessing if I said by how much less though.
Cooking lamb on grill and smoker are quite different. Grill is almost twice as hot.
[Reply]
Scothew 07:04 AM 10-26-2009
Thanks Brent, that totally answers my thoughts.
[Reply]
T.G 11:25 AM 10-26-2009
Cooking lamb on grill and smoker are quite different. Grill is almost twice as hot.
I know.

Point being was that I'm agreeing with gator.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 07:53 AM 10-28-2009
Smokin Gator...I finally got around to trying out the rubs you sent...they were EXCELLENT! Great balance of flavor. Here's the damage from this past weekend...

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:22 AM 10-28-2009
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
Smokin Gator...I finally got around to trying out the rubs you sent...they were EXCELLENT! Great balance of flavor. Here's the damage from this past weekend...
How many people were you feeding?
[Reply]
tuxpuff 08:26 AM 10-28-2009
Well the butts were on sale so I stocked up. 1 was for the football game (5 people)...one for a birthday party later on in the day...and 1 I just pulled and put into individual serving sized baggies to freeze.
[Reply]
T.G 09:46 AM 10-28-2009
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
smokin gator...i finally got around to trying out the rubs you sent...they were excellent! Great balance of flavor. Here's the damage from this past weekend...

<images clipped>
Nice!
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 10:09 AM 10-28-2009
Dang those look good!!!! Glad you liked the rub.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 11:00 AM 11-02-2009
More of Smokin Gator's wings...soooooo good!

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:26 AM 11-02-2009
Cooked a 8.5 lb hotel style turkey yesterday. Did without the water pan and it came out fantastic! Perfect color like Gator's wing picture and so moist.

I am suprised how much of 4 people ate. Barely any leftover's for tonight :-(

This is my first turkey on the WSM and thought practice run before T-day was in order. Ya right, I am just a sucker for turkey and will make as much as I can.
[Reply]
Opusfxd 01:01 AM 11-03-2009
Did a 6# pork butt and a 4# brisket to take to work for a mid shift go live thing Sunday. It was well received with everyone trying a Carolina Mustard sauce I make and loving it.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:17 PM 11-08-2009
Originally Posted by Opusfxd:
Did a 6# pork butt and a 4# brisket to take to work for a mid shift go live thing Sunday.
What do the numbers refer to?
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:45 PM 11-08-2009
What do the numbers refer to?
The weight. Six pound pork butt and a four pound brisket.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:47 PM 11-08-2009
I did nine racks of ribs and a huge pan of Hog Apple beans today for a family get together. I can't wait for the EYH2!!!
[Reply]
Darrell 05:49 PM 11-08-2009
You must spend an ungodly amount on meat, Brent. :-)
[Reply]
Page 5 of 270
« First < 345 671555105 > Last »
Up