Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 70
« First < 234 561454 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
Darrell 03:59 PM 11-08-2009
I just bottled my American Brown Ale. Next week a nice Stout will be started. :-)
[Reply]
JohnnyKay5 05:07 PM 11-08-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I just bottled my American Brown Ale. Next week a nice Stout will be started. :-)
excellent choices
[Reply]
JohnnyKay5 05:10 PM 11-08-2009
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Good luck with that! One of the things I found out with my first coffee porter is that coffee has a detrimental impact on head retention--I think it's something about the oils. If you're bottling, you might want to prime with a bit extra sugar. Mine took about 6 months longer to mature as well, but once it did--:-) I used Starbucks Sulawesi. Great stuff--in fact, I still have a few bottles from my very first batch of it... more than 12 years old!
:-)
[Reply]
kenstogie 06:04 PM 11-11-2009
Kits get delivered tomorrow. :-)

After brewing my own, I find it hard to drink off the shelf stuff.

Is this wrong?
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 06:59 AM 11-12-2009
2 kits from Northern Brewer:

Phat Tyre
Patersbier
[Reply]
kenstogie 08:27 AM 11-12-2009
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate:
2 kits from Northern Brewer:

Phat Tyre
Patersbier
I was checking their site and notice they mention using white ordinary table sugar for priming. Is this recommended? I kind of like the idea as it's cheap and readily available. Although I would probably not be inclined to use it, What about using DME?

Here's a link on the subject but doesn't really say if there are any downsides to them.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

Also heres a chart I found on the matter also.
Attached: Priming Sugar CO2 Chart.pdf (14.2 KB) 
[Reply]
Scimmia 09:57 AM 11-12-2009
The only downside to using table sugar is that sucrose is a disaccharide of fructose and glucose that the yeast has to break apart, then convert the fructose into glucose before it can metabolize it. That's why most people use corn sugar, being pure glucose it can be metabolized without any extra work. You can use DME, but it takes more of it since it's less fermentable, as well as being more expensive to start with.
[Reply]
kenstogie 10:14 AM 11-12-2009
Am I understanding this the only down side is time? No flavor difference?
[Reply]
Scimmia 12:00 PM 11-12-2009
Since you're working the yeast a bit harder, there's a potential for there to be a flavor difference, but since we're only talking about a few ounces for priming, you'll never taste it. Using DME could certainly change the flavor since you're adding unfermentables as well. There are people that claim DME gives them "finer" carbonation, as in smaller bubbles, but there's nothing to back that up, and many others that tried it and claim no difference.
[Reply]
kenstogie 12:17 PM 11-12-2009
Originally Posted by Scimmia:
Since you're working the yeast a bit harder, there's a potential for there to be a flavor difference, but since we're only talking about a few ounces for priming, you'll never taste it. Using DME could certainly change the flavor since you're adding unfermentables as well. There are people that claim DME gives them "finer" carbonation, as in smaller bubbles, but there's nothing to back that up, and many others that tried it and claim no difference.
THanks for the INFO BRO!!
[Reply]
Scimmia 02:57 PM 11-12-2009
Any time. Just make sure you use the correct calculation for whatever type of sugar you end up using!
[Reply]
kenstogie 05:49 PM 11-12-2009
Any time. Just make sure you use the correct calculation for whatever type of sugar you end up using!
[Reply]
Scimmia 06:31 PM 11-12-2009
It could be worse than that, glass bottles tend to explode if overcarbed too much. That would take quite a bit, but it's happened over and over again.
[Reply]
kenstogie 06:59 PM 11-12-2009
It could be worse than that, glass bottles tend to explode if overcarbed too much. That would take quite a bit, but it's happened over and over again.
I never had a bottle explode (thankfully). I assumed that the caps would blow off. The actual glass blow apart?
[Reply]
Scimmia 08:24 PM 11-12-2009
Yep, they generally call them "bottle bombs". It's usually from bottling before fermentation is done, but way too much priming sugar could do the same thing.
[Reply]
Darrell 08:31 PM 11-12-2009
Is Northern Brewer a pretty good site to order from?

Also, what are "prime" conditions for aging beer?
[Reply]
cherrybomb 08:37 PM 11-12-2009
darrell pretty much the same conditions for wine; cellar temperature 55- 60 degrees and try to keep the temperature as constant as you can
[Reply]
Darrell 08:38 PM 11-12-2009
Is beer even worth aging?
[Reply]
Scimmia 08:41 PM 11-12-2009
And yes, Northern Brewer is a good site, but being in Cali, I would suggest MoreBeer.com. In fact, they have a retail outlet pretty close to you from the looks of it.
[Reply]
Scimmia 08:42 PM 11-12-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Is beer even worth aging?
Depends on the beer. Generally beers like barleywines and imperial stouts age well, while hoppy or ligher beers don't.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 70
« First < 234 561454 > Last »
Up