Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Caldwell - The King is Dead
RevSmoke 06:20 PM 04-18-2020
Caldwell - The King Is Dead
5X50? The Robusto?

Aesthetics: This stick is enveloped by slightly oily EMS colored wrapper EMS with some veins, the seam showing, and a strange discoloration following one of the veins (never saw this before). It is sealed with a pigtail cap. I like the band depicting a chair split in half - the colors of the band blend nicely with the hues of the wrapper.

Pre-light Construction: A very firm cigar from foot to head, with nice heft to it. There's a pretty light nose of hay, sweetgrass, a light spice and something else. (it is the next morning, I figured out the smell I could not identify when I put a spoonful of raw honey in my morning tea)

Flavor & Strength: This is not a powerful cigar by any means with subdued flavors that I was having difficulty identifying - but I really liked it. Seemed to have slight hints of pepper, an ephemeral sweetness, it appears to taste like the whole wheat bread I make with honey and Guiness beer. It was a nice smoke to exhale through the nose (I call it snorking), sometimes non-Cubans tend to really be hard on the nose, this was pleasant, where I really got the bread notes.

Post-light Construction: It burned well, not 100% straight, but no touch-ups were needed despite the very breezy conditions. It’s grey and white mottled ash clung tenaciously until I bumped it.

Finish: I was drinking a double IPA, so that might have something to do with it, but the finish was light and very fleeting what seemed to be white chocolate with a bit of pepper.

Aroma: Again, I had the wheat bread smell.

General Comments: Another Caldwell where I picked up flavors I could not readily identify, but found thoroughly enjoyable. A great smoke! As you can see, I smoked it to the nub and it was wonderful right to the end!

[Reply]
The Poet 06:29 PM 04-18-2020
Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed it, and only sorry you didn't get the chance to enjoy it out in the woods.
[Reply]
Weelok 07:16 PM 04-18-2020
Now that may be beyond nub and into tooth pick range hah. Nice, might win some in auction so may try this in a few weeks.
[Reply]
longknocker 03:52 AM 04-19-2020
Good Stick And Review, Todd! Thanks!:-):-). Can Anyone Tell Me The Differences Between The King Is Dead & Long Live The King Versions??? I Have A Difficult Time Determing Cigar Nuances.:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 11:44 AM 04-19-2020
Great review, Todd. :-)

Greg, I find the LLtK to have a much nuttier profile than the King is Dead. I pick up flavoes of cashews and other nuts with LLtK, where I don't with the other. I like them both, but just scored another 10 LLtK on CigarBid as they have become my go-to NC at this point.
[Reply]
longknocker 02:38 AM 04-24-2020
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Great review, Todd. :-)

Greg, I find the LLtK to have a much nuttier profile than the King is Dead. I pick up flavoes of cashews and other nuts with LLtK, where I don't with the other. I like them both, but just scored another 10 LLtK on CigarBid as they have become my go-to NC at this point.
:-) Thanks, Brother!:-) Impressive Rating Since I Know You Don't Smoke That Many NC's.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 08:02 AM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by longknocker:
:-) Thanks, Brother!:-) Impressive Rating Since I Know You Don't Smoke That Many NC's.
Actually, I smoke more NCs that CCs lately, as that is what is left in the humidor and as I had two CC packages confiscated (2016 & 2018) and have been fearful of ordering much as I figure my name and address are now "flagged."

I also have had some members give me "store" cash at some of the NC online retailers as we have not B&M less than an hour from us.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
The camaro show 05:02 PM 04-25-2020
Great review!
[Reply]
icehog3 05:56 PM 04-25-2020

Just received a litter of 10 in the mail from C-bid.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:42 PM 04-26-2020
Originally Posted by icehog3:

Just received a litter of 10 in the mail from C-bid.
Those look more like, Long Live The King! Jus' saying!
[Reply]
icehog3 08:45 AM 04-27-2020
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Those look more like, Long Live The King! Jus' saying!
You would be correct. I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. :-)
[Reply]
Up