Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigars you enjoyed once upon a time
G G 04:17 PM 05-15-2020
Howdy friends. I just ordered a box of Oliva Serie O from Holt's during their sale. I love the Vs, and the Masterblends too. I smoked quite a few O's but it's been quite a few years since I had one. I was wondering how many of you buy cigars that you haven't had in years then the realize when you get them that you no longer care for them as much as you once did?

I remember way back in the day when Shilala was raving about the El Mejor Espresso. I liked them a lot back then and didn't have any for quite a few years. I ordered a bundle and they are still good to me. Those Nestor Maduros I believe Greg Dunn turned me onto were great back then and I haven't had one in many years now. I do have one left in my humi, and I will probably smoke it soon to see if it is still something I like.

Can't wait the get the Oliva O's so I can smoke a few and see if they are as good to me as the once were.
[Reply]
kydsid 04:41 PM 05-15-2020
I miss the heck outa the O cloth band cigars. O M G

I actually need to get some Vs, haven't had one in a while.
[Reply]
G G 05:10 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by kydsid:
I miss the heck outa the O cloth band cigars. O M G

I actually need to get some Vs, haven't had one in a while.
You know I had two of those cloth banded that Mac gave me at Epic in 2011. I held onto both of them for a while, but finally smoked one about 4 years ago. Then when Mac passed away, I smoked the other one in his honor. They are great cigars for sure.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:52 PM 05-15-2020
Aging Room Maduros were great for me when they first came out. Now they're just...meh.
[Reply]
The Poet 06:13 AM 05-16-2020
Used to smoke Maria Mancini cigars on a regular basis, but have not had one in years.
[Reply]
G G 09:18 AM 05-16-2020
I used to like the Indian Tabac Limited Reserve way back. None to be had nowadays I don't think.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:48 AM 05-16-2020

La Vieja Habana The Early Years Silencios. :-)
[Reply]
G G 06:25 PM 05-17-2020
Okay, so the Oliva O's came in yesterday while I was on my 24 hour tour. Got home this morning and cracked the box open and smoked one. It was pretty good to me, but I believe I like the Master Blends better and with the special Holt's runs on the Master Blends fairly regularly I will just buy 20 of those for the same price a box of 20 of the O's cost me.
[Reply]
4WheelVFR 08:50 PM 05-17-2020
Maria Mancini magic mountain and the vieja habanas that Tom posted. Used to enjoy these many years ago.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:09 AM 05-18-2020
I'd like to re-visit NC Partagas Limited Reserve or Humitube cigars. 25 years ago they were something special.
[Reply]
Snook 03:59 PM 05-18-2020
Camachos. More specifically, pre-Davidoff Camachos. They had a distinct flavor and a lot of strength for that time. I'd love to get my hands on a box of those.
I also remember smoking a lot of CAO cameroons. I need to re-visit that one.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 05:01 PM 05-18-2020
Consuegras... so many Consuegras. I don’t know if I’d go back to them. But, maybe I should try an El Rey Del Mundo. I think one of my first good cigar box purchases was some Flor de la Vonda
[Reply]
G G 07:13 PM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by Snook:
Camachos. More specifically, pre-Davidoff Camachos. They had a distinct flavor and a lot of strength for that time. I'd love to get my hands on a box of those.
I also remember smoking a lot of CAO cameroons. I need to re-visit that one.
I enjoyecCamachos as well.
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
Consuegras... so many Consuegras. I don’t know if I’d go back to them. But, maybe I should try an El Rey Del Mundo. I think one of my first good cigar box purchases was some Flor de la Vonda
I like the El Rey del Munro too.
[Reply]
The Poet 07:27 PM 05-18-2020
I still keep a handful of Consuegra Rothschild maduros around. Think I'll dig one out now. :-)
[Reply]
hammondc 06:12 AM 05-19-2020
The original RP 1990/1992 from 1999/2000 (?). Back before he turned into Kaizid Hansotia
[Reply]
RevSmoke 09:25 AM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Used to smoke Maria Mancini cigars on a regular basis, but have not had one in years.
I know some places no longer have those available.

I remember the hype over them and a few others that Lew Rothman was behind beginning at the end of the boom, featuring the great Habano 2000 (H2000) wrapper.

I remember they were a really great cigar, especially at the price point. I also have not had one in years... but I have a reason... the last one I did have was nothing like the ones of the past.

That brings up a point. Some blends have evolved, trying to find tobaccos to emulate the flavors that were present in the inception of a blend are no longer available. I am guessing a maker has 2 options: 1)press forward w/a best effort, making due with replacement leaves that are "close", but it is not quite right... 2)stop production of that particular blend.

(what follows is my own personal opinion. That, and $2.11 will get you a "grande" size black coffee at the coffee shop in Clintonville, WI. So, take it for what it is worth.)

I know some cigars from long ago that are almost spot on... (in my opinion, the El Rey del Mundo Robusto is one that tastes very similar)

Others have evolved with replacement tobacco, making their best effort... some are good, in their own right, but ARE NOT THE ORIGINAL (AF Hemingways)... Some should just stop as they are not close, and an embarrassment to the original (Rocky Patel The Edge and some Tatuaje brown labels)

That is my :-)

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 09:45 AM 05-19-2020
I used to love LGC made in Miami. I miss those a lot.
I still love the Henry Clay rolled in the DR.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:43 PM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by icehog3:

La Vieja Habana The Early Years Silencios. :-)
:-)

I also was a Torano whore. :-) Couldn't get enough of the Exodus 59 Silver label and the Casa Torano was a damn fine mild cigar.

Fact: The Torano family farms were the largest producer of cuban tobacco before the Revolution.
[Reply]
Havanaaddict 01:19 PM 05-19-2020
When I first started smoking cigars I loved:

Padrón 1964 Anniversary Series

Fuente Fuente OpusX

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos

Arturo Fuente Hemingway

The Punch Gran Cru

La Gloria Cubana Wavell

Excalibur

But I have not smoked one in 18 years!!!
[Reply]
The camaro show 07:55 PM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
:-)

I also was a Torano whore. :-) Couldn't get enough of the Exodus 59 Silver label and the Casa Torano was a damn fine mild cigar.

Fact: The Torano family farms were the largest producer of cuban tobacco before the Revolution.
Did Torano go down hill some?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up