Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 34 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar Smoking Technique
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:04 PM 10-21-2008
thanks for posting! Useful read for everyone.
[Reply]
Scottw 10:17 PM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by kayaker:
I think it has to do with keeping the smoke from the lighting process from traveling up the cut cigar. However, you don't get the opportunity to test the draw before you start.
You are correct sir! This is the case but as stated, you can't tell the draw this way unless you are revs friend from the other forum who smokes stogies without cutting the cap!
[Reply]
lightning9191 10:41 AM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo:
Nice post :-)

This should be a sticky!!
:-) This is a great post!
[Reply]
Dgar 04:57 PM 10-28-2008
Great post.

In it you said every cigar has it's sweet spot would this include the Nub cigars. :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 07:41 PM 10-28-2008
Everyone learn how to snork if you do not already do so. Great post.
[Reply]
ahc4353 12:26 PM 10-29-2008
Thanks for the lighting tips Dave. Ever since reading this I have used the above technique and what a difference it has made. Just taking those extra few seconds lighting the cigar makes a HUGE difference.
[Reply]
hogg 11:29 PM 11-07-2008
Exhaling through the nose- best thing I ever learned. I can't believe no one I smoke with does it- it is good to see it mentioned so I don't feel like I am crazy. I don't remember who I picked that up from but for years I have been enjoying cigars so much more than before.
[Reply]
MLC 10:34 PM 11-17-2008
Excellent info.
[Reply]
icantbejon 04:19 AM 11-18-2008
how would one go about learning the nose exhale thing? I assume that to exhale through the nose, you have to inhale into the lungs? Am I stupid for this belief? I've been reading more and more about the nose thing and I just have no idea how to do it. Little help please.
[Reply]
Buena Fortuna 05:46 AM 11-18-2008
Exhaling through your nose is the only true way to taste the entire flavor profile of a cigar.

Flavor is a combination of two sensory perceptions: taste and aroma. The first part of the flavor duo of taste and aroma is perceived by the taste buds and other sensory tissues on the tongue. It is this area which perceives non-volatile stimuli such as: salt, sweet, acid (sour) and bitter. These taste buds are generally located in very specific areas on the tongue (sweet in front, salt next and along the sides, acid (sour) next and along the sides, bitter in the rear and from side to side covering the back of the tongue). However, all types of taste buds can be found located sparsely throughout the tongue's entire surface.

The olfactory (scent) receptors in the nasal passages, in contrast, are fine-tuned and discriminating. A normal person can tell the difference between 4000-10,000 smells.

I was at a cigar event where Christian Eiroa was presenting Camacho cigars. He explained and demonstrated the process as follows:

Take in a draw of smoke, hold it in your mouth for 3-5 seconds, place your tounge up on the roof of your mouth behind your top row of teeth, and exhale throuh your nose. (Note to newbies at this, make sure you don't take in too much of a draw, and also let some smoke exhale out of your mouth either before or after exhaling through the nose...and don't inhale)

By following this process, you will soon begin to be able to discern the complexities and distinct flavors of cigars.

(As a side note, milk is perfect for cleansing your palate before smoking a cigar.)
[Reply]
icantbejon 05:56 AM 11-18-2008
Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna:
Exhaling through your nose is the only true way to taste the entire flavor profile of a cigar.

Flavor is a combination of two sensory perceptions: taste and aroma. The first part of the flavor duo of taste and aroma is perceived by the taste buds and other sensory tissues on the tongue. It is this area which perceives non-volatile stimuli such as: salt, sweet, acid (sour) and bitter. These taste buds are generally located in very specific areas on the tongue (sweet in front, salt next and along the sides, acid (sour) next and along the sides, bitter in the rear and from side to side covering the back of the tongue). However, all types of taste buds can be found located sparsely throughout the tongue's entire surface.

The olfactory (scent) receptors in the nasal passages, in contrast, are fine-tuned and discriminating. A normal person can tell the difference between 4000-10,000 smells.

I was at a cigar event where Christian Eiroa was presenting Camacho cigars. He explained and demonstrated the process as follows:

Take in a draw of smoke, hold it in your mouth for 3-5 seconds, place your tounge up on the roof of your mouth behind your top row of teeth, and exhale throuh your nose. (Note to newbies at this, make sure you don't take in too much of a draw, and also let some smoke exhale out of your mouth either before or after exhaling through the nose...and don't inhale)

By following this process, you will soon begin to be able to discern the complexities and distinct flavors of cigars.

(As a side note, milk is perfect for cleansing your palate before smoking a cigar.)

Thanks man. That is a great technique for me to try. I'll give it a whirl the next time I light one up.
[Reply]
trogdor 01:11 PM 11-25-2008
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
Thanks man. That is a great technique for me to try. I'll give it a whirl the next time I light one up.
Train yourself with MILD cigars... if you start with stronger ones before you learn to modulate the amount of smoke you won't have a very pleasant experience. Once you get the hang of it, it's a whole new world of flavors/aromas.
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 01:40 PM 11-25-2008
Exhaling through the nose was taught me by Scott, the Front Range Herfer. My entire smoking experience was changed at that moment, and I am eternally grateful to him. The only downside is that I have no desire to smoke with a sinus cold.

Thank you Scott!
[Reply]
trogdor 01:53 PM 12-01-2008
Something else that is very useful is purging the cigar - blowing through it for a breath. I've found that doing this after the flavors start to go off a little can refresh them again. I usually do it a ocuple of times per cigar, usually after the halfway point.
[Reply]
Catfish 10:37 AM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:
... hot boxing some of the worlds finest cigars in PPP's.

Huh? Sorry, I don't understand what that is but I certainly don't want to do it. What do you mean?
[Reply]
Da Klugs 10:41 AM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by Catfish:
Huh? Sorry, I don't understand what that is but I certainly don't want to do it. What do you mean?
Late at night certain crazy freinds pull out silly expensive old cigars and put them in Puff Puff Passes. (Couiple puffs and pass it on to the next smoker) It's fun and a great way to experience the contrast in flavors. It also tends to overheat the cigars a bit unless you are careful. (hotbox)
[Reply]
Kreth 10:47 AM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna:
Take this with a grain of salt, as it's a newbie opinion... Tongue in place as above, tighten up your throat like you're going to swallow, and then give a light cough. You're not really inhaling, but this forces this smoke out through your nose.
[Reply]
Catfish 10:47 AM 01-19-2009
understood. Thanks. I have big luv for all my Brothers-Of-The-Leaf but I have to say, I don't ever think i could be part of a Puff-Puff-Pass. Call me whatever ya want, that just sounds kinda yuck-o.
[Reply]
Da Klugs 10:51 AM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by Catfish:
understood. Thanks. I have big luv for all my Brothers-Of-The-Leaf but I have to say, I don't ever think i could be part of a Puff-Puff-Pass. Call me whatever ya want, that just sounds kinda yuck-o.
Friggin virgins... :-)
[Reply]
Cigary 10:59 AM 01-19-2009
Great Post Klug's,,,,a video on this would be perfect! As far as learning how to "snork" a cigar a brother told me how to do it the easiest way I ever heard. After drawing the smoke into your mouth let out about 70% and then bend your head over just enough to where you feel your throat tighten and then let the rest of the smoke out thru your nose. Do this a few times to where you are comfortable with the amount of smoke coming thru your nasal cavity. As was said, smoke a cigar that isn't full bodied so you don't "burn" your nose hairs off. This was the easiest way for me to learn how to snork a cigar.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 34 > Last »
Up