Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Budget wine thread
OLS 09:25 AM 05-20-2011
Haha, that's right. "There are too many threads where people come in and try to re-ask the questions the
OP asked, to frame them in their own terms." haha. Or something like that.
Like was said, only
the OP knows what he asked and why he asked it. If the thread has no merit, it will die a quick death to the
high-numbered pages. I had this happen to me the other day, someone was bound and determined to tell me
what I meant by what I asked. WTF?
[Reply]
Volusianator 10:06 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Looks like you may have to consider changing your user name. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL
[Reply]
hammondc 08:53 PM 05-20-2011
337 Cabernet- Pretty good stuff. A little astringent, but still worth the ~$11.
[Reply]
BigCat 10:22 AM 05-21-2011
Originally Posted by hammondc:
337 Cabernet- Pretty good stuff. A little astringent, but still worth the ~$11.
+1. I like this stuff.
[Reply]
markem 10:36 AM 05-21-2011
Okay, I'll admit to a very strange way of picking cheap wines that seems to work for us. For some reason, picking the bottle with the really cool animal seems to work. On rare occasions, it is a spectacular failure, but most of the time, we like the wine we pick with that method.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:46 AM 05-21-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
Okay, I'll admit to a very strange way of picking cheap wines that seems to work for us. For some reason, picking the bottle with the really cool animal seems to work. On rare occasions, it is a spectacular failure, but most of the time, we like the wine we pick with that method.
That one bottle of "white" wine you picked up with the picture of a dog peeing, was not very good. A little to warm for me...
[Reply]
smokepuff 06:54 PM 05-21-2011
Woodbridge Lightly oaked Chardonnay white @ $7 @ Shop-N-Save Sale Price only :-)
Mount Pleasant Norton (Missouri winery) @ $20

I usually stock up on anything from Missouri Winery at local mart discounted price
And that's how I drink wine on a budget
[Reply]
OnlyDryReds 11:37 AM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Looks like you may have to consider changing your user name. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmmmmmmm Yes I see that!

Well Ill think of something while drinking a Mondavi Woodbridge Chard this evening. :-)
[Reply]
vankleekkw 11:15 AM 05-28-2011
A couple of cheaper wines that I've been drinking
Bonterra - An organic wine for ~ $12
BV
Penfolds
Chateau st. John
[Reply]
pektel 03:29 AM 06-11-2011
Had a bottle of 2007 castle rock napa valley Cabernet sauvignon tonight, and am pleasantly surprised. A little heavy on the tart fruit and less dry and oaky like some others, but still very enjoyable. 12.49 at my local liquor store. May go pick up a case tomorrow to put away and see what happens after some of that fruit dies down.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
jjmitchem 04:05 AM 06-11-2011
A few years back my wife and I became really good friends with the owner of our local wine store - she everything from $3 to $500 bottles as well as an incredible selection of great beers

as she got to know our taste (we had been trying the better stuff every once in a while) she suggested a bottle of Crane Lake Cab - at $4 a bottle that became our daily driver so to speak and it is really good
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:42 AM 06-11-2011
For under $20 and an "honest wine", I would look for wines from:

Alentejano, Dao, Douro - Portugal
Chinnon - France
Rioja - Spain

I most cases, you should be able to find "Reserva" wines from each appellation.
[Reply]
hammondc 06:43 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
For under $20 and an "honest wine", I would look for wines from:

Alentejano, Dao, Douro - Portugal
Chinnon - France
Rioja - Spain

I most cases, you should be able to find "Reserva" wines from each appellation.
Thanks for the suggestion. I need to do some stocking up. I will look for these.
[Reply]
pektel 08:11 PM 06-16-2011
FYI,I may be wrong, but I believe "reserva" has no legal bearing regarding US wines. I know mosesbotl listed foreign wines, just saying in regards to united states wines. Also not saying that US wineries abuse the label.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
hammondc 05:47 PM 06-17-2011
Picked up a Rioja and Douro today.

Proximo by Marques de Riscal Riojo
Charamba Douro
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:16 PM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by hammondc:
Picked up a Rioja and Douro today.

Proximo by Marques de Riscal Riojo
Charamba Douro
The Charamba is a good deal for its price. I have had it back to 2000 and is still holding up well. What year did you get? I don't know the Rioja. Please update us with your results!
[Reply]
timj219 08:53 PM 06-17-2011
I don't know about availability out of state but NY wines from the finger lakes are generally inexpensive and some are outstanding. Dr Konstantin Frank, Anthony Road, and Sheldrake Point vineyards are three that come to mind. Most of their bottles come in under $30 with a fair number under $20
[Reply]
hammondc 08:08 AM 06-18-2011
The Charamba was a 2007. I agree. Had it last night and I was shocked at how good it was for $8. Seems very similar to a Pinot Noir to me. It is one I definitely will keep on hand.
[Reply]
ronzorelli 08:37 AM 06-18-2011
My wife and I are pretty fond of a local wine called Kick Butt Cab. It's from Texas Hills Vineyard and runs about $18.

Llano Estacado Winery, another local winery, has a really good "cheap" Pino Grigio for about $9.
[Reply]
Tyler 09:50 AM 06-18-2011
Great suggestions fellas. I have tried quite a few of the ones mentioned and have found them great as well.

A few more to add (I am on my phone so I hope these have not been mentioned already):

Menage a Trois California Red
Clos Du Bois Chardonnay 2009
Alamos Malbec
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up